The Student Room Group

how to prep for UKCAT?

do I work on a topic at a time or as many topics as you can within a day?
it varies tbh. from what I have seen decision analysis had definitely changed since I last did it but abstract reasoning, verbal reasoning, SJT, and mathematics is the same.

verbal prep: just read and improve reading speed.
mathematics: practice gcse maths

abstract: do abstract tests

decision, learn the trend by doing questions (UKCAT website, Kaplan book, medify)

SJT: use commonsense

In general I would say use the UKCAT website & medify website, in addition to the kaplan book and whatever is the replacement to the 600 ukcat practice questions

when I did it previously, I did as many as I could in a day but restric the amount of questions you do.

I would say the hardest aspect of UKCAT is that you arne't allowed any water into the exam room (which is bad if you suffer from hydration issues)
(edited 6 years ago)
I did it last year and got an average of 773 (i think?)
I brought a book and used the app and website for practise by learning the test format and doing practise questions.
I'd start with a topic at a time and get used to it. Start timed questions as soon as possible as the timing is the difficult bit.
I then started doing mock tests so doing all topics on the same day closer to the exam.
Original post by Real_jenn
do I work on a topic at a time or as many topics as you can within a day?

Hi there!

It's a good idea to familiarise yourself with each section to begin with, and then answer practice questions (you can find these in our UKCAT Question Bank).

You could work through these section by section at first to get an idea of where your strengths and weaknesses are, and then move on to a full, timed UKCAT mock - also available in our question bank!

After that, then you might choose to go back and work on strengthening certain areas - for example, if you find VR particularly tricky you could spend some time focusing on that. However, it's important to find a good revision technique that works for you - whether this means working on one section for a whole day, or different sections in small chunks of time!

We have lots of different tips and preparation advice on our UKCAT Guide:

- UKCAT Verbal Reasoning Tips
- UKCAT Quantitative Reasoning Tips
- UKCAT Abstract Reasoning Tips
- UKCAT Decision Making Tips
- UKCAT Situational Judgement Tips

If you want extra help, you could also try our one-day UKCAT Course (at the moment we have a 5% discount - available till the end of this month!).

Hope this helps! :smile:
The Medic Portal
Original post by orangeee22
I did it last year and got an average of 773 (i think?)
I brought a book and used the app and website for practise by learning the test format and doing practise questions.
I'd start with a topic at a time and get used to it. Start timed questions as soon as possible as the timing is the difficult bit.
I then started doing mock tests so doing all topics on the same day closer to the exam.

Any tips for QR
Reply 5
Modafinil

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending