kasiakasia1536
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
predicted topics for AQA English literature?
The_Clikkie
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What do you mean ? as in topics for each question or books to study?
ariellabenaim
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by EnderGirlz224)
themes + characters for the books (AIC, Jekyll + Hyde, Macbeth) and predicted themes/ poems (power and conflict)
The_Clikkie
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
well here's some links to useful revision tools for Dr Jekyll ad Mr Hyde , An Inspector Calls as well as Poetry
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/r...les_and_themes
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/r...ype=flashcards
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/r...ekyll+and+Hyde

I don't know about Macbeth but hope these helps
kasiakasia1536
Rep:
?
Sorry, that wasn't particularly clear of me. I am currently studying Jane Eyre, An Inspector Calls and the Conflict section of Poetry as well as Macbeth. For Macbeth I feel like the question will be about something other than guilt. Perhaps Lady Macbeth' significance. For poetry I am almost entirely convinced it will be war related. Please help me out if you have any predictions based on past questions etc.
kasiakasia1536
Rep:
?
(Original post by ariellabenaim)
themes + characters for the books (AIC, Jekyll + Hyde, Macbeth) and predicted themes/ poems (power and conflict)
Yes exactly that. AIC, Jane Eyre, Macbeth and Conflict Poetry
kasiakasia1536
Rep:
?
well here's some links to useful revision tools for Dr Jekyll ad Mr Hyde , An Inspector Calls as well as Poetry
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/r...les_and_themes
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/r...ype=flashcards
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/r...ekyll+and+Hyde

I don't know about Macbeth but hope these helps
And yeah thank you!
darrencoxon
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Be careful! It's always dangerous to try and predict the questions that come up in the paper. You are far better off focusing on understanding each of the main characters in the texts you are studying, as well as setting (if this is important in the text), and themes. But remember: themes aren't just these abstract things that float around the text: they are rooted in character, particularly character in relationship to others.

Every book and play you study will be about one main thing: conflict. Characters in conflict with each other, with nature, with society, and even with themselves. Themes such as power, gender, betrayal, and fate all have conflict at their centre. You try to think of a character in anything you're studying that doesn't have this at their heart. An Inspector Calls - the inspector's presence brings the whole family into conflict with one another and with the truth, and it is out of this that the drama unfolds as each character has to confront the cause of this conflict. Macbeth - like many of Shakespeare's plays, here is a man in conflict with himself - his lust for power conflicting (at least at first) with his loyalty to King Duncan.

The thing I always taught my students was this: characters are not real people. They are vehicles through which writers explore themes. So when you revise, don't think of them like people, and instead think about how their conflict enables the writer to explore big themes and ideas in a meaningful, concrete way. This might stop you from obsessing too much over looking into the future! Because if you could really do that you could win the lottery and the exams would fade into insignificance...
kasiakasia1536
Rep:
?
(Original post by darrencoxon)
Be careful! It's always dangerous to try and predict the questions that come up in the paper. You are far better off focusing on understanding each of the main characters in the texts you are studying, as well as setting (if this is important in the text), and themes. But remember: themes aren't just these abstract things that float around the text: they are rooted in character, particularly character in relationship to others.

Every book and play you study will be about one main thing: conflict. Characters in conflict with each other, with nature, with society, and even with themselves. Themes such as power, gender, betrayal, and fate all have conflict at their centre. You try to think of a character in anything you're studying that doesn't have this at their heart. An Inspector Calls - the inspector's presence brings the whole family into conflict with one another and with the truth, and it is out of this that the drama unfolds as each character has to confront the cause of this conflict. Macbeth - like many of Shakespeare's plays, here is a man in conflict with himself - his lust for power conflicting (at least at first) with his loyalty to King Duncan.

The thing I always taught my students was this: characters are not real people. They are vehicles through which writers explore themes. So when you revise, don't think of them like people, and instead think about how their conflict enables the writer to explore big themes and ideas in a meaningful, concrete way. This might stop you from obsessing too much over looking into the future! Because if you could really do that you could win the lottery and the exams would fade into insignificance...
Thank you , I am not basing my revision on predictions or pure luck and was therefore just using predictions as reassurance but I understand your points. I will definitely mention conflict in my answers.
student1606
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by kasiakasia1536)
Sorry, that wasn't particularly clear of me. I am currently studying Jane Eyre, An Inspector Calls and the Conflict section of Poetry as well as Macbeth. For Macbeth I feel like the question will be about something other than guilt. Perhaps Lady Macbeth' significance. For poetry I am almost entirely convinced it will be war related. Please help me out if you have any predictions based on past questions etc.
based on the specimen papers i think that ambition or appearance and reality in Macbeth could come up. I think the poetry will be based on war like you said, if they give us The Prelude or My Last Duchess i think i might cry!
kasiakasia1536
Rep:
?
(Original post by student1606)
based on the specimen papers i think that ambition or appearance and reality in Macbeth could come up. I think the poetry will be based on war like you said, if they give us The Prelude or My Last Duchess i think i might cry!
HAHA ME TOO!! Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?