The Student Room Group

How much should you write for a poetry essay?

Now, I like to write a looot about a little. I can really enjoy writing many paragraphs on a single quote in poetry, and I thought this was credited greatly. Today I got a timed poetry essay where my feedback was to cut back my answers and write more about different parts of the poem.
My structure for that comparison question was 1 long paragraph for poem A, 1 medium for poem B with comparison to A within, and 1 medium with both compared within. I get that doesn't seem consistent but I guess I freaked out a little with timing.
What kind of structure do you guys follow for the best marks? I feel a little weird cutting out developments of my points but if it'll get me more marks...?
This is AS English Literature for Edexcel, and we're recommended to only spend 30 minutes on the poetry section (do you think that's right?) - thanks for any help!
The structure our teacher gave us for GCSE AQA:
-Point about both poems
-Evidence for poem 1
-Evidence for poem 2
-language analysis for poem 1
-language analysis for poem 2 (how it presents the same idea)
This is all in 1 paragraph, which is about half a page. Do this for 4-5 points

I don't know whether this helps for AS level, but I hope it might.
Reply 2
Original post by Link2016
Now, I like to write a looot about a little. I can really enjoy writing many paragraphs on a single quote in poetry, and I thought this was credited greatly. Today I got a timed poetry essay where my feedback was to cut back my answers and write more about different parts of the poem.
My structure for that comparison question was 1 long paragraph for poem A, 1 medium for poem B with comparison to A within, and 1 medium with both compared within. I get that doesn't seem consistent but I guess I freaked out a little with timing.
What kind of structure do you guys follow for the best marks? I feel a little weird cutting out developments of my points but if it'll get me more marks...?
This is AS English Literature for Edexcel, and we're recommended to only spend 30 minutes on the poetry section (do you think that's right?) - thanks for any help!

If you write several paragraphs for one quote, you are limiting yourself to extra marks. It is good if you were to write about all the techniques used in that quote but it will mean you won't be answering the question as consistently. If you have several points for one quote, just choose the one you can write about the most and then introduce poem B and comparison (w/ analysis etc).

I do AQA Eng Lit, so unfortunately, my advice may not help you as much. 25 markers, I spend about 45 minutes on them but most likely be different for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending