Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Advice for soon to be IB student? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting the IB next year, and I would really like to succeed in it - hopefully score around a 40.

Is there any advice which I should know right off the bat? Anything which you wish you would have known?

For context, my HL's are English Lit., Economics and History and my SL's are Danish A, Mathematics and Chemistry.

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Don't leave work to the last minute.
    Do your homework
    Plan your IAs and EE as soon as possible
    Study your next lesson as much as you can
    Study what you learnt as frequently as possible
    balance your social life, school work and sleep- All three are possible
    Get as much CAS done in Year 1- You'll regret it if you don't
    And I think that's about it...
    Sincerely,
    An IB student revising for her Maths HL Paper 1 tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    All of the above and also after every topic you finish take a few days (if you have time) to make revision notes so that by the time exams come around you can just learn them off by heart! Also do past papers especially for maths SL. The questions are always altered versions of previous questions. IB maths questionbank is really helpful for that.

ReputationRep:
    My advice for you would be to not do IB. It has been the two worst years of my life.

ReputationRep:
    Hahahahahahahahaahahahaha

HAHAHAHAHA

*cries*

My advice is that antidepressants help a lot.

(also don't leave your world lit and EE writing until the beginning of second year lol, writing 7k words in a week is not ideal)

ReputationRep:
    do not... i repeat DO NOT....take history higher (you'll thank me later)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unigirl2017)
    do not... i repeat DO NOT....take history higher (you'll thank me later)
    I honestly didn't find it that hard.. I feel like it just depends on your strengths like I'd die in any higher level science

ReputationRep:
    Im going to be taking HL maths history economics ,SL Spanish ,English lit,physics

any tips from people taking these subjects
    I plan to get a headstart on the IB maths Spanish and economics in the summer before I start

ReputationRep:
    I might trade out physics for biology as its an easier science
    and how difficult is each subject I have chosen?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattjuan)
    Im going to be taking HL maths history economics ,SL Spanish ,English lit,physics

I plan to get a headstart on the IB maths Spanish and economics in the summer before I start
    Okay HL maths is really hard. If you're really good at maths then take it, if you're average or not that great then DO NOT TAKE HL MATHS! Also HL history is okay, it's a lot of studying but I didn't find it impossible. SL Spanish is not too hard. I'm guessing Spanish B? English lit I would honestly trade for English Lang and Lit as it's a lot less content in the syllabus and since you're taking subjects that have a lot of content, I'd trade that. Biology really is the easier science and I would recommend it if you have a good memory as it's A LOT of information. If you're better at theory and understanding things then defo do physics. Basically as you've chosen subjects that are a lot to study be sure that you can manage it when exam time comes.

ReputationRep:
    For me I took HL History, French B and English lang and lit, which meant that I didn't have a crazy amount of studying to do for my HL's. For SL I took Maths, Bio and Psychology. So basically most of my studying was just for Maths, Psych and Bio, which significantly cut down my work load.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattjuan)

I took Maths HL and Spanish B SL.
    For Maths, I would definitely revise my basics a lot and know them like my life depended on it.
    For Spanish- work on your grammar, especially the subjunctivo- examiners like it. Also, practice speaking. I would use Duolingo to maybe expand your vocabulary.

ReputationRep:
    could someone explain to me what the extra for HL is ,is it another bunch of topics aswell?

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting IB next year but i am struggling to choose my hl courses. I want to take psychology, visual arts and biology HL and english A, german initio and maths SL.

Is english A HL hard to pass?
    Can i choose bioiogy HL even though i am not gonna study medicine in university, cause i heard that biology HL is easier to pass?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by esen01k)
    I'm starting IB next year but i am struggling to choose my hl courses. I want to take psychology, visual arts and biology HL and english A, german initio and maths SL.

Is english A HL hard to pass?
    Can i choose bioiogy HL even though i am not gonna study medicine in university, cause i heard that biology HL is easier to pass?
    Would you do English A Lang and Lit or English A Lit? I took English Lang and Lit HL and while there was a decent amount of homework, the exams weren't too different from the SL ones, so I would say it is an easier HL.
    I took Biology HL even though I won't study it in uni and it was fine. Take it if you are good at memorizing. While the coursework itself is relatively easy, studying for exams is harder because of the sheer amount of information you need to know.

Poll
Do you enjoy your job?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.