Should I start revising for my GCSEs in year 9?

Watch
username3118072
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Emil.ia)
Hello, I am a student in year 9 and have recently chosen my options for GCSEs. Since the GCSE exams are said to be more challenging than before, I am a bit worried about them and ( as practically everyone) want to do well. Is there a point in me starting to revise the GCSE work and practicing with the past papers?
I'd say no because it isn't necessary, but if you want to, start on the subjects you think you will find hardest because you will create more time for them which helps you to boost your understanding of the subject.

Other than that, starting from year 10 is probably more than enough time to get good GCSEs by the exams, so don't particularly worry at this stage. Just relax for now, I guess.
jackrawlin
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hello, I am a student in year 9 and have recently chosen my options for GCSEs. Since the GCSE exams are said to be more challenging than before, I am a bit worried about them and ( as practically everyone) want to do well. Is there a point in me starting to revise the GCSE work and practicing with the past papers?
You haven't been taught any content yet obviously. admittedly some stuff is either commonsense or basic knowlege/from KS3 like some maths stuff
Zentox
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Estarrre)
You should probably start revising for a-levels while you're at it
lol even year 9 isnt enough time
Chessypuffs1738
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by SomMC1)
Year 11 is not enough if you want A*s
If you want Cs, then yes.
How 😂
I'm in year 11
And obviously I revised for like unit tests at school but I have my exams in like 11 days and in mocks I didn't get anything lower than a B!
username2994950
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Bruh are you serious LOOL. Year 9 is the last year you will have to be care-free. Why are you on the student room? Go hang out with your friends! Even year 10 was one of the best years of my life
SomMC1
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by galingo)
Bruh are you serious LOOL. Year 9 is the last year you will have to be care-free. Why are you on the student room? Go hang out with your friends! Even year 10 was one of the best years of my life
I used to party nearly every weekend with my mates in year 10. Now I regret it. The hours I spent away drinking, etc. were hours wasted and not used to rest or study. Yes social life is important but summer holidays and other holidays are for that.
Although it is true that the kid is just in year 9
Joseph72602
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
lol no i revised for gcses 1 month before and got 5 A's and rest B's and 1 C. Just play around until year 11. You've got 2 years of fun. Luckkkyyy!!!
username2994950
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I used to party nearly every weekend with my mates in year 10. Now I regret it. The hours I spent away drinking, etc. were hours wasted and not used to rest or study. Yes social life is important but summer holidays and other holidays are for that.
Although it is true that the kid is just in year 9
Theres no reason why you should regret it. Im in AS, and people have revised from the end of April and got all A's. I revised 2 weeks before gcses and got all a's and b's. GCSEs dont even matter that much. If anything, im proud I had fun in year 10. It didnt matter at all
bradleyveni
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
A lot of what you'll learn will build on top of what you have already learnt. Dont worry too much, but I'd say revise an hour a week per subject, just to keep it fresh in your mind. I didn't revise until 6 weeks before my exams and I regret it, you're best off to keep it small but steady for now Best of luck!
SomMC1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Theres no reason why you should regret it. Im in AS, and people have revised from the end of April and got all A's. I revised 2 weeks before gcses and got all a's and b's. GCSEs dont even matter that much. If anything, im proud I had fun in year 10. It didnt matter at all
That is true. I guess it comes down to effectiveness and ability to work well under a time limit (i.e from end of april)
Boss_Rhythm
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I suggest you listen to others, but also defo do biology revision as the spec for bio and chem have been slightly extended
^ only if you are doing triple science
username2994950
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
That is true. I guess it comes down to effectiveness and ability to work well under a time limit (i.e from end of april)
Its all about quality mate, not quantity. Year 10 has no effect on gcses. You can waste everyday from year 7 to year 10 but if you are serious at year 11 (even the start of april is enough for all a*s, 1 week before is enough for A's) you can still do well. If i look back i dont regret anything in year 10. I didnt get all a*s but i still mostly a's bearing in mind i did 2 weeks revision. When you're in year 12 ur gonna look back and miss the times of 10 and 11..make the most of it
bethanyjx
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
lol i literally revised the night before my exams, and in some cases I didn't revise at all and still managed to do okay. don't stress it
boi_
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What the :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:... I have English language tomorrow​ and I've done exactly 1 past paper for revision... And I'm predicted all a*s y'all needa chill
_R2470_
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by mollspolls)
yes definitely I am taking my GCSE's now and I regret not starting in year 9 as once you hit year 10 it's all go and you have no time.

This is quite true.
But I'd say nail all the subjects firmly now. So in years 10 & 11 you can excel. Do more extra curricular stuff like attending stem clubs or debating clubs. Stuff you can show that you've done and had experience in.
I wouldnt do the hardcore proper revision yet. Just make sure you pay attention in class and take notes.
Remember if you have all the knowledge from class sealed then revision will be a ton easier.
_R2470_
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Not true in all schools. Some schools start their gcses in year 9 and do the options in year 8. 7 & 8 would be the actual carefree years
asianprincess123
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
i started revising in year 11
The RAR
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's way too early to be revising for GCSEs
username3460126
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I just finished year 9 and im going to year 10 in September and was a bit like you- i was debating whether to start GCSE revision now. I did a bit of revision in maths,chem,physics and biology and made sure that for maths and physics i knew my formulas by downloading a year 10 mocks revision sheet of my school website which had all the topics i needed to know for my mocks. Instead of preparing for gcse's, prepare for year 10 and mock exams because year 9 is your last year to actually have minimal stress! hope this helped xxx
HANNAH_21
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi next year i will be going into year 9 so i know what you are thinking but i don't see the need for extra work. Just go over what you did in class and do your homework. Also it is a good idea to revise for exams so you get a little more used to revising and studying. Year 9 should be more chilled out because it is the work in year 10 and 11 that counts more.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (102)
5.18%
Uncertainty around my education (295)
14.98%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (208)
10.56%
Lack of purpose or motivation (276)
14.02%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (86)
4.37%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (112)
5.69%
Loneliness (172)
8.74%
Financial worries (70)
3.56%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (86)
4.37%
Exposure to negative news/social media (92)
4.67%
Lack of real life entertainment (108)
5.49%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (175)
8.89%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (187)
9.5%

Watched Threads