The Student Room Group

Basketball rules changed to allow players to wear hijabs

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RSVP
You're missing the point, muslim women in most parts of the middle east don't chose to wear the hijab, they are forced, and are beaten up if they don't comply.

Im sure most women do want to wear it , in all honesty how do you know they dont want to wear it?
Original post by RSVP
You're missing the point, muslim women in most parts of the middle east don't chose to wear the hijab, they are forced, and are beaten up if they don't comply.

Although this is true, I still don't see the problem with a woman willingly wearing a hijab in the west.
Reply 42
Original post by Lychee627
Im sure most women do want to wear it , in all honesty how do you know they dont want to wear it?

Erm, because they decided not to wear it?

LOL, what kind of a question is that :rofl:
Original post by RSVP
Erm, because they decided not to wear it?

LOL, what kind of a question is that :rofl:

But you said they are forced to wear it? How do you know they are forced??
Reply 44
Original post by feministy
Although this is true, I still don't see the problem with a woman willingly wearing a hijab in the west.

Neither do i

Women should be free to do and wear whatever they see please.

The problem is that in some areas, touted to be hotbeds of peace and tolerant they have to *cough Middle east cough*
Reply 45
But you said they are forced to wear it? How do you know they are forced??

Because its written into the theocratic constitutions in countries like Sudan, Iran and Saudi Arabia.
Original post by RSVP
Because its written into the theocratic constitutions in countries like Sudan, Iran and Saudi Arabia.

And how many women are forced?
Reply 47
Original post by Zargabaath
They didn't even need to wear the hijab, it's women's basketball, so men aren't watching them anyway :lol:

Can't guarantee no men will see them that day though lmao
Reply 48
And how many women are forced?

Like how old are you?

I feel like i am arguing with a little 14 year old kid.

What does the amount have to do with anything?

The fact that there are rules in place forcing women to wear pieces of clothing is bad enough, the amount of women it affects is completely irrelevant :smile:
Reply 49
Martial Arts this is- I mean Mashallah zis is very good news, my family in Saudi Arabia are za happy to do the hearing of zis!

It iz za bad enough zat zees girls are blaying with za balls, at za least za hijab will do za com-pen-sate-ing of zer haram deeds of blaying wiz za balls!
Original post by RSVP
Like how old are you?

I feel like i am arguing with a little 14 year old kid.

What does the amount have to do with anything?

The fact that there are rules in place forcing women to wear pieces of clothing is bad enough, the amount of women it affects is completely irrelevant :smile:

Do you know how many women are forced? Do you not know :mmm:
Why are you even arguing , I am just messing around :rofl: in the mood to annoy some people :colondollar:
Original post by Mathemagicien
Don't be ignorant, Islam is the most feminist religion. Did Islam burn witches?

More than likely yes, they did.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_Hussain_Sibat
Original post by RSVP
Women should be free to do and wear whatever they see please.

This is relative. In Saudi Arabia and other Islamic countries no women should not be free to do and wear whatever they please.

In the west they should be because that is the system of law you've chosen. The Muslims in those countries have chosen Islamic law.

It's like China saying "British citizens should be free to eat whatever animals they want, like cats and dogs" when this clearly is a relative statement.
Reply 53
Original post by AishaGirl
This is relative. In Saudi Arabia and other Islamic countries no women should not be free to do and wear whatever they please.

In the west they should be because that is the system of law you've chosen. The Muslims in those countries have chosen Islamic law.

It's like China saying "British citizens should be free to eat whatever animals they want, like cats and dogs" when this clearly is a relative statement.

Are you really comparing theocratic gender subjugation with preference of what to eat? that is the largest false equivalence I have ever seen.

What other moral relativisms are you fine with? This sets a risky precedent.
Original post by gjd800
Are you really comparing theocratic gender subjugation with preference of what to eat? that is the largest false equivalence I have ever seen.

What other moral relativisms are you fine with? This sets a risky precedent.

Are you not a moral relativist?
Original post by gjd800

Assume there are people in the UK that would like to eat cats and dogs but they are not allowed to because the UK law says they can't. China hear this and they are outraged and say "those citizens are being discriminated against, they should be allowed to eat whatever animals they want.

No they shouldn't... because the UK law prohibits eating cats and dogs. Just as Saudi Arabia prevents women dressing like skanks and not observing the hijab.

It's really very simple when you snap out of your own biased viewpoint.
Reply 56
Original post by StudyJosh
Are you not a moral relativist?

Only when it suits me to excuse my own bad behaviour! But otherwise I tend to agree with Blackburn's stance that since it cannot arbitrate disagreements, it fails as a coherent system. I also tend on the side that you needn't be a moral realist to confine moral 'laws' to a coherent logic.
Reply 57
Original post by AishaGirl
Assume there are people in the UK that would like to eat cats and dogs but they are not allowed to because the UK law says they can't. China hear this and they are outraged and say "those citizens are being discriminated against, they should be allowed to eat whatever animals they want.

No they shouldn't... because the UK law prohibits eating cats and dogs. Just as Saudi Arabia prevents women dressing like skanks and not observing the hijab.

It's really very simple when you snap out of your own biased viewpoint.

No, that is a lazy cop-out that allows for all sorts of monstrous actions provided that they are in some place legislated in law. The question is not 'is it legal', but 'is it right'.
Original post by gjd800
Only when it suits me to excuse my own bad behaviour! But otherwise I tend to agree with Blackburn's stance that since it cannot arbitrate disagreements, it fails as a coherent system. I also tend on the side that you needn't be a moral realist to confine moral 'laws' to a coherent logic.

Original post by gjd800
No, that is a lazy cop-out that allows for all sorts of monstrous actions provided that they are in some place legislated in law. The question is not 'is it legal', but 'is it right'.

But you are a moral relativist so how can there be a right? Abortion kills a human being and it it seen as right because that human being is in a woman's womb. It's also legal. How can you say whether that is right or not?
Original post by gjd800
The question is not 'is it legal', but 'is it right'.

And the only right way to live is the western way? Do you not see how selfish and biased that viewpoint is?

You're only saying the western way is the right way because you're western. If you were born in Saudi Arabia and raised a Muslim you would be saying the Islamic way is the right way and you would say it with just as much conviction as a normal Saudi would.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending