The Student Room Group

CONFUSEDDDD - Uni choices

Hello everyoneee

I'm currently doing my A2 levels, and studying Geography Business and Sociology.
My aspirational career is to become a pilot - but being bad at maths and physics, I know this may put me behind. I'm basically wanting to enter any form of career aviation wise.
Because I do want to become a pilot i've researched degrees such as 'Aviation Technology' at Leeds etc. These all require A level maths and physics which I haven't done, and also can't do. So I researched other degree's such as Coventrys 'Aviation Management' and Loughborough's 'Air Transport Management'.
I've applied to 5 uni's, and have firmed Loughborough, and insured coventry. Having had some thinking time, i've been researching the Loughborough course and i've realised i'm just not that engaged with it. Although I have a passion for aviation, and want to become a pilot, the course just doesn't attract me. It seems to be quite economic and business based, where as my ideal degree would be purely aviation. So the general idea of doing ATM for 3 years really just doesn't attract me anymore, it's very off putting. Although i'm not extremelyyyyyy passionate about geography compared to Aviation, I do have a big soft spot for Geography, and the subject in degree terms wows me much more than ATM.
I've been researching Geography degrees, as I have enjoyed Geography at GCSE level and also A levels. I'm not a massive fan of Business.. Geography is the subject i want to achieve the highest in.
I'm just wondering what to do. I don't want to do ATM at Loughborough for 3 years, when the idea just doesn't seem interesting. I feel i would much rather enjoy Geography. I would be interested and engaged, and will have a good time. But I'm also aware that uni isn't all about having fun. I do wonder if maybe Air Transport would be better, seeing as that's the field i want to go in. But then at the end of the day, becoming a pilot doesn't require a specific degree at all. From what i've researched, A levels and any form of degree is beneficial as it's a competitive field. So maybe I wouldn't be at a disadvantage if i do well in a geography degree. This way i will be enjoying the degree at the same time.. It's really stressing me out, because deep down I do want to do geography. But then i ask myself 'Why did you initially apply for Air transport then?'. But then also. If i'm so satisfied with doing Air transport, why am i now just wanting to do Geography..

I hope someone can help me out and give me some guidance as i'm really unsure! I do basically find Geography much more interesting, and a subject i would very much like to do at Degree level, i just don't want to do the wrong thing...

THANK YOU:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by benjj123
Hello everyoneee

I'm currently doing my A2 levels, and studying Geography Business and Sociology.
My aspirational career is to become a pilot - but being bad at maths and physics, I know this may put me behind. I'm basically wanting to enter any form of career aviation wise.
Because I do want to become a pilot i've researched degrees such as 'Aviation Technology' at Leeds etc. These all require A level maths and physics which I haven't done, and also can't do. So I researched other degree's such as Coventrys 'Aviation Management' and Loughborough's 'Air Transport Management'.
I've applied to 5 uni's, and have firmed Loughborough, and insured coventry. Having had some thinking time, i've been researching the Loughborough course and i've realised i'm just not that engaged with it. Although I have a passion for aviation, and want to become a pilot, the course just doesn't attract me. It seems to be quite economic and business based, where as my ideal degree would be purely aviation. So the general idea of doing ATM for 3 years really just doesn't attract me anymore, it's very off putting. Although i'm not extremelyyyyyy passionate about geography compared to Aviation, I do have a big soft spot for Geography, and the subject in degree terms wows me much more than ATM.
I've been researching Geography degrees, as I have enjoyed Geography at GCSE level and also A levels. I'm not a massive fan of Business.. Geography is the subject i want to achieve the highest in.
I'm just wondering what to do. I don't want to do ATM at Loughborough for 3 years, when the idea just doesn't seem interesting. I feel i would much rather enjoy Geography. I would be interested and engaged, and will have a good time. But I'm also aware that uni isn't all about having fun. I do wonder if maybe Air Transport would be better, seeing as that's the field i want to go in. But then at the end of the day, becoming a pilot doesn't require a specific degree at all. From what i've researched, A levels and any form of degree is beneficial as it's a competitive field. So maybe I wouldn't be at a disadvantage if i do well in a geography degree. This way i will be enjoying the degree at the same time.. It's really stressing me out, because deep down I do want to do geography. But then i ask myself 'Why did you initially apply for Air transport then?'. But then also. If i'm so satisfied with doing Air transport, why am i now just wanting to do Geography..

I hope someone can help me out and give me some guidance as i'm really unsure! I do basically find Geography much more interesting, and a subject i would very much like to do at Degree level, i just don't want to do the wrong thing...

THANK YOU:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really don't know much about training to be a pilot, but my understanding is that what degree you do is relatively unimportant. I also understand that securing a funded position is extremely competitive and you will otherwise need to secure a loan for an extremely large amount of money to obtain your license.

My point is, it would seem far more sensible to me to study an academic subject like geography than something parochial like air transportation. This will be preferable in the event that you are unable for whatever reason to pass the medical, secure funding etc. and have to do something else. Tangential positions such as working in an airport or for an airline might be easier to secure with one of these extremely focused degrees, but I'd doubt it would be significant at all.

As you declare a preference for geography, I think that makes the most sense. I would obviously urge you to make some calls and enquire as if you are a recent geography graduate as you will see how receptive some of the biggest schemes would be to your application.

Good luck.
Reply 2
Hi benjj123,

If you know you want to be a pilot -- why not go straight into flight school? If you're set on a degree before you start flying that's perfectly fine and provides a good backup plan if flying doesn't work out, but it's not a requirement to become a pilot, and the airlines don't care if you have a degree or not. It's easy to be pressured into applying for university because that's what most people do and, it seems, what schools will push you to do so, but if you don't want/need to, then don't be afraid to go your own way. I speak from experience -- I went straight from school to flight school having already sent UCAS applications and received offers, etc., and going straight into flying was the best decision I've made (it's been about two years since then and I'm flying A321s around and loving it). Airlines aren't interested in whether or not you have a degree -- your professional qualifications and qualities are what matter to them! Cost is a major thing to consider here as there aren't any scholarships for student pilots at the moment, but that depends on your own situation. If you're "bad at maths and physics" you can still attend a flight school assessment and see how it goes! Rest assured, the maths required isn't particularly difficult (I did the IB Diploma at school and the maths I need for flying is much more basic than that), and the physics is quite easy, plus they'll teach it all during your ground school (it's very specific to flying, so even if you study physics at school, you most likely won't have studied what you need for your licence). You don't need to be great at maths and physics to be a pilot, so as long as you're willing to put the effort in, I wouldn't worry too much.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions about flight school/the job, etc., glad to help

All the best!

Quick Reply