Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Girls: Waxing Legs watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    How painful is it really? I have fairly sensitive skin, but I hate that when I shave my legs I tend to get those horrible red bumps from it. So I thought I'd try waxing instead. Is this a good idea?

Just incase it makes a difference, I'll probably just try at-home wax strips, like from Veet, or even Boots' own brand. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for any help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SugarPlum)
    How painful is it really? I have fairly sensitive skin, but I hate that when I shave my legs I tend to get those horrible red bumps from it. So I thought I'd try waxing instead. Is this a good idea?

Just incase it makes a difference, I'll probably just try at-home wax strips, like from Veet, or even Boots' own brand. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for any help!
    Depends just how sensitive your legs are, I guess it's like tweezing your brows you get used to it over time. I dunno, I tried it once and it hurt pretty bad, especially up close to the bikini area...{youch!} My problem was I got alot of ingrown hairs afterwards so I went back to just shaving, it's quicker too.

ReputationRep:

Thanks for any help!
    Honestly its really quite painful but totally worth it because your legs feel fab after. If you are going to do it yourself get a fairly well known one specially made for sensitive skin

ReputationRep:
    What are ingrown hairs? Are they painful?

:confused:

ReputationRep:
    Hairy legs.... *shudders*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lotus_lee)
    Hairy legs.... *shudders*
    Yeh its disturbing. Almost as bad as hairy armpits *throws up*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinity)
    Depends just how sensitive your legs are, I guess it's like tweezing your brows you get used to it over time. I dunno, I tried it once and it hurt pretty bad, especially up close to the bikini area...{youch!} My problem was I got alot of ingrown hairs afterwards so I went back to just shaving, it's quicker too.
    Plucking your eyebrows won't hurt if you do it straight after a shower and moisturise and pull them out in the direction they are growing, eg, not yanking them back on themselves.

Waxing legs.. is painful. The idea is do it quickly, don't wait!! Just whatever you do don't start with bikini line.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innercitylife)
    Plucking your eyebrows won't hurt if you do it straight after a shower and moisturise and pull them out in the direction they are growing, eg, not yanking them back on themselves.

Waxing legs.. is painful. The idea is do it quickly, don't wait!! Just whatever you do don't start with bikini line.
    I dont know if this is true or not but someone once told me for a rule of thumb that if you dont have to heat up the wax its less painful. I tried an all natural room temperature wax before and it didnt hurt at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayG)
    I dont know if this is true or not but someone once told me for a rule of thumb that if you dont have to heat up the wax its less painful. I tried an all natural room temperature wax before and it didnt hurt at all.
    Hmm yes I've heard the same rumours. But then again, have done normal room temperature waxes and they aren't exactly pleasant, but it could be that I do have sensitive skin.

ReputationRep:
    You get more ingrown hairs from waxing??? I'd have thought you get more from shaving? Guess not!

ReputationRep:
    You get more ingrown hairs from waxing??? I'd have thought you get more from shaving? Guess not!
    Is it actually possible to reduce the redness ofingrown hairs, they look very unsighty.?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usuallystressed)
    Is it actually possible to reduce the redness ofingrown hairs, they look very unsighty.?
    I'm not sure, that's what I was wondering. I thought waxing would prevent them because I tend to get them from shaving (hence the red bumps, which look awful). Anyone know???

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure, that's what I was wondering. I thought waxing would prevent them because I tend to get them from shaving (hence the red bumps, which look awful). Anyone know???
    If you exfoliate your legs after shaving it helps using a body scrub.

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend getting your legs waxed professionally - especially the first time round. After that if you prefer the outcome of waxed legs to shaved legs then could always try a home kit. It's also useful if you can get someone to help you (like your mum or sister) cos it can be a bit tricky not to mention messy(especially if you use hot wax). Always exfoliate and use moisturiser - this reduces the number of ingrowing hairs. You'll get used to waxing, at least it lasts longer than shaving! Smoother legs for longer! Happy waxing!

ReputationRep:
    To get rid of the red bumps just shave along the 'grain' of the hairs rather than against..

ReputationRep:
    its honestly not that bad once you get started. its not good if before you have started you think its going to rip you apart, cos taht will only make things worse.
    epilating....now that hurts

ReputationRep:
    I wax my balls

ReputationRep:

Thanks for any help!

Waxing is painful but worth it, It is very useful for legs, dont wax any other areas, cos theyre too extremely painful. You are hairless for 2 weeks and it takes longer time to grow and if you use it all the time, there will be a reduction in hair growth.
    However it does take long, shaving is the quickest method, have you tried intution? Its brill, no shaving gel required and its really smooth and good for the knees and elbows.
    But I use Veets hair removing spray, its green and white in a bottle, cost a fiver, but so easy to use, just spray it everywhere where u want the hair to be removed, very good for the bikini and genital areas (make sure you get sensitive), leave on for 10 minutes and take it off by a sponge. I think its better than the other creams you can get. Hope that helped!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Investmentboy)
    I wax my balls

:eek: ooo painful.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone!

p.s.- shaving along with the "grain" of the hair- totally doesn't work. Not a close enough shave at all.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.