Will Jeremy Corbyn stand down if Labour loses the general election?

Watch
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
If Labour loses the general election will you, Jeremy Corbyn, take full responsibility and not seek to blame the media or the moderate wing of the PLP?
SMEGGGY
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
He needs to today, as this is a reflection of Jume 8th but he's a selfish bast... Out for himself and union :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:s

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Snufkin)
If Labour loses the general election will you, Jeremy Corbyn, take full responsibility and not seek to blame the media or the moderate wing of the PLP?
That will depend on the details of the election result, thus:

(a) any kind of Labour win, he stays.

(b) in the event of a loss, it depends on what MPs Labour has:

(i) if at least 15% are of the hard left he will resign, safe in the knowledge that a hard left candidate will be nominated and subsequently elected by the leftie 'supporters' in the popular vote.

(ii) if fewer than 15% are of the hard left he will try to cling on until the rules can be changed by the NEC in the autumn, reducing the proportion of nominations needed, so that a hard left MP can be nominated.

(iii) in the event of fewer than 15% hard left MPs, there may be a challenge, but Corbyn will probably win the popular (hard left dominated) vote, putting him back at situation (ii) above.
mysticmagic2000
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I don't even thinks it an if, it's a when....
Trinculo
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I can actually see Diane Abbott coming in.

JC will only leave if there's another hardliner in place - McDonnell is another old white dude, so they'll go full on moron and try and put Abbott in there.
Arran90
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Diane Abbott will mean Labour completely loses the white working class and blue collar Old Labour vote.

UKIP are doing terribly at the local elections but remember that it's the Conservative voting shires that are up for elections. UKIP might still have a trump card left to play when it comes to many urban and industrial areas.
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I can't vote but I ask you, Jeremy Corbyn, do you acknowledge that the Labour Party has done badly in the local elections. Also, what will you do to ensure that Labour is on the right track for the 8th June? If Labour losses what will you do?
EllyJelly
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No, he will never leave, even when the party is clearly hurtling towards a disastrous election he won't accept defeat... This my friend is why we're doomed to probably the biggest Tory majority ever on June 8th
meenu89
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I love you Jeremy! I want you to stay.
EllyJelly
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by truffle_999)
The tories are set to win a clear majority in the general election, and after the local and mayoral elections yesterday Labour have already suffered great losses. If labour is defeated, then Corbyn will obviously have to take responsibility for it and he's likely to be replaced. Most labour supporters don't want to vote labour because of Corbyn and I think it's quite sad to see other labour MPs distancing themselves from Corbyn especially in the aftermath of yesterdays elections.
I meant my comment kinda ironically - as in, it's already very clear that he is a major reason for Labour losing voters and yet he still blindly carries on. Who knows, after the election he and his supporters will probably say it was the media bias. Or 'Tories in Labour clothing', and then he'll STILL refuse to leave. It should be funny the way he clings onto leadership when there's obviously no hope, but it's not really, because we are going to end up with a completely unshakeable Tory majority and all its consequences.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by mysticmagic2000)
I don't even thinks it an if, it's a when....
I understand there is a plan to change the leadership contest rules at the Labour Party conference. After this then Jeremy Corbyn may step down.
EllyJelly
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by truffle_999)
I don't understand this. Corbyn was voted in as labour leader (with a convincing 62%) over Owen smith and now people don't want to tolerate anything under him. So that's why hes carried on despite members of his own party telling him to step down.
Its shocking that they suffered defeats in areas that have always supported labour for many years like Glasgow and Tees-valley. I agree - I think that his defenders will blame the media and the press for this but there's no doubt in my mind that Corbyn will step down. Labour will use this election as a reason to finally oust Corbyn out.
Because a) a big majority of his supporters are the trade unions, anyway and b) there's actually only a few hundred thousand Labour members. Sure 62% of those might love Corbyn and all he stands for, but many of those have become disillusioned (as is evident when long term Labour voters have actually said they wouldn't vote for the party with him as leader). Then you have the vastly greater number of non-Labour members who may have voted Labour in the past but don't support Corbyn.

Corbyn's big issue imo is his public image. All this non-conforming attitude (not wearing a decent suit, answering PMQs with letters from the public) is great at first until it starts to look a bit silly and childlike in the face of May, who although I hate what the Tories stand for, does present the face of an organised leader. Corbyn also purports himself to be a 'man of the people' yet he surrounds himself by the North London elite who are completely out of touch with Northern working class voters. Also, in a time where we have perhaps the most dangerous man on the planet threatening to start nuclear war and Corbyn repeatedly reiterates the fact that he would not support a nuclear deterrent, that's also a massive worry to national defence.

Meh, and ultimately, he doesn't present as a personality of inspiring leadership. Just him as a person. I hear people saying 'that doesn't matter, vote for his POLICIES' - oh but it does matter, so much. Many voters are superficial. I doubt too many take the time and effort to read policies and instead go for who looks like 'the better leader'. Who in this case is not Corbyn.
Andi.
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Although I'm a Tory voter I like Corbyn (and no, not in the sense that no one will vote for him so May will win), I actually think he is a good person trying to do good things and I believe the party have treated him terribly.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by meenu89)
I love you Jeremy! I want you to stay.
I think your profile picture gives away the ruse somewhat.
Logic4Life
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
One can only hope
Vikingninja
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Gonna need some of those poles with the hoops on the ends which they use to move rabid animals to get him out.
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
He will hang on until it is made so a left wing candidate can be essentially guaranteed to get put forward to the labour party members come a leadership election.
username2981082
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Corbyn will not stand down despite his party wanting him to. This is why I have more respect for Miliband and heck, even Piggy Cameron. Miliband and Cameron resigned with dignity. Corbyn, despite knowing the majority of Labour and the party's core block voters hate him, carries on in his futile attempt to lead the party.
k-92
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I don't think he will step down, he'll have to be forced out. I don't get why so many lefties like him, I see so many of my friends saying how he's a nice older man and I'm like really? He has trashed your party completely. It has no credibility. I will vote Conservative in this election but a strong opposition is important regardless of who is in government. He keeps moaning on about the Tories but his hubris and desire to push his own career at the cost of his party is what is going to allow another Tory government, the man is either completely selfish or a total idiot.
Trinculo
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think the essential mistake being made is the assumption that Jeremy Corbyn is a Labour man. He's not. He's a hardcore Marxist who has latched himself on to the Labour party for the last 30 years or so in the hope of inciting his revolution. He has no loyalty to Labour and he doesn't care if it lives or dies. What he wants is a Marxist party to exist and if that comes from within Labour or without (as per the influx or Momentum people), then that's all he wants.

Labour is on track to implode mostly down to him and his cohort. He's done nothing to arrest that decline - in fact he's obviously speeding it up. He's consistently rebelled against the party and voted against it both in government and opposition. He won't care if he walks away from a smoking ruin of a party in a few weeks or months or years - facing an enormous Conservative majority for the foreseeable future, as long as there are a few more Trots in the world.

Only in the deluded and utterly self-absorbed minds of JC and his gang can it be better that the major centre-left party is crippled or destroyed so long as his agenda is advanced, if only very slightly.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (136)
14.39%
I'm not sure (41)
4.34%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (285)
30.16%
I have already dropped out (24)
2.54%
I'm not a current university student (459)
48.57%

Watched Threads