Why does anyone think voting tory is a good idea? Watch

QuentinM
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
*Some people want Theresa May negotiating this whole brexit thingy
*Some people believe she will lower their taxes. Especially the richer folks.
*The economy did kinda well under the last government before her, so....
*Labours policies mainly appeal to younger voters-better unemployment benefits (more young people out of work than older), more housing (less first time buyers), cheaper education (more students are young people). People over 40 probably dont give two craps about free university accomodation (and a fair few dont like students).
*Labour did kinda balloon the national deficit when they were last in power, just sayin.

You can't just say "i dont see why anyone would vote that way"....you have lived your life, there are plenty of things you havent experienced that maybe would change your views. Im not saying I agree with any of the stuff above (I disagree with most of it, and like you will vote either Green/Labour), but if you want any hope of convincing people that their current views are wrong, you have to be able to show you understand why they think the way they do at the moment (not easy for UKIP voters though...lol)
QuentinM
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anoushka00)
The Tory party believes in meritocracy- working your way up for the things you want in life regardless of your circumstances, ie making the best out of your situation. They support those with low income and encourage people to make something of themselves. Obviously not every person has a good quality of life and those that need support get it- however a lot of British people cheat the benefit system. Labour is a hugely divided party and half of the party do not support Corbyn and didn't want him to be leader of their party but they are now pushing for him to be leader of the country? Economically the Conservatives have always been stronger than Labour. The Tories legalised same sex marriage which the Labour Party did not despite being in office 6 times after the Sexual Offences Act which shocks me when people accuse Tories of not caring about people. Corbyns policies would damage are economy massively and he wants to completely abolish the House of Lords! Meaning life peers who can give and educated approach to legislation etc would be replaced with MPs who only have a knowledge on politics
To turn this into a tiny bit of a debate
1) "A lot of people cheat the system"....really? Last time i checked, benefit fraud cases were so low its like 1% of the benefits budget. If it was like 10% upwards, fair enough

2)You say economically they have always been stronger but give no evidence to back up your statement. Need i remind you of the pretty significant boom after a year or two of Blair (although I dont agree with entirely how he got there). And is economic growth at the cost of an NHS now in crisis (thanks to tory cuts), crippling student debt (thanks to Tory cuts), growing inequality (thanks to tory cuts to benefits), primary/secondary schools in crisis (thanks to tory cuts), and a massive rise in child poverty and the number of food banks now open in the UK (thanks to tory cuts)....is that really worth it? Especially given how relatively slow the economy has grown, relative to the suffering a lot of people feel

3) The house of lords is an unelected body of over 1,000 people, and they've has most of their power stripped from them...fairly certain Corbyn wants to replace them with another elected body. One without life terms, so you can actually hold people to account based on how they vote. And im fairly certain the Lib Dems and greens also want to abolish the house of lords too.

And if you cared so much about benefit fraud, what are your thoughts on some of the more ridiculous expenses claims that Lords have been making for decades? claiming large amounts for tiny taxi journeys, for example?
Aliceorlik
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No

Posted from TSR Mobile
dmy15
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Vote Tory so they can quadruple our uni fees? lol
username1738683
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The Tories are the only viable option, the least bad one if you prefer. Just imagine Labour in its present form thrusted into government, having to deal with Brexit whilst implementing a social revolution and an economic miracle at the same time. With the help of the unions, who would have a much bigger say on everything. Only youthful exuberance can make anyone regard them as a viable option.
BigYoSpeck
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by zhog)
The Tories are the only viable option, the least bad one if you prefer. Just imagine Labour in its present form thrusted into government, having to deal with Brexit whilst implementing a social revolution and an economic miracle at the same time. With the help of the unions, who would have a much bigger say on everything. Only youthful exuberance can make anyone regard them as a viable option.
The choice is basically either an unproven government with such bold promises that people are sceptical of in Labour.

Or a well proven and highly effective government in the Conservatives. The problem is I don't mean that as a compliment. The conservatives have been incredibly effective at pushing down the quality of living for normal people. Britain being a country with a healthy growing economy, yet the only country in Europe other than Greece with a decline in average people's real earnings. Austerity measures that are decimating health care with an NHS on the brink. Cuts to social care that has cost lives. Cuts to education while pushing for a tiered system in grammar schools that has historically favoured the already affluent.

If you vote for the Conservatives you are electing a government that is highly competent at doing what it does. But what it does is hurting you. Maybe Labours plans are pie in the sky, but given how many countries around the world successfully provide high standards of living to average people without worrying about being a large global economy isn't it worth taking a chance on?

I'd sooner put my faith in a man I don't know can do the job he's claiming he can do, but at least wants to do the job we need someone to do rather than a woman I know for sure can do the job she's planning on doing which will harm 95% of the people in this country.
JWKelly99
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sarahsez)
A better question is why is labour losing??
Cause they have no clue what there doing 😂
Aliccam
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by JWKelly99)
Cause they have no clue what there doing 😂
What it really is is that you don't know what they are doing, as the media are making sure you don't, as you would realise that the policies they are proposing are much better for you than the ones the Tories are proposing. This is because the media are owned and controlled by the very rich, and the Tories are the party that look after the very rich.
Aliccam
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by QuentinM)
*Labour did kinda balloon the national deficit when they were last in power, just sayin.
The Tories have more than doubled the national deficit since they cam in. They say they are the best at managing the economy but in reality they are getting it completely wrong. The only ones currently benefiting under the Tories are those that are so rich they don't need to.
Aliccam
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by zhog)
The Tories are the only viable option, the least bad one if you prefer.
If you apply this logic you will always get bad government.
[QUOTE]Just imagine Labour in its present form thrusted into government, having to deal with Brexit whilst implementing a social revolution and an economic miracle at the same time. With the help of the unions, who would have a much bigger say on everything./QUOTE]
Labour will become much more cohesive if they win, as it will prove to the right wing Labour MPs (that are still in having been brought in by Blair) that the the Party is moving in the right direction. They are not proposing to implement a social revolution, at least not immediately, they are just going to reverse some of the damage done to ordinary peoples living standards by the Tories. The unions may have a bigger say but that is only in that at the moment they have virtually no say, which is why wages are at ridiculously low levels particularly for lower skilled workers.
Aliccam
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jirga)
I'm poor as hell and would vote conservatives over labour. Corbin is just awful, they need better people.
What is is you think makes him awful?
Aliccam
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mirko123)
From what I got following a little bit english politics. Labour hates the working class and panders to non-whites. They are also basically traitors of the English people as they are siding with the EU and Brussels.

Another problem is that the leader Corbyn is a crazy communists who has good ties with terrorist groups like IRA and Hamas.

Considering all this I see why an average person from England would side with Torries over Labour.
Try getting your politics from sources other than the gutter press and you may find out some real English politics.
QuentinM
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Aliccam)
The Tories have more than doubled the national deficit since they cam in. They say they are the best at managing the economy but in reality they are getting it completely wrong. The only ones currently benefiting under the Tories are those that are so rich they don't need to.
Wrong, they were bringing it down until Brexit, now the austerity needed to finally finish off the deficit is ridiculous. See this graph, it ballooned in 2010 under Labour what with all the bailouts, and theyve been cutting it down. Just at the expense of the middle/working class.

http://www.ukpublicspending.co.uk/uk...ficit_analysis

Im ok with the government borrowing more money, as long as its justified-if they are investing in ways to improve the economy for everyone, fair enough, because one day we will have more people paying more taxes and less people claiming welfare payments
Aliccam
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Wrong, they were bringing it down until Brexit, now the austerity needed to finally finish off the deficit is ridiculous. See this graph, it ballooned in 2010 under Labour what with all the bailouts, and theyve been cutting it down. Just at the expense of the middle/working class.

Im ok with the government borrowing more money, as long as its justified-if they are investing in ways to improve the economy for everyone, fair enough, because one day we will have more people paying more taxes and less people claiming welfare payments
Sorry I meant to say the amount of borrowing has doubled. The bailouts were due to the crash which was not caused by Labour, but by the banks.
Debt can also be reduced by increasing taxation or earnings, (The Tories are actually starting to realise that austerity doesn't work.)

http://www.ukpublicspending.co.uk/uk..._debt_analysis
QuentinM
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Aliccam)
Sorry I meant to say the amount of borrowing has doubled. The bailouts were due to the crash which was not caused by Labour, but by the banks.
Debt can also be reduced by increasing taxation or earnings, (The Tories are actually starting to realise that austerity doesn't work.)

http://www.ukpublicspending.co.uk/uk..._debt_analysis
Errr the budget deficit is the amount of money borrowed by the government each year. If you are talking about the national debt....arguably thats a carry over from the last government making such a large deficit in the first place. Its like how in the US they complain Obama added more to the US debt than any other president in history, despite the fact it was all due to Bush (going to iraq, then trying to save the economy). So i don't blame them for that, i blame them for their unfair way to reduce the deficit on the backs of the working class/middle class, instead of everyone paying a fair share
paul514
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Actually post brexit it's gone down another 20 billion

Posted from TSR Mobile
1998RF
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm so fed up of people judging you for what you want to vote.
meenu89
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just imagine Diane Abbott and John McDonnell sitting on the Government benches in the Commons......
Aliccam
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Errr the budget deficit is the amount of money borrowed by the government each year. If you are talking about the national debt....arguably thats a carry over from the last government making such a large deficit in the first place. Its like how in the US they complain Obama added more to the US debt than any other president in history, despite the fact it was all due to Bush (going to iraq, then trying to save the economy). So i don't blame them for that, i blame them for their unfair way to reduce the deficit on the backs of the working class/middle class, instead of everyone paying a fair share
The actual amount of debt has doubled. This means all the debt accumulated in all the years prior to the Tories taking over in 2010, has been doubled and more. The deficit is really only are they adding or not to the total debt.
BigYoSpeck
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by meenu89)
Just imagine Diane Abbott and John McDonnell sitting on the Government benches in the Commons......
Do you have Boris as your avatar out of irony or do you not care that he's an appalling excuse for a human being?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ed-nasty-video
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (93)
16.61%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (58)
10.36%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (99)
17.68%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (84)
15%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (56)
10%
How can I be the best version of myself? (170)
30.36%

Watched Threads