TKLovesScience
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I looked around for the Edexcel Decision 2 grade boundaries for previous years and it says that D2 is a full A-Level module? Is this true? I'm doing Further Maths AS this year, and D2 is an exam I have to take.

Do you guys know what the grade boundaries are like for D2 at AS? Also, any tips on time management for this particular exam?
HopeFull97
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TKLovesScience)
I looked around for the Edexcel Decision 2 grade boundaries for previous years and it says that D2 is a full A-Level module? Is this true? I'm doing Further Maths AS this year, and D2 is an exam I have to take.

Do you guys know what the grade boundaries are like for D2 at AS? Also, any tips on time management for this particular exam?
Hi! I took D2 as a whole module in A2 because I completely messed up M1 at AS, so yes, it does count as a whole module!

Are you currently studying D1? I just ask because D2 is a lot more difficult than D1 to get your head around - once it clicks though you're good to go! I really enjoyed it once I got the hang of it. The grade boundaries aren't too bad as far as I can remember - each question is usually worth quite a lot of marks and you'll pick up marks for getting steps right even if your numbers are wrong so like I say, once you know the method it is a lot easier to pick up a lot of, if not all the marks on the questions

As far as time management goes - I looked through the whole paper first and wrote myself notes so I knew roughly what I needed to do on each question, and then I did the questions in order of amount of marks, with the ones with the most mark available first I hope this helps! Don't hesitate to ask for more advice if needed
univ4464
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The AS / A level boundaries are the same - I sat M2 last year instead of D2 but basically everyone who does Further AS will sit either S2 M2 or D2 which are technically A2 modules since they're not C2 and have a 2 in the module name
univ4464
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As for exam tips, do the dynamic programming question first because this is worth a lot of marks and one mistake can cost you 5/6 accuracy marks. Get a good understanding of what the things in the simplex table are and why you do each step because they ask questions about that frequently - like write the profit equation, or explain why this solution is not optimal with out just saying there is a negative in the profit row. D1 and D2 are probably the most predictable exams, so just try not to make any mistakes
niamhdoesmaths
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

D2 is an A2 module - all A Level FM students will (normally) sit 2 AS units and 4 A2 units.

For Edexcel, grade boundaries for 80 UMS and up are here:
Name:  d2 ums correlation.png
Views: 190
Size:  3.2 KB

But if you want to know lower you'll have to find them yourself on their website.

As for time management - just try and get the longer questions done first I suppose, so you can get the shorter ones done quickly at the end if you're pushed. Dynamic Programming is usually at the very end of the paper and worth quite a lot of marks so don't leave yourself less than 5 minutes at the end or something to do it!

Tbh all questions in D2 are worth a considerable number of marks, so making sure you're quick and accurate from the start will be helpful
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Actually you don't allocate applied modules to Maths/F Maths - the exam board does. It is likely D2 will end up in F Maths but D1 and D2 could both be in Maths.
HopeFull97
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
Actually you don't allocate applied modules to Maths/F Maths - the exam board does. It is likely D2 will end up in F Maths but D1 and D2 could both be in Maths.
That's what happened to me, I took D1 and M1 for Maths but botched up M1 so replaced it with D2 in my A2 year so ended up with both D1 and D2 in Maths
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by megantogwell)
That's what happened to me, I took D1 and M1 for Maths but botched up M1 so replaced it with D2 in my A2 year so ended up with both D1 and D2 in Maths
Yes, the exam board always tries to give you the best grade for A level maths.
TKLovesScience
Rep:
?
(Original post by NiamhM1801)
D2 is an A2 module - all A Level FM students will (normally) sit 2 AS units and 4 A2 units.

For Edexcel, grade boundaries for 80 UMS and up are here:
Name:  d2 ums correlation.png
Views: 190
Size:  3.2 KB

But if you want to know lower you'll have to find them yourself on their website.

As for time management - just try and get the longer questions done first I suppose, so you can get the shorter ones done quickly at the end if you're pushed. Dynamic Programming is usually at the very end of the paper and worth quite a lot of marks so don't leave yourself less than 5 minutes at the end or something to do it!

Tbh all questions in D2 are worth a considerable number of marks, so making sure you're quick and accurate from the start will be helpful
Thanks Niamh, I looked the UMS to grades up and 80% is an A. If I get an A this year, but not enough UMS for an A*, would A* be possible still? My teacher told me that if I get As in the exams for AS, then I don't have to worry about whether they're an "A*" kind of A or just an "A" kind of A, if that makes sense xD
niamhdoesmaths
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks Niamh, I looked the UMS to grades up and 80% is an A. If I get an A this year, but not enough UMS for an A*, would A* be possible still? My teacher told me that if I get As in the exams for AS, then I don't have to worry about whether they're an "A*" kind of A or just an "A" kind of A, if that makes sense xD
Possibly. The way an A* is calculated in Further Maths is a bit different.

You need 80% UMS (at least) across all 6 units. So you need at least 480 UMS overall. This gets you your A.

Then to get an A* you need 90% average across your best 3 A2 units. This means that 270 of those 480 UMS must come from 3 of your 4 A2 modules (e.g. D2, FP2, FP3).
dididid
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by alfredholmes)
The AS / A level boundaries are the same - I sat M2 last year instead of D2 but basically everyone who does Further AS will sit either S2 M2 or D2 which are technically A2 modules since they're not C2 and have a 2 in the module name
thats wrong, I sat As further maths and did S1 and D1 for my F.maths As and M1 for core.
univ4464
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by dididid)
thats wrong, I sat As further maths and did S1 and D1 for my F.maths As and M1 for core.
Fair enough, I suppose if you do a second applied module (M2S2D2) in normal maths then you will do two 1st applied modules in AS further maths. From my experience typically maths will have two of M1S1D1 because these are generally easier than the second ones.
dididid
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by alfredholmes)
Fair enough, I suppose if you do a second applied module (M2S2D2) in normal maths then you will do two 1st applied modules in AS further maths. From my experience typically maths will have two of M1S1D1 because these are generally easier than the second ones.
I'm doing/done C1-4, FP1-2, M1-3,S1-2 and D1. so wrong again lol. normal maths can have any 2 applied modules and so can further maths. the only modules you have no choice over are C1-4 and FP1-2 the rest you can choice as you like.
also id say M2 is easier than S1 and definitely more interesting lol .
univ4464
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by dididid)
I'm doing/done C1-4, FP1-2, M1-3,S1-2 and D1. so wrong again lol. normal maths can have any 2 applied modules and so can further maths. the only modules you have no choice over are C1-4 and FP1-2 the rest you can choice as you like.
also id say M2 is easier than S1 and definitely more interesting lol .
Well you can't have M3 in normal maths and you can only have M2 if you have M1 in maths etc. I mean for teaching normal maths, if you are in a class with some people who don't do further maths then typically M1S1 / M1D1 / S1D1 will be in taught in maths, with the allocation depending on individual results as was stated earlier in the thread - but all schools are different. also with S1 M2, M2 is more interesting than S1 but typically grades are better in S1 than M2.
TKLovesScience
Rep:
?
(Original post by NiamhM1801)
Possibly. The way an A* is calculated in Further Maths is a bit different.

You need 80% UMS (at least) across all 6 units. So you need at least 480 UMS overall. This gets you your A.

Then to get an A* you need 90% average across your best 3 A2 units. This means that 270 of those 480 UMS must come from 3 of your 4 A2 modules (e.g. D2, FP2, FP3).
Ohhh right, I see. Thanks! I assume M2 and M3 count as A2 modules?
niamhdoesmaths
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ohhh right, I see. Thanks! I assume M2 and M3 count as A2 modules?
Yep - I'm fairly sure anything that doesn't have a "1" after it is an A2 module (apart from C2 in maths)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (0)
0%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (3)
20%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (2)
13.33%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (2)
13.33%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (6)
40%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (2)
13.33%

Watched Threads