llamalover57
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello TSR!

I'm currently in year 12 and studying Maths, Physics and Chemistry in school. I'm likely to be predicted AAB with a B in physics and would like to apply to universities such as Manchester and Birmingham for Chemical Engineering.

Aside from these 3, I also have an A level in Chinese, which I will be taking the A2 exam for this summer and I am expecting to get an A or a B.

With AAB predictions, and an obtained A or B grade in Chinese, do you think it is a good idea to for me to apply for Manchester (AAA) or Birmingham (A*AA/AAAA) with a reasonable chance of getting an offer?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Advertisement
itsokamix
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I can't speak on behalf of your course but I applied to Leeds who require AAA with AAB predictions and I got an offer, so I'd definitely say it's possible!

My sixth form advised picking 1 uni with higher requirements (eg. AAA) 2 with your predictions (AAB) and 2 with lower (ABB or below) There's definitely no harm in trying :3
llamalover57
Rep:
?
(Original post by itsokamix)
I can't speak on behalf of your course but I applied to Leeds who require AAA with AAB predictions and I got an offer, so I'd definitely say it's possible!

My sixth form advised picking 1 uni with higher requirements (eg. AAA) 2 with your predictions (AAB) and 2 with lower (ABB or below) There's definitely no harm in trying :3
Congrats! I thought Leeds was A*AA?
itsokamix
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by llamalover57)
Congrats! I thought Leeds was A*AA?
Possibly for some courses! I'm doing psychology though
llamalover57
Rep:
?
Possibly for some courses! I'm doing psychology though
Ahh I just assumed you were doing chemical engineering
Advertisement
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hello TSR!

I'm currently in year 12 and studying Maths, Physics and Chemistry in school. I'm likely to be predicted AAB with a B in physics and would like to apply to universities such as Manchester and Birmingham for Chemical Engineering.

Aside from these 3, I also have an A level in Chinese, which I will be taking the A2 exam for this summer and I am expecting to get an A or a B.

With AAB predictions, and an obtained A or B grade in Chinese, do you think it is a good idea to for me to apply for Manchester (AAA) or Birmingham (A*AA/AAAA) with a reasonable chance of getting an offer?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
You will likely be fine.

You can check the likelihood of getting an offer with specific grades using the UCAS Offer Calculator

https://www.ucas.com/advisers/offer-rate-calculator/

But it's a good idea to have a spread of choices some below, some at and some above your predicted grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
llamalover57
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doonesbury)
You will likely be fine.

You can check the likelihood of getting an offer with specific grades using the UCAS Offer Calculator

https://www.ucas.com/advisers/offer-rate-calculator/

But it's a good idea to have a spread of choices some below, some at and some above your predicted grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I've tried that out, but the issue is that it's got the option 'chemistry or chemical engineering' and chemistry has a lower entry requirements, thanks anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
Advertisement
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yeah I've tried that out, but the issue is that it's got the option 'chemistry or chemical engineering' and chemistry has a lower entry requirements, thanks anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well it's >90% even if you select Engineering (also typically AAA)

Attachment 643080
llamalover57
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Well it's >90% even if you select Engineering (also typically AAA)

Attachment 643080
I really hope >90% would be the case, though it's generally AAB for engineering at birmingham and manchester
Advertisement
llamalover57
Rep:
?
bump
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
bump
No need to bump. You have an answer

If you want a more definitive answer you will need to ask the university. They are best placed to give you a more considered answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Advertisement
KardasDragon
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Applied with what would be the equivalent of ABC to AAB CivEng courses and I still got offers from all but one
llamalover57
Rep:
?
(Original post by KardasDragon)
Applied with what would be the equivalent of ABC to AAB CivEng courses and I still got offers from all but one
Niceeee. When and where did you apply?
Advertisement
KardasDragon
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Niceeee. When and where did you apply?
Glasgow, Qub, Cardiff, Strathclyde. Last year

Edinburgh didn't give me offer but I expected that.
KA2018
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

did you get an offer for AAB or AAA?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (485)
33.49%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (599)
41.37%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (298)
20.58%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (66)
4.56%

Watched Threads