The Student Room Group

I'm so unpopular and it's my fault.

How do I stop being so unpopular? This is my first year in Sixth Form and I didn't really make 'real' friends that's I'd talk to outside of school until about 2 months ago. However, today at school somebody from group told me that when they first met me they thought I was a nice caring person but now they know me I'm a sarcastic bit**. This has really upset to be honest and I don't want to upset others that much that they really think that I'm like that. I REALLY need help to change my personality so I'm not as cruel. I have no clue of specific things that I've done, but in general whenever I find friendship groups I tend to ruin them by trying to be popular or maybe saying things about other people outside the group because those are the only things that spring to my mind to fill awkward gaps. I feel so awful about this and I just want advise to change myself so that people like me and I can help them too. This may sound like I'm whining and I understand that TSR is not a counselling forum so sorry.

And advise would be appreciated or perhaps anybody who found themselves in a similar problem?

Good luck to anybody revising for exams this term!!!
I thought popularity ends in high school..
Original post by emerald7770

same lol
be yourself. You seem to be doing things and "change your personality" but trust me! trying to be someone your not is absolutely exhausting. Be yourself and dont let anyone tell you different. Be confident in yourself. If people dont like you then they suck. As long as your being yourself, you will meet friends that like you for you. If people hate your sarcasm they :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: em. Be happy for who you are trust me it feels great. Listen to the song "beyond the sea" trust me it makes you not give a :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: and feel happy.

Original post by Anonymous
How do I stop being so unpopular? This is my first year in Sixth Form and I didn't really make 'real' friends that's I'd talk to outside of school until about 2 months ago. However, today at school somebody from group told me that when they first met me they thought I was a nice caring person but now they know me I'm a sarcastic bit**. This has really upset to be honest and I don't want to upset others that much that they really think that I'm like that. I REALLY need help to change my personality so I'm not as cruel. I have no clue of specific things that I've done, but in general whenever I find friendship groups I tend to ruin them by trying to be popular or maybe saying things about other people outside the group because those are the only things that spring to my mind to fill awkward gaps. I feel so awful about this and I just want advise to change myself so that people like me and I can help them too. This may sound like I'm whining and I understand that TSR is not a counselling forum so sorry.

And advise would be appreciated or perhaps anybody who found themselves in a similar problem?

Reply 4

I don't mean popularity as in being 'cool'. I mean popularity as in having a group friends with mutual interests and compassion for each other. I just want to be able to keep friends and I can't because I'm always awful to them.
Reply 5

I am the same in college in fact it depresses me

hopefully things will change for the both of us

keep your head held high as people will like you

if you want we can be friends :smile:
join clubs/societys that interest you its really not hard to make friends in uni/college compared to secondary school
I don't mean popularity as in being 'cool'. I mean popularity as in having a group friends with mutual interests and compassion for each other. I just want to be able to keep friends and I can't because I'm always awful to them.

stop being awful to them?

Original post by aprocrastinator_
same lol

high school never ends

Being sarcastic isnt the problem, its more the beech behaviour by talking about others behind their backs, two faced attention seeker.

Why not just stop dong it and err be nice/ sociable? Unfortunately youve made a reputation for yourself now and theres no reason to think people will rust you again. Tbh you might find this impossible. You can apologise, but it will be a slow process from them ever trusting you again.

You have a fresh start when you get to uni.
Original post by 999tigger
Being sarcastic isnt the problem, its more the beech behaviour by talking about others behind their backs, two faced attention seeker.

Why not just stop dong it and err be nice/ sociable? Unfortunately youve made a reputation for yourself now and theres no reason to think people will rust you again. Tbh you might find this impossible. You can apologise, but it will be a slow process from them ever trusting you again.

You have a fresh start when you get to uni.

Thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending