The Student Room Group

Question about postgraduate funding.

I am in my 3rd year of and undergraduate MMath/Phys degree and am unsure whether or not I could secure the new government funding for a MSci in pure maths after completing the program I am currently on.

Also, any opinions on whether a full postgraduate masters would increase the chance of eventually getting into a PhD program for pure maths at all, or would it make more sense to stay with MMath/Phys degree and not bother with the MSci at all?
Original post by jackj2.718
I am in my 3rd year of and undergraduate MMath/Phys degree and am unsure whether or not I could secure the new government funding for a MSci in pure maths after completing the program I am currently on.

Also, any opinions on whether a full postgraduate masters would increase the chance of eventually getting into a PhD program for pure maths at all, or would it make more sense to stay with MMath/Phys degree and not bother with the MSci at all?

The best people to ask are student finance so I'm moving this to the relevant forum. Have you looked on their website as well to work out if you're eligible?

With PhDs, you can go straight into them from undergrad but you may be competing with people who have masters degrees so you may find that beneficial but finance is something to consider as above. Your MMath will have given you some additional research experience compared to just a BSc in math. The other thing to consider is whether unis consider the MMath equivalent of a full masters degree which only the unis you're considering applying to can tell you.
Original post by jackj2.718

Hi Jack,

If you complete an Integrated Masters course and then go on to study towards another Masters, we would not expect you to be eligible for the Postgraduate Loan from SFE.

This is due to our rules on Equivalent Level Qualifications (ELQs) which state that if you already hold a qualification, you will not be entitled to funding for another course which leads to an equal or lower level of qualification being awarded.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending