Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I somehow managed AAAAA in my AS exams, (with 100% in four exams!!!!) , but they're in English (lang/Lit combo), Film, Media and Drama (and of course, general studies). Reckon they'd think those were good subjects? I know Media has a reputation of being a Mickey Mouse subject, but I want to go into teaching, and wonder whether it would benefit my communications area of teaching.

I don't even know if I'd like to go to Cambridge. I got straight A's in my GCSE's, and have experience in teaching... I just don't think they'd like my A Level subjects...

Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    Taken from the Clare College site:

What is your policy on 'non-traditional' A-level subjects, such as Art, History of Art, Media Studies or Theatre Studies? Could they form part of an offer?

We do take these subjects seriously, and they could certainly form part of an offer. A-level Art and History of Art courses vary, and those with a strong academic component are certainly acceptable in an Arts application. We feel that Media Studies and Theatre Studies have a very useful interdisciplinary character, which is good preparation for a range of Arts subjects, such as Social and Political Sciences, English Literature and History. For applicants with such subjects at A-level, we feel that a 'mix' of these and more academic subjects is most appropriate.

ReputationRep:
    if you're not sure if you want to go to cambridge, think about it seriously. that's your first battle to fight. then think about your subjects

ReputationRep:
    I think you can do Education, English and Drama at Homerton College.
    And 100% is something to make them notice you
    Congratulations on the fabulous grades by the way.

ReputationRep:
    Ooo i think you should apply with those grades at AS and your straight A's at GCSE!

I'm not sure whether to apply for Oxford or Cambridge either. For my A/S i got AAABC (100% on 1 exam!!! Almost on the others!) And hopefully in my resits i will bump the B up to an A and the C to a B (i took geography, history, english lang and lit, general studies and german btw)...but lol, my GCSE results were not straight A's...i worked really hard for my GCSE's too! lol...but i hear people that go to Oxbridge usually have like loads of A*'s and A's for GCSEs so i would just feel out of place!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your comments.

I think, in a selfish way, I'd rather go to a University that wouldn't normally ask for all A's... (i think I have a superiority complex ) and would get excited about the prospect of having me... is that awful of me? The college I'm at basically begged me to go there, which was nice, but also gave me a boost academically, as I realised I wasn't the norm...

I know I'm a selfish cow, but I'd like to be appreciated at a uni, rather than just make the grade and be under average.

Does that sound really bad?

ReputationRep:
    Someone in my school got into Oxford (for Theology and Philosophy) with Film Studies, Music and Drama (and he got ABB). I would hardly say that was a mix (but good for him anyway), but it shows the potential weighting on the interview.
    You might aswell apply for Cambridge - if they really like you your A level choices wont really matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pixiepeep)
    Thanks for all your comments.

I think, in a selfish way, I'd rather go to a University that wouldn't normally ask for all A's... (i think I have a superiority complex ) and would get excited about the prospect of having me... is that awful of me? The college I'm at basically begged me to go there, which was nice, but also gave me a boost academically, as I realised I wasn't the norm...

I know I'm a selfish cow, but I'd like to be appreciated at a uni, rather than just make the grade and be under average.

Does that sound really bad?
    nah, well you got virtually perfect grades, so academically you are sorted for cambridge, next question is do you really want to go there with its reputed work ethic... if you do, thats cool, the next task would then be to prepare really well for interview because you're gonna have loads of competition and GCSE/ASlevel grades dont count for anything during interview

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pixiepeep)
    I don't think that's an unusual attitude, but it could be an uncomfortable one. A lot of people would rather be the big fish in the small pond than the little fish in the big pond...but the real world is a very big pond, and no matter how good you are at anything, you will always find someone who will give you a run for your money. Spending more years enjoying the feeling that you're somehow "better" than everyone else around you is not helpful. It can make you big-headed, gain you resentment from people around you, and you really won't handle seeing other people beat you at things.

ReputationRep:
    If Cambridge has a course you like, apply there! Donh't do it just for the prestige.

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.