The Student Room Group
Reply 1
My York offer was AAB...I put it down as insurance. If they have spaces to fill though, they will lower their offers to make sure people apply.
Reply 2
I saw that, was my backup plan incase I didn't get into Manchester cus i didn't want to go to Leicester. Nottingham had something like CCC.
Reply 3
Wow! Looks like some lucky people have a place at York then. I was going to check York out if I didn't get into Birmingham because I've heard somewhere about them letting people in with lower grades.
Reply 4
In the past two or three years the number of applicants for compsci has dropped out, this year I don't think Cam, Ox, Imp, Soton, UCL and Reading are taking from clearing but it seems every other major uni is. It was very similar last year, but, Warwick and York didn't seem to be in clearing that time. It would seem that it needs a bit of consolidation, with the drop in funding rate from the government coming into affect (this year or next?) it seems to make less financial sense to unis with small take up rates to actually continue with compsci courses.

Alaric.
Reply 5
If someone had been rejected from York originally, would they still be able to apply through clearing?

(hypothetically)
Reply 6
My offer was AAB, didn't think I was going to make it, so my tutor rang them up months ago and their reply was that they would accept ABB. I got ABB and I'm in :biggrin: When I looked on York clearing on Thursday morning, the offer was also ABB.
Reply 7
Alaric
In the past two or three years the number of applicants for compsci has dropped out, this year I don't think Cam, Ox, Imp, Soton, UCL and Reading are taking from clearing but it seems every other major uni is. It was very similar last year, but, Warwick and York didn't seem to be in clearing that time. It would seem that it needs a bit of consolidation, with the drop in funding rate from the government coming into affect (this year or next?) it seems to make less financial sense to unis with small take up rates to actually continue with compsci courses.

Alaric.

Its hard to know if they are in clearing really though as Oxbridge and the like don't normaly advertise their clearing places as they know that someone will phone in anyway as a long shot.
Reply 8
I got an interview for a clearing place at York with BBBbc
Chubb
Its hard to know if they are in clearing really though as Oxbridge and the like don't normaly advertise their clearing places as they know that someone will phone in anyway as a long shot.

I thought Oxbridge don't give out places for clearing to anyone who didn't receive an offer or apply to them? Isn't it only internal clearing in their pool system?
Reply 10
guest1984
I was bored, and just checked out the clearing for different universities......and found out that Computer science at York only requires BCC.........anyone found this surprising?....its supposed to be one the best university in the country for Computer science and requirement is usually AAB at the least.......

:rolleyes:

http://www.york.ac.uk/admin/uao/clearing/cscien is the link

yea same with UCL, only bbc or something. I thought computer science's pretty popular.
Reply 11
It did surprise me when I first saw York's Comp Sci clearing offer, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was to get people to apply, and then they'll try and pick the best from who ever applied.
Reply 12
Is computer science a less popular choice now because of the decline of the IT industry?
Reply 13
Chubb

I've never met anyone here that phoned on the off chance after results, it just wouldn't happen. If they've applied, been interviewed, got an offer and then not met the grades and phone up they're relatively likely to get in. Oxbridge work on very small speculation margins as they can be in serious trouble if they offer to many (like not having enough rooms), so they tend to take people who've not made their grades more.

Alaric.
Reply 14
Soulfish
It did surprise me when I first saw York's Comp Sci clearing offer, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was to get people to apply, and then they'll try and pick the best from who ever applied.

It still means they've got unfilled places, which didn't seem to be happening a couple of years ago. Of course as someone mentioned, we can't know for sure if a place that doesn't enter clearing is full, but one that does is almost certain to not have a full course.

Alaric.
Reply 15
TheWolf
Is computer science a less popular choice now because of the decline of the IT industry?

Well according to the Times its still the most popular course in the country.
Reply 16
I went to look around York... very scary place lots of intelligent people... intelligent but dangeriously insane :P

The guy who took me around was so hyperactive he mustve shot Pure Caffeine into his veins every hour or something :P.

Latest

Trending

Trending