The Student Room Group

Leviathan's Guide to Peeing in the Field (As a Female)

Hello all!

This might seem like an odd thread to make, but it's something that I thought might be useful :tongue:

When you’re studying a subject like Geology or Geography, inevitably there will be times on field trips when you need to go, but there are no toilets in sight.

Peeing in the field as a female can be a daunting prospect, but it has to be done - avoiding going to the loo and dehydrating yourself is not only uncomfortable, but can also lead to complications such as kidney infections. Hopefully, this guide will be able to help any of you who might feel too embarrassed or uncomfortable to go to the loo outside, to see that it really isn’t that bad of an experience after all :yep:

Let your lecturer/field leader know where you’re going this is important! Though it can be tempting to just sneak off and go when no one’s looking, this comes with several potential problems, such as your field group moving on and you getting left behind or lost. For safety reasons, it’s important to tell whoever is in charge that you need the loo, so that they know where you’ve gone and will wait for you to return. They may even point out the best place to go!

Find a suitable spot. This can sometimes be tricky, depending on your location. On hills or moorland, a large rock or dense bush provides good cover, so try to find one (or several!) if you can. On the coast, for example, large rocks or sand dunes will likely be your best bet. Remember to watch out for potential hazards such as steep drops or bogs.

Choose your method. As a female, you essentially have 2 options: 1) stand and use a device such as a Shewee, or 2) squat. From experience, I can say that (at least for me), squatting is much quicker and easier.

If you decide to squat: I would advise first checking the ground for nettles etc, then getting into a kneeling position and (without wanting to be too cringey!) undoing your field trousers, or whatever it is you’re wearing. Then, push yourself up into a squatting position, using your hands to stay balanced and avoid falling backwards. When you’re done, kneel down again, cover up and make your way back to your group.

Once you’ve done it a few times, it gets much more straightforward and you’ll be able to go just about anywhere! Knowing that you can go (at least relatively) comfortably while out in the field can take a lot of stress out of field trips, as you don’t need to worry so much about when you’ll next be able to nip to the loo.

Happy field tripping! :biggrin:
Thanks, that's useful to know if ever necessary ~ and nice title btw :biggrin:
Original post by Batgirl98
Thanks, that's useful to know if ever necessary ~ and nice title btw :biggrin:

Haha thank you :tongue:
Reply 3
Original post by Leviathan1741
Hello all!

This might seem like an odd thread to make, but it's something that I thought might be useful :tongue:

When you’re studying a subject like Geology or Geography, inevitably there will be times on field trips when you need to go, but there are no toilets in sight.

Peeing in the field as a female can be a daunting prospect, but it has to be done - avoiding going to the loo and dehydrating yourself is not only uncomfortable, but can also lead to complications such as kidney infections. Hopefully, this guide will be able to help any of you who might feel too embarrassed or uncomfortable to go to the loo outside, to see that it really isn’t that bad of an experience after all :yep:

Let your lecturer/field leader know where you’re going this is important! Though it can be tempting to just sneak off and go when no one’s looking, this comes with several potential problems, such as your field group moving on and you getting left behind or lost. For safety reasons, it’s important to tell whoever is in charge that you need the loo, so that they know where you’ve gone and will wait for you to return. They may even point out the best place to go!

Find a suitable spot. This can sometimes be tricky, depending on your location. On hills or moorland, a large rock or dense bush provides good cover, so try to find one (or several!) if you can. On the coast, for example, large rocks or sand dunes will likely be your best bet. Remember to watch out for potential hazards such as steep drops or bogs.

Choose your method. As a female, you essentially have 2 options: 1) stand and use a device such as a Shewee, or 2) squat. From experience, I can say that (at least for me), squatting is much quicker and easier.

If you decide to squat: I would advise first checking the ground for nettles etc, then getting into a kneeling position and (without wanting to be too cringey!) undoing your field trousers, or whatever it is you’re wearing. Then, push yourself up into a squatting position, using your hands to stay balanced and avoid falling backwards. When you’re done, kneel down again, cover up and make your way back to your group.

Once you’ve done it a few times, it gets much more straightforward and you’ll be able to go just about anywhere! Knowing that you can go (at least relatively) comfortably while out in the field can take a lot of stress out of field trips, as you don’t need to worry so much about when you’ll next be able to nip to the loo.

I know this is an old thread, I just stumbled upon it though! Really useful, I didn't know peeing in the field was acceptable :rofl: I feel a lot better now! :tongue:
Original post by Amefish
I know this is an old thread, I just stumbled upon it though! Really useful, I didn't know peeing in the field was acceptable :rofl: I feel a lot better now! :tongue:

Haha, I'm glad you think so! When you're on fieldtrips needing to pee at some point will be inevitable (and there won't always be a toilet nearby), so yes, it's definitely acceptable :tongue:
Reply 5
Original post by Amefish
I feel a lot better now! :tongue:

I bet that's an, er, relief...
Reply 6
Original post by Leviathan1741

And think twice about washing your hands if your field trip is in Sri Lanka...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/14/british-man-killed-crocodile-washing-hands-sri-lankan-lagoon/
Now I have an image of a fat girl squatting over a hole in the ground and filling it up with frothy warm piss.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending