Should I start revising for my GCSEs in year 9? Watch

Emil.ia
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello, I am a student in year 9 and have recently chosen my options for GCSEs. Since the GCSE exams are said to be more challenging than before, I am a bit worried about them and ( as practically everyone) want to do well. Is there a point in me starting to revise the GCSE work and practicing with the past papers?
Koreaboo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I guess, i did my core science exam in year 8 so I should have revised but didn't got a c in the end tho.
username3110466
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No you will forget most of it and burn yourself out.
haseebj49
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Emil.ia)
Hello, I am a student in year 9 and have recently chosen my options for GCSEs. Since the GCSE exams are said to be more challenging than before, I am a bit worried about them and ( as practically everyone) want to do well. Is there a point in me starting to revise the GCSE work and practicing with the past papers?
Wow. Some people have their GCSEs in 2 weeks and still haven't prepared. But I would recommend just going over notes, and summarising them, at the end of the day after school. It just helps with when you are revising.
Estarrre
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You should probably start revising for a-levels while you're at it
Rend_a
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Enjoy year 9 whilst you're in it because once you're in year 10 you will miss being in year 9, don't worry about it too much now, once you start year 10 everything that you learn on that day go over it afterwards so that you don't forget it. Trust me when I say I made the mistake of not doing this and having to stress near exam season.
Naomeyz_01
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Bruh you need to chill you still got a long way to go I would recommend you start revising for your GCSEs at least when you start year 10

Posted from TSR Mobile
haseebj49
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Estarrre)
:laugh:
Estarrre
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I wouldn't say past papers just yet. Just make sure you complete your homework and go over any topics learnt/ notes taken at the end of each day ensuring you understand them. You can find test papers online targeted at year 9 students so maybe do one paper for your subjects each month. Don't kill yourself with work just yet... you'll need that energy for year 12/13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No, the time for this will come next year. For now just enjoy life before GCSEs!
yowhyy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
no youll burn yourself out and get bored so quickly, just make sure you understand everything in class NOW rather than getting confused a month before the exam by reviewing notes, revising for mini tests, asking your teacher etc
jemmaclarke37
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
same age as you here, what i'm doing is writing up all my lessons in notes to keep in a binder and reading ahead in the textbook, and revising small amounts in relevant subjects occasionally. Like others have said, don't start fully revising now as you will burn out and not really benefit, but make sure you're fully on track with homework and "prepare" for revision later on, as getting in the habit now will really benefit you!
mollspolls
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
yes definitely I am taking my GCSE's now and I regret not starting in year 9 as once you hit year 10 it's all go and you have no time.
HopelessMedic
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Absolutely not. Make the most of the time you have to do hobbies/extra curricular and just generally have fun. Still work hard in school though
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
Isnt year 9 before you have started? I thought you start in year 10?

What you can do is make good notes. If you have things like set texts then you can read those. More familiarisation rather than revision. Careful not to burn out.
PrincessF
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
i would suggest that u look over notes from lessons and and look over at some topics but don't stress yourself out...you still have time
Chessypuffs1738
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No year 9 is a doss year.
Have fun, enjoy it, listen but don't stress.
Start casual revision in year 10 and proper revision in year 11.
SomMC1
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey, congratulations on reaching igcse next year.
Firstly some more revision can never hurt. I am currently doing igcse exams this year in may/june. I got 5A*, a couple As and a couple Bs on my mocks. Currently aiming for 10A*s. I have to work every night during this month to finish off topics, get some little things together and past papers. It is a huge huge huge rush and panic mode right now.
If you dont want to experience this rush, then do some private revision yourself, even if you are a couple months younger. It can never hurt.
You will be sitting the igcse in 2 years, in 2019. So look at syllabuses and check if they are updated till 2019. If yes, download them and look at the first topics, go to youtube and other sites and just look at the videos and write some revision notes/flash cards. Im doing igcse so gcse is a bit different with the syllabuses.

Yes you will forgot the things. But since you made revision notes on them by yourself with the guidance of videos/other notes, you will remember them much better. Each time you look at the notes the more you remember. It works.
Also write the notes by hand. Not on a computer. Dont include page long explanation for 1 simple thing. Condense it down to just the main talking points and then when you revise you just look at the talking points and you are able to start explaining/describing the topic.

Start now, you will be thankful
SomMC1
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Niamh3213)
No year 9 is a doss year.
Have fun, enjoy it, listen but don't stress.
Start casual revision in year 10 and proper revision in year 11.
Year 11 is not enough if you want A*s
If you want Cs, then yes.
SomMC1
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Estarrre)
OMFG you made me laugh so much +1
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (136)
17.82%
It's just nice to be back! (204)
26.74%
Not great so far... (274)
35.91%
I want to drop out! (149)
19.53%

Watched Threads