The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Wait but isn't Cambridge better for Education than Durham?
Oh look at you, aren't you so special that you can turn down an offer from the prestigious Cambridge. Wow. I'm glad you made this irrelevant thread to show off how talented you are.

Cambridge University is full of annoying toffs who think they're better than everyone. The city itself is awful; it's a student city which is bad enough. There are no good clubs. There's not very much to do as it's a small place. And living costs are sky high. £4.50 for a pint of beer, and £800/month to rent a 1 bed studio flat.

The only good thing about Cambridge is that it has no unemployment, anyone can get a job.
Reply 82
Original post by 04MR17
Let me clear this up. Legally, if you tick the box on a job application form which says "Do you class yourself as disabled?" Then they have to give you an interview. I don't think it's fair either, but I'm not going to leave that opportunity since I can legitimately tick it.

Nope, that's not a thing. They will take any extenuating circumstances into account but that by no means guarantees an interview for every job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Treeroy
There are no good clubs.

Oh, how terrible...
All this talk of steps... Hill college?

I don't really have any questions - anyone with maturity understands that the course and a particular person's disposition/goals are more important than ranking. You'll always get people questioning why but then again that is life. Regardless, once you graduate and get a good job it probably won't be such a big thing. When you're a kid it's all about how many friends you have, then what sixth form you go to, then what uni you get into, then what your degree result is, then what job you get, then how much money you make, ad nauseum etc etc forever. Best to do what's right for you imo
Original post by Treeroy
Oh look at you, aren't you so special that you can turn down an offer from the prestigious Cambridge. Wow. I'm glad you made this irrelevant thread to show off how talented you are.

Cambridge University is full of annoying toffs who think they're better than everyone. The city itself is awful; it's a student city which is bad enough. There are no good clubs. There's not very much to do as it's a small place. And living costs are sky high. £4.50 for a pint of beer, and £800/month to rent a 1 bed studio flat.

The only good thing about Cambridge is that it has no unemployment, anyone can get a job.
I'll just take a moment to appreciate the reason that gave you that attitude.

:rip:

Original post by StudyJosh
Wait but isn't Cambridge better for Education than Durham?
Yep. But I want the combined course with History. Which Cambridge have just stopped.
Original post by auburnstar
All this talk of steps... Hill college?

I don't really have any questions - anyone with maturity understands that the course and a particular person's disposition/goals are more important than ranking. You'll always get people questioning why but then again that is life. Regardless, once you graduate and get a good job it probably won't be such a big thing. When you're a kid it's all about how many friends you have, then what sixth form you go to, then what uni you get into, then what your degree result is, then what job you get, then how much money you make, ad nauseum etc etc forever. Best to do what's right for you imo
St Marys.:yes:
Thank you for your kind words.
I have an addition to your list: funeral attendance.:mmm:
Original post by Doonesbury
Nope, that's not a thing. They will take any extenuating circumstances into account but that by no means guarantees an interview for every job.
Under the "Disability confident" government scheme the following 3945 employers have agreed to offer disabled people an interview if they apply. So I agree, not everyone. But it is a thing.
Original post by 04MR17
I'll just take a moment to appreciate the reason that gave you that attitude.

:rip:

it's not an attitude, it's facts I am telling you after living here for my whole life. What's the "reason" in your opinion?
Reply 87
Original post by 04MR17
Under the "Disability confident" government scheme the following 3945 employers have agreed to offer disabled people an interview if they apply. So I agree, not everyone. But it is a thing.

Nope, you are ignoring the major caveat.

"Employers who have signed up to level 2 of 'Disability Confident' guarantee disabled people an interview if they meet the minimum criteria for the job vacancy. The scheme is not legally binding."

(And not all your 3,900 are Level 2...)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Treeroy
it's not an attitude, it's facts I am telling you after living here for my whole life. What's the "reason" in your opinion?
It is an attitude. Your opinions may be substantiated by fact, but there will be some people who disagree with you, and will also have supporting evidence. Therefore, your opinions are still limited, and so your presentation of these ideas as concrete represents your settled way of thinking, otherwise called an attitude. If your arguments featured more balance, then I would have been less tempted to define them as indicative of an attitude.

I'm not going to speculate on your underlying reason(s) since I know nothing about you apart from you liver in Cambridge and don't like the university; which is why I haven't already speculated: because my chances of getting it wrong are high.
Nope, you are ignoring the major caveat.

"Employers who have signed up to level 2 of 'Disability Confident' guarantee disabled people an interview if they meet the minimum criteria for the job vacancy. The scheme is not legally binding."
Fair enough. But applying this to me, it's unlikely that I'll ever apply to a job hat I don't meet the criteria for.
Reply 90
Original post by 04MR17
Fair enough. But applying this to me, it's unlikely that I'll ever apply to a job hat I don't meet the criteria for.

Well as an interviewer/employer I would generally interview anyone "who meet the essential criteria on a person specification and consider them on their abilities" anyway. Does that mean I interview all applicants? No.

Anyway, this isn't really relevant to the discussion about your rejecting Cambridge in favour of Durham; it's not your university that matters most to an employer, it's the person.

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well as an interviewer/employer I would generally interview anyone "who meet the essential criteria on a person specification and consider them on their abilities" anyway. Does that mean I interview all applicants? No.

Anyway, this isn't really relevant to the discussion about your rejecting Cambridge in favour of Durham; it's not your university that matters most to an employer, it's the person.

:smile:
I know what you mean having been on both sides of the interview desk myself.:wink:
Original post by AForAmelia
I got rejected from Cambridge... this definitely makes me sad but nonetheless, well done finding courage to reject a highly prestigious university.

Where did you end up? Dont worry, you can always go to Graduate school at Cambridge.
Reply 93
Original post by 04MR17
I know what you mean having been on both sides of the interview desk myself.:wink:

Indeed.

Are you a mature student?
Original post by Wired_1800
Where did you end up? Dont worry, you can always go to Graduate school at Cambridge.

I'm going to be going to Imperial to do Mathematics instead :smile:
Indeed.

Are you a mature student?
Nope.:nah: I've just been in strange jobs that has had 15/16/17 year olds interviewing other 15/16/17 years olds. The group-task stuff in the morning is more fun to observe than conducting the interviews in the afternoon.
Original post by AForAmelia
I'm going to be going to Imperial to do Mathematics instead :smile:

Nice. Imperial is undoubtly on par with Cambridge, so you are sorted.

Brace yourself for the soul-crushing work though. All the best :biggrin:
What are your work habits?
Original post by Kravence
At least you will be one of the few who turned down Cambridge :K:

There were over 800 who said "no" to the Cambridge BA in 2015.

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/sites/www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/undergrad_admissions_statistics_2015_cyle.pdf
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Good on you, Cambridge is a shithole :yep:

Unbiased opinion, obvs :ninja:

It's actually better than Oxford now that I've left. Which doesn't make it very good, of course.

Latest

Trending

Trending