The Student Room Group

Struggling with Driving! (Clutch control &a Hill Starts)

Hi everyone!

I'm currently in the process of learning to drive, I'm pretty confident, can take off, turn etc. But I get extremely panicky when having to stop for junctions and hill starts.
Sometimes, I get the bite just right and move off with no problems, other times I can be really slow and the car will jump or stall. It's really starting to get me down:frown:

Is it something that I will get better with practice? Because in order to get to my house, I have to stop at a junction, on a hill- and I'm now really panicking!

I have a Citroen ds3 and learn in the same.

Any tips or advice would be really appreciated!

Thanks
Original post by Louisesmm
Hi everyone!

I'm currently in the process of learning to drive, I'm pretty confident, can take off, turn etc. But I get extremely panicky when having to stop for junctions and hill starts.
Sometimes, I get the bite just right and move off with no problems, other times I can be really slow and the car will jump or stall. It's really starting to get me down:frown:

Is it something that I will get better with practice? Because in order to get to my house, I have to stop at a junction, on a hill- and I'm now really panicking!

Thanks

I think you meant to post this in Cars and Motoring...

@Reality Check
Hi everyone!

Thanks

Always use more revs than you think you'll need, especially on an incline! When finding the biting point ensure the handbrake is up, and find the bite. Once you have found the biting point (when the car dips down slightly), release the handbrake and lift up the clutch slowly and you should be moving off smoothly :smile:.
Hopefully you'll get more relevant replies here.
Reply 4
Hi everyone!

Thanks

The way the engine works means that the clutch connects the bits that make it go. So with the clutch below the bite point, the car won't go - it's like you haven't plugged it in yet. Above the biting point, the car can go.
So don't be afraid to put your foot on the accelerator. If you're not at the bite point, you'll just make a lot of noise. If you are at the bite point, you'll start going!

But you need to be aware that different cars do have different bite points. I've driven 2 Corsas, and with one the bite was quite low but with the other it was very high. This can be adjusted, so even if it's exactly the same car (same model and year) it could be different because of how it was set up. This means you need to think about what happens at the bite point - the car feels like it's going to go - and react to that feeling and not just where your foot is.
Hi everyone!

Thanks

Yeah you will for sure get better with practice.
The best way to avoid stalling for me is gas first then slowly release the clutch
Reply 6
Gas is important. Depending on the incline, I usually have my revs on about 2000. Find the bite with the handbrake on and when you release it, don't forget to keep the revs consistent. Sloooooooowly is key with the clutch to prevent stalling or lurching forward (literally say it like that in your head, or out loud like I used to LOL). I only passed a couple of weeks ago and still feel uneasy on hill starts/junctions. Luckily my car has hill start assist to prevent me rolling backwards!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest