igcsecrazy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,

I don't know where to post this as it is about undergraduate studies, however I'd like opinions/thoughts of those who've finished their degree.

My younger brother is going to university this Sept and has offers from: Surrey, Leicester, Leeds Beckett, Brookes and St. Johns (the rankings range from 13th to 122nd). He is doing business so I don't really know if the reputation of the university matters too much once you enter the workplace. I've gone a different route as I want to go into academia so I don't know much about that.

He firmed Surrey (after my mum and I kept persuading him to) and insured Leeds Beckett. He doesn't have the grades at the moment to reach his offer for Surrey so it is likely he'll go to Beckett, but my question is, should he have insured Leicester as it is better in rankings? Its a difference of 80+ places.

What have you gone onto after your degree? Did your university make much of a difference?

Also I should say we're international students so finding a job in the UK requires a working visa, therefore competition is high which is why I thought the rankings would matter a lot.

Thanks!
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by igcsecrazy)
This will probably be better off in the business section so I'm moving it there. Rankings mean little in the grand scheme of things but Leicester is far better than Leeds Beckett in a lot of other ways I assume such as industry contacts and course as they do a lot more work (research) in the field. However, if you don't think he'll make the grads for Surrey why do you think he will for Leicester? Presumably they have similar offers? I think UCAS has a 7 day cool off period after you make your choices. Alternatively your brother can have a look through extra or clearing if he rejects all his offers. Please consider these choices very carefully though as the course may not be available. The final things he can consider is reapplying or transferring next year, The final point to make is that if you're non-EU students it's next to impossible to get a job after you graduate so you may want to consider a plan B.

Sorry the other thing to say is have a look on TSR connect where you can filter by course and uni to see if there is anyone doing business at these unis.
igcsecrazy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by alleycat393)
This will probably be better off in the business section so I'm moving it there. Rankings mean little in the grand scheme of things but Leicester is far better than Leeds Beckett in a lot of other ways I assume such as industry contacts and course as they do a lot more work (research) in the field. However, if you don't think he'll make the grads for Surrey why do you think he will for Leicester? Presumably they have similar offers? I think UCAS has a 7 day cool off period after you make your choices. Alternatively your brother can have a look through extra or clearing if he rejects all his offers. Please consider these choices very carefully though as the course may not be available. The final things he can consider is reapplying or transferring next year, The final point to make is that if you're non-EU students it's next to impossible to get a job after you graduate so you may want to consider a plan B.

Sorry the other thing to say is have a look on TSR connect where you can filter by course and uni to see if there is anyone doing business at these unis.
He's doing BTEC and Leicesters conditions are DDM (which he's on) compared to Surrey's DDD but the issue is his GCSE math as its a D and he's taken it 2 or 3 times already. All his unis require a C. So I guess he's just playing it super safe with Leeds Beckett. Yeah extra/clearing is a good call once his final results are out, thanks!

Yeah being non-EU is tough as I tried finding a job after grad but failed to do so. However we are switching passports soon and with this one we'd have the ability to apply to that youth mobility scheme so theres a chance of finding a job
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (33)
15.21%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (66)
30.41%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (25)
11.52%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (18)
8.29%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (12)
5.53%
I think it's an unfair expectation (60)
27.65%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed