The Student Room Group

Students finding a new way to cheat in University exams

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2

So someone walks in with a sheaf of 24 sheets of apparently blank paper. And then sets up their ultraviolet lamp as if nothing is happening and away they go...

I'd have thought an invigilator might just notice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Meany Pie

Wow, it just hit me how true that is

No people cheat to get a better classification on their degree. How else do you propose we measure what someone has learnt at university?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Underscore__
No people cheat to get a better classification on their degree. How else do you propose we measure what someone has learnt at university?

Their actual working ability in a real world scenario.
Their actual working ability in a real world scenario.

But if I'm looking to hire a graduate how do I know? I do agree that the way testing is done is stupid, it's more a test of memory than knowledge but students have to be tested

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, I never thought that stuff like this would happen. I know students do cheat in exams but this has got to be one of the mot weird and not-so-wonderful ways I've ever seen...

The invigilator must surely notice the blank paper and the pink light emitted from the UV pen!
But if I'm looking to hire a graduate how do I know? I do agree that the way testing is done is stupid, it's more a test of memory than knowledge but students have to be tested

Posted from TSR Mobile

What about references from lecturers, tutors and any potential bosses in placement years?

Could also start asking students to prepare and publish work for wider peer review, that way students can prove they have the skills they actually need going forward.
Original post by mojojojo101
What about references from lecturers, tutors and any potential bosses in placement years?

Could also start asking students to prepare and publish work for wider peer review, that way students can prove they have the skills they actually need going forward.

I don't see how a lecturer can actually judge what you've learnt though, they know what they've covered in lectures but they don't know you've actually understood it and done further reading. Most people don't do placement years.

Being able to write an article doesn't show you have the skills to do a lot of jobs. My course for example, writing an article on some area of the law would not show I have the skills to be a solicitor. We essentially ask students to do this already, it's called writing essays which are reviewed by lecturers. The current system is far from perfect but there's no point in changing it to something equally as imperfect
Reply 11
I don't see how a lecturer can actually judge what you've learnt though, they know what they've covered in lectures but they don't know you've actually understood it and done further reading. Most people don't do placement years.

Being able to write an article doesn't show you have the skills to do a lot of jobs. My course for example, writing an article on some area of the law would not show I have the skills to be a solicitor. We essentially ask students to do this already, it's called writing essays which are reviewed by lecturers. The current system is far from perfect but there's no point in changing it to something equally as imperfect

Agreed. Why change to something that might not work when our current system works fine (not perfect, but fine :smile:)
Reward for being Smart :tf:
The human eye contains cells that can detect UV light. It's just that the lens of the human eye doesn't refract light enough to make UV detectable. Some people who have had their lenses surgically replaced for various reasons find that they can see into the UV range - that they can see, for example, the 'secret' patterns and UV-reflective patches on flowers that are otherwise seen only by bees and birds.

The upshot is, if you had the right kind of surgery and it was a sunny enough day, you wouldn't necessarily need to bring in a UV lamp - you could just write whatever formulae you liked in UV ink on your hands and they would be visible only to you.
One of my friends used to write his cheat sheet on the inside of the lenses of his glasses, then during the exam, he would take them off when he really needed to "think" about a question on the paper.

Never got caught and always passed.
Reply 15

Why is Neil wearing a christmas tree?

Posted from TSR Mobile

A combination of exams, assignments and controlled assessment. Trouble is, the later two are time consuming and therefore expensive. Much cheaper to shove everyone in a room and sit a standard test.
Original post by ByEeek
A combination of exams, assignments and controlled assessment. Trouble is, the later two are time consuming and therefore expensive. Much cheaper to shove everyone in a room and sit a standard test.

I don't know anyone who's course was assessed by exams only there are lots of methods

Posted from TSR Mobile
I saw an article about this on the news.. I don't understand how they even let blank paper in the exam hall?
In my school we have to leave everything outside and can only enter with a clear pencil case ..
Original post by tamanna___
I saw an article about this on the news.. I don't understand how they even let blank paper in the exam hall?
In my school we have to leave everything outside and can only enter with a clear pencil case ..

In the report that I saw, I think the notes were written on the pages of the law book that they were (legitimately) allowed to take into the room?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending