The Student Room Group

How to cram for Law AS OCR exams? 2 weeks left

So i've done 10 out the 14 booklets but I'm really anxious because I think when im going to go sit the exam, I'm going to forget all the acts, cases and information.

How can I cram all the detail of the topics so I can sit the exam confidently. Also, how can I remember all the facts. I use mindmaps and past exam questions but these don't really help me. also i got like 50 flashcards of cases and none of them are getting into my head

Thanks
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Danny Dorito so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

When it comes to the exam and you see what's on all this information you're trying to learn will more than likely come back to you, the question should spark your knowledge, try not to worry too much :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by ZS1
So i've done 10 out the 14 booklets but I'm really anxious because I think when im going to go sit the exam, I'm going to forget all the acts, cases and information.

How can I cram all the detail of the topics so I can sit the exam confidently. Also, how can I remember all the facts. I use mindmaps and past exam questions but these don't really help me. also i got like 50 flashcards of cases and none of them are getting into my head

Thanks

re-write each case description into you remember it word for word-that's what i did anyway a day before the exam and got a C. Now resitting sources of law to boost my A2 grade. don't worry too much about your grades this year though as you only need an E to get into A2 then the grade will be scrapped anyway if this is for the new specification. Hope this helps :h:
Reply 4
Original post by 2025
re-write each case description into you remember it word for word-that's what i did anyway a day before the exam and got a C. Now resitting sources of law to boost my A2 grade. don't worry too much about your grades this year though as you only need an E to get into A2 then the grade will be scrapped anyway if this is for the new specification. Hope this helps :h:

thanks for that man. I got all the cases and wrote them into flashcards, tagged them,and i read over them anywhere i got time.e.g bus, free's. My course is the last for the spec,which is lucky for me becuase the new spec has got rid of police powers and includes more topics like human rights and stuff. I'm keep going over past questions with notes first, then a few hours later without notes. Good luck with ur sources resit. is it next friday afternoon like me?
Reply 5
Original post by ZS1
thanks for that man. I got all the cases and wrote them into flashcards, tagged them,and i read over them anywhere i got time.e.g bus, free's. My course is the last for the spec,which is lucky for me becuase the new spec has got rid of police powers and includes more topics like human rights and stuff. I'm keep going over past questions with notes first, then a few hours later without notes. Good luck with ur sources resit. is it next friday afternoon like me?

Yes its next friday and I started revising yesterday-bit late i know but i kept all notes from last year so it's just a case of re-writing and I end up memorising the equivalent of at least three 15 mark questions per day. I've been advised by my teacher to revise judicial precedent most as its not come up for a few years. good luck. :smile: Also are you doing criminal law for A2?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by 2025
Yes its next friday and I started revising yesterday-bit late i know but i kept all notes from last year so it's just a case of re-writing and I end up memorising the equivalent of at least three 15 mark questions per day. I've been advised by my teacher to revise judicial precedent most as its not come up for a few years. good luck. :smile: Also are you doing criminal law for A2?

I'm fine with judicial precedent. but im going to delay revising 100% for sources of law until after tuesday, when i do ELS. Also, if we can do a JP question decently, we can get top marks because my law teacher said loads of students skip JP when they see the latin.:tongue: good luck to you 2 pal and hopefully next year im doing crim. Btw how do you memorise effectively. I look through my mindmaps, cover it up and rewrite it. then i check it, if i miss parts out i memorise that and redo it a few hours later. What techniques do you use to memorise the info basically:smile:
Reply 7
Original post by ZS1
I'm fine with judicial precedent. but im going to delay revising 100% for sources of law until after tuesday, when i do ELS. Also, if we can do a JP question decently, we can get top marks because my law teacher said loads of students skip JP when they see the latin.:tongue: good luck to you 2 pal and hopefully next year im doing crim. Btw how do you memorise effectively. I look through my mindmaps, cover it up and rewrite it. then i check it, if i miss parts out i memorise that and redo it a few hours later. What techniques do you use to memorise the info basically:smile:

I have model answers which my teacher marked from last year so i memorise one paragraph at a time and therefore usually takes about an hour to fully memorise each 15 mark question. I memorise each paragraph by re-writing it a couple of times until i can write the answer or paragraph without using any notes. Good luck with ELS-luckily i'm not resitting that exam :biggrin:. ps next year criminal law is awesome although you'll have 50 mark essays:eek: to look forward to. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by 2025
I have model answers which my teacher marked from last year so i memorise one paragraph at a time and therefore usually takes about an hour to fully memorise each 15 mark question. I memorise each paragraph by re-writing it a couple of times until i can write the answer or paragraph without using any notes. Good luck with ELS-luckily i'm not resitting that exam :biggrin:. ps next year criminal law is awesome although you'll have 50 mark essays:eek: to look forward to. :smile:

I know a lot of people who are predicting precedent to come up as it hasent for 2 years but don't you think they wont put it on because people are expecting it. Will statutory interpretation come up for 4 years in a row im worrying.
Reply 9
Original post by erzrocks
I know a lot of people who are predicting precedent to come up as it hasent for 2 years but don't you think they wont put it on because people are expecting it. Will statutory interpretation come up for 4 years in a row im worrying.

Don't panic. I very much doubt statutory interpretation will come up four years in a row and if it does many people won't have revised so will be in the same position so even if it was the case the grade boundaries would be very low. They won't miss out precedent because people are expecting it as each paper is made 4 years before it's sat. These are the topics i'm revising: legislation, law commission, precedent, and briefly delegated legislation. Personally I think EU law and precedent will come up, as the last time these topics came up together was 2009!
Reply 10
Original post by ZS1

How did you find the sources of law exam. EU and stat came up :eek:.
Reply 11
Original post by 2025
How did you find the sources of law exam. EU and stat came up :eek:.

terrible. i did EU. found it ok but was weak on the 15 marker on directives,regulations and treatys etc wby
Reply 12
Original post by ZS1
terrible. i did EU. found it ok but was weak on the 15 marker on directives,regulations and treatys etc wby

same. It wasn't all bad considering i have never gone over EU and I didn't revise any of stat this year. Luckily I remembered 4 literal cases from last year and two mischief rule cases. The only part I struggled on was the mischief rule question-even forgot the name of one of the cases despite being limited to remembering only two. :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending