MSc Neuroimaging as Stepping Stone to Funded PhD

Watch
Ambrosio
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm graduating next year with a (predicted) first degree in Psychology from the University of Glasgow. My ultimate goal is to do a PhD in Cognitive neuroscience, and am currently considering doing a master degree in neuroimaging to increase my chances of finding funding.

I've looked at master degrees in neuroimaging at University of Manchester and Cardiff and am leaning more towards the latter since it introduces you to a wider range of equipment and also allows you to specialize.

Since a master degree is a significant investment my main concern is whether or not doing neuroimaging for a year would put me in a good position for a funded PhD as the University itself claims. I'm wondering if anyone has done a Neuroimaging master (Cardiff or elsewhere), what they thought about it, and what they did after completing it? Any kind of input would be very welcome!
igcsecrazy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Ambrosio)
I'm graduating next year with a (predicted) first degree in Psychology from the University of Glasgow. My ultimate goal is to do a PhD in Cognitive neuroscience, and am currently considering doing a master degree in neuroimaging to increase my chances of finding funding.

I've looked at master degrees in neuroimaging at University of Manchester and Cardiff and am leaning more towards the latter since it introduces you to a wider range of equipment and also allows you to specialize.

Since a master degree is a significant investment my main concern is whether or not doing neuroimaging for a year would put me in a good position for a funded PhD as the University itself claims. I'm wondering if anyone has done a Neuroimaging master (Cardiff or elsewhere), what they thought about it, and what they did after completing it? Any kind of input would be very welcome!
Hi! I'm on the same boat as you actually so I thought I'd reply to this incase anyone had any thoughts or advice. I'm an international student so funding for a PhD is very competitive and also there are only a few fully funded scholarships out there :/ I know a lot of UK students who go straight onto a PhD course as there are studentships available but seeing as that doesn't apply to me I thought investing in a one year masters would give me a better chance once applying to a scholarship, or a studentship (but for me this would mean I get the UK tuition fees deducted, and would still have to pay the remaining).

So I'd say yes you'd have a better chance, based on the fact that you'd have at least a years more research experience than those who apply without a masters. But it's common for people to go straight to a funded PhD from doing their undergraduate, for UK people at least.
Razorramone
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ask them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
27.51%
No (253)
72.49%

Watched Threads