The Student Room Group

Reflective Essays

Do you have to write reflective assignments on your course at your uni? I do and I can't help but find them a bit of a waste of time! I've come to study a subject, not write about my experience at an employability conference or what I plan to do in the future after graduation. I'm paying £9000 a year I want to learn, not reflect. I had 1 in first year, 2/3 in second year. I don't think third year has any. My uni tries to pass off these kind of assignments as a skill we need to learn. They just seem like filler to me.

I know people at Nottingham, Lincoln and Exeter who have these types of a assignments.
Do all unis do them or is it more course specific?
I have them but they're kinda relevant to my course
Original post by Jackieox
I have them but they're kinda relevant to my course

See I do Geography so they really aren't to mine.
Original post by Strawberry68
See I do Geography so they really aren't to mine.

Ah I do creative writing so mine are all about how we've progressed as writers and found our style and stuff like that
...Reflective essays are pretty much the only written assignments I have to submit for my course so far, the rest is all on observations by tutors and showing evidence that we did work.
I think it's a good skill in general to be able to reflect on your learning and make goals to move forward based on those reflections, but it's probably more relevant for some courses than for others... depends how long the essays have to be/if they take up a lot of your time, but if it's only short/doesn't impact on your other assignments much then it's probably a good exercise to do every now and then.
I had to do it for Ancient History and it was awful.

I also had to do a reflective journal for English Lit/Philosophy. The one thing I gained from it is that how to be critical of your weakness and how to improve your awareness, analysis and your strengths as well as weaknesses.

But yeah, the AH one was ridiculously pointless.

But if it's part of your course - you gotta do it!
Reply 6
Reflection is a leadership skill that you need irrespective of your course. Sometimes leadership would want you to reflect on some transformational experiences, your visions for an organization/business, your aspirations etc. That way you will be able to lead in a better way. They are not an entire waste of time. I am an expert essay writer so if you feel like concentrating on learning "more relevant" subjects, I can help you with the reflections

Quick Reply

Latest