The Student Room Group

Is alcohol overrated?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by bleu-mason
Oh but look at how the effects of alcohol consumption and ow that is paired with abuse.
Look at the yob culture,look at how alcohol adds more stain to the nhs, when younger patients are leaving the hospital with damaged livers.
look at the correlation between alcohol consumption and violence

I think you'll find, drinking alcohol is a lot different to how you are picturing it. A very small amount of drinkers will aim to drink enough alcohol they cause harm or "stain" to the NHS. The alcohol market is enormous, absolutely colossal. Now, just because you may not enjoy drinking for leisure as I assure you the majority of alcohol consumers do, in order to feel free or a brief escape from reality etc. does not mean that the whole market for it should be stopped? As far as I can see you have no valid argument as of yet.
Reply 21
Original post by bleu-mason
I find it strange in how drinking alcohol is celebrated in this country as it provides no benefit to our society
We get nothing from drinking beer or wine, bu why do people drink and alcohol is not cheap

I completely agree. Although alcohol isn't completely worthless as some users have already pointed out that doesn't mean it is not overrated.

I think as you allude to, the costs to society in terms of health, abuse, crime, educational attainment etc can not be ignored and whatever minor benefits alcohol brings, this argument is enough to suggest it is overrated.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by 999tigger
Other than jobs, exports, taxes and the fact people enjoy drinking it.

I would guess that economically, the damage alcohol does to people's health and productivity outweighs what we get from jobs, exports, and taxes. It's even harder to quantify how it affects people's general happiness, but my hunch is that it's a net detriment there too.
Reply 23
Is alcohol overrated? No. Is getting drunk overrated? Sure.

There's known benefits to people have a few drinks, people can loosen up and have a good time, easier to meet new people, a few beers with some friends goes down well, having wine with dinner is great depending on what you have…

Getting drunk though… you act irresponsibly, you make a fool of yourself, you make a mess, others can get caught up, your actions can have severe consequences, bad for your health, you wake up with a hangover… etc.

I see nothing overrated in having a few pints with some friends, having some wine with my pasta
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
I would guess that economically, the damage alcohol does to people's health and productivity outweighs what we get from jobs, exports, and taxes. It's even harder to quantify how it affects people's general happiness, but my hunch is that it's a net detriment there too.

What damage does alcohol do to productivity? Most people don't drink on the job lol.
And no, the cost to the NHS doesn't outweigh the taxes.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3219815/Drinkers-NOT-burden-state-Booze-duty-raises-6-5-BILLION-cost-alcohol-abuse.html

Cost of treating alcohol related illness & alcohol related crime: £3.9 billion
Revenue from alcohol tax: £10.4 billion

As for it being overrated? I would say that if you're not drinking enough to feel anything then yeah it's expensive, might as well just have a glass of coke or juice or something. But being drunk is awesome. And it's extremely cheap too if you are drinking at home.
I don't think so. Alcohol is my favourite drug by a long way. It helps you to unwind and is a brilliant social lubricant. There are many upsides which is why people drink it. Its just a preference thing.
Oxygen is overrated
Original post by feministy
Oxygen is overrated

This is so true! It has such an awful effect on society, I don't know why it hasn't been banned yet. Disgusting!
No, alcohol is beautiful.
Reply 29
Original post by dontgotobath
Lightweight.

Perfect :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rating and overrating is a subjective thing, pretty much by definition. Any attempts to place intrinsic value on these things are arbitrary. So who the :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: even cares?
Plus for straight edge.
I concur with over all idea that alcohol is overrated. Popularity behind it is a sad joke. Claiming sophistication in how it tastes and made, changing wood type to temperature is just another way to get the same result - alcoholics don't really care about it. Majority of people trying to get the kicks don't care about it.
Reply 31
Yes. After the first few drinks it goes downhill quickly. Then there's the hangovers, weight gain, irresponsibility, messy appetite, reduced sleep quality, bad skin etc etc

I've been teetotal for nearly 2 months, I sometimes miss the euphoric hit that alcohol can induce, but at the same time appreciate the steady sensible state from not drinking. It's intoxicating in its own way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Helps you to relax
It's a social lubricant which can temporarily inspire boldness and decrease inhibitions. It can also helo people "loosen up". For those reasons, it does indeed have value.

Like any other consumable product, people are willing to pay more money for a taste that suits them. It's simple really .

Quick Reply

Latest