The Student Room Group

Does student finance fund you for an extra year if you fail a year?

I'm in my second year of my four year degree and I want to change to a 3 year degree.
Original post by help!!!!!!!!!!
I'm in my second year of my four year degree and I want to change to a 3 year degree.

What you wrote doesnt make sense. Have you got the three and the four the wrong way round? Are they different degrees?. Which year will you be transferring into or are you expecting to start a completely different degree?

They pay for degree length + 1 gift year.

If its a different degree and you wish to start afresh rather than transfer, then you have used 2 years finance up. That means you would be eligible for degree length -1 year i.e for them to pay for years 2 and 3 and you would have to find your own fees for first year.

Your only option would be to put in a compelling personal reasons claim. You dont give enough information and I'm not going to chase this up so will leave it to someone else.
Original post by 999tigger
What you wrote doesnt make sense. Have you got the three and the four the wrong way round? Are they different degrees?. Which year will you be transferring into or are you expecting to start a completely different degree?

They pay for degree length + 1 gift year.

If its a different degree and you wish to start afresh rather than transfer, then you have used 2 years finance up. That means you would be eligible for degree length -1 year i.e for them to pay for years 2 and 3 and you would have to find your own fees for first year.

Your only option would be to put in a compelling personal reasons claim. You dont give enough information and I'm not going to chase this up so will leave it to someone else.

No my degree is 4 years and I'm currently on my year aboard. But when I get back I want to change my degree slightly... I will be entering in the 2nd of a 3 year degree. Can I still get funding?
No my degree is 4 years and I'm currently on my year aboard. But when I get back I want to change my degree slightly... I will be entering in the 2nd of a 3 year degree. Can I still get funding?

So you're in your 3rd year out of 4 and you want to move into 2nd year of a 3 year degree? You've already had 3 years of funding, so no you won't be able to get full funding

Should be fine imo as you have simply used your gift year and arent asking to start the course fresh. Talk to SFE.
Original post by stemmery
So you're in your 3rd year out of 4 and you want to move into 2nd year of a 3 year degree? You've already had 3 years of funding, so no you won't be able to get full funding

Except they say second year.

Clarification OP is your second year the year abroad? My previous answer was based on you have received 2 years funding thus far. Your year abroad will count as a year if you received funding.
(edited 6 years ago)

Who cares. This thread is stupid anyway, the only way they will find out for sure is from SFE. Good day to you:smile:

I'm in my 2nd year
I'm in my 2nd year

Whatever bro, ask SFE if you want a definite answer. It's really that simple.

Clarification OP is your second year the year abroad? My previous answer was based on you have received 2 years funding thus far. Your year abroad will count as a year if you received funding.

Yep I'm in my second year and I'm on my year aboard and I have received funding for my second year
Whatever bro, ask SFE if you want a definite answer. It's really that simple.

Why are you angry?is it that deep?
Yep I'm in my second year and I'm on my year aboard and I have received funding for my second year

You'll be entitled to (3+1) - 2 = 2 years of funding. If you enter at point 2 (year 2) you'll be fine. The advice to speak to SF is still the best advice though as some quirk of your circumstances may render this incorrect.
Original post by ByronicHero
You'll be entitled to (3+1) - 2 = 2 years of funding. If you enter at point 2 (year 2) you'll be fine. The advice to speak to SF is still the best advice though as some quirk of your circumstances may render this incorrect.

Thank you! !!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest