The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by socialdisaster
Students are always going to kick off, it's been a recurring theme since universities started. I think it's important to remember that most of the stuff you hear about 'PC gone mad' is overexposure, and the number of people who actually think like that is extremely small. Most people just want to go through life without having the n-word or the f-slur directed at them.

Yes, it is a small minority that agitates for the extreme levels of PC that get on people's nerves. The problem is that they often get their way, because it's too much effort for people to oppose them. This is particularly so because normal, well-adjusted people often have other things going on in their lives.

And there was a time when students kicked off in favour of free speech, rather than against anything that hurt their precious feelings and made them feel a little bit sad.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Yes, it is a small minority that agitates for the extreme levels of PC that get on people's nerves. The problem is that they often get their way, because it's too much effort for people to oppose them. This is particularly so because normal, well-adjusted people often have other things going on in their lives.

And there was a time when students kicked off in favour of free speech, rather than against anything that hurt their precious feelings and made them feel a little bit sad.

I suppose since our society's a lot more free now they've run out of big issues to protest about :biggrin:

I think we just put too much focus on the minority - we should be working towards fixing the inequalities that do still exist across the globe, rather than debating whether or not 'brainstorming' is offensive to sufferers of epilepsy or whatever. And a lot of the time the groups that are supposedly being offended aren't fazed in the slightest, it's just that people blow the issue up out of proportion in outrage on both sides of the argument.
Yeah it really has gone too far
Original post by Sarahsez
A friend was nervous about wearing shalwar Kameez, because she was afraid her friends from oxford uni would accuse her of "cultural appropriation" I told her I'm Asian and i don't give a damn, and I thought it's pretty cool! Instead, she had to lie to her uni friends that I bought her the clothes and asked her to try it on like Wtf.

My work colleague was speaking about her doctors appointment, saying the doctor was really rude to her etc.
She couldn't pronounce the GPs name and the way she described it I could tell they were probably indian or at least asian, but when we asked her which doctor it was she wouldn't say "asian" or brown/indian/foreign or anything because she was "trying to be PC" and it was such an unnecessary thing to be so awkward about. It was ridiculous lol just say it.

Like she spent a good 5-10 minutes hinting that she was referring to the asian doctor and my work colleagues knew who she was talking about but were too afraid to just say "oh yeah the asian one?" or something like that.

There's literally nothing offensive about it but people take PC over the top and think they'll offend people over the most trivial things, but then again there probably are people who do get unnecessarily offended over something like that.
Personally I'm like idgaf, say what you like.
Original post by Jirga
maybe you need to retreat to a safe space?

lmfao did u say that unironically
Reply 45
Original post by babsxox
lmfao did u say that unironically

Yeah, it's ridiculous.

People need to just grow a thick skin, and not get triggered by the littlest of things.
Original post by Jirga

she is beautiful like me
I agree with being politically correct to a certain extent however it has definitely gone too far. I read the other day that you shouldn't address a group of boys and girls as "guys". This sucks for me because "hey guys" is the first thing I say to my friends
Of course it has gone too far. It's ridiculous.
My dad, on average, works a 12 hour a day manual shift. When he got home from work during the Labour leadership contest, he switched on the news to discover that the Labour Party debate that day had become not focused on reducing poverty, or improving working conditions, but whether the tiny amount of trans criminals were being misgendered in prison. How do you think that made him feel? Alienated, right?

Now this is where ‘PC culture’ has overstepped the mark it’s not that trans rights are not important because they are (just to clarify it’s not really the ‘trans’ bit im focused on here), but when potential PM’s take up valuable time talking about issues so ‘woke’ and so insignificant as trans criminals in prisons, when they could be focusing on reducing poverty and connecting with voters like my dad on livelihood issues that are important to 95% of people, then it has certainly gone too far.

Especially when it becomes ‘phobic’ to point such things out.
Was it the late, great George Carling that said Political correctness is fascism with manners?"
He was spot on.
Original post by caravaggio2
Was it the late, great George Carling that said Political correctness is fascism with manners?"
He was spot on.

But that’s why it’s become so easy to impose on people because the premise of it is essentially good manners. And of course, we should always be respectful and polite when we talk and debate.

But I think the difference between PC and good manners is that manners is done out of will, PC is done out of dogma.

Latest

Trending

Trending