The Student Room Group

How hard is Math A2 from Math AS? Sociology/Geography/Math- which A-level should I do

I would like to do Math A-level (Edexcel) in June 2018. However I cannot start studying them until November due to other obligations. I would be self-studying at home and I won't have any other subjects to do along side it. However I have always dreaded math and I don't particularly enjoy it. I also feel like I need it and it is the easier to self-study it rather than Sociology A-level because that's more essay based whereas Math is definitive. But how hard is it and will it be possible to obtain an A at least by purely studying math for 6 months? How repetitive or similar are the questions on the past paper? Should I even do math A-level or better off picking Sociology or Geography? I would like to study history & politics at uni so any advice would be appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

:bump:
Can someone please help?
Reply 3
A2 is much harder than AS for sure. You'll struggle to learn some of the topics on your own just following a video on youtube I'd imagine. Topics like integration by substitution and the parametrics particularly you'll struggle with. Maths is regarded as but far one of the hardest A-levels so don't kid yourself into thinking because theres a definitive right answer its easier because everything but that answer is incorrect. Geography and Sociology you're able to have a stab at without the exact knowledge required but open a C4 paper without studying the topics in depth enough and you won't even be able to do the first question. Depends entirely upon your ability to grasp new concepts and commitment to learning them I guess is what I'm saying.
Original post by Xzerzes
A2 is much harder than AS for sure. You'll struggle to learn some of the topics on your own just following a video on youtube I'd imagine. Topics like integration by substitution and the parametrics particularly you'll struggle with. Maths is regarded as but far one of the hardest A-levels so don't kid yourself into thinking because theres a definitive right answer its easier because everything but that answer is incorrect. Geography and Sociology you're able to have a stab at without the exact knowledge required but open a C4 paper without studying the topics in depth enough and you won't even be able to do the first question. Depends entirely upon your ability to grasp new concepts and commitment to learning them I guess is what I'm saying.

Thank you for posting.

So I have studied bits of C1 so far and am able to grasp the concepts fairly quickly (although I do have some difficulty with quadratics). When I did C2 though I found it was a little bit tougher but nothing I couldn't handle until I started logarithms. I feel like I am able to do the questions on book because I just sort of follow the 'pattern' of what needs to be changed etc but I understand the question papers are tougher? S1 I have only dabbled with the first 3 chapters which seems fairly easy but I hear the later chapters are really tough? Also are the questions in the past papers different or of the same pattern/question each year?
Reply 5
Generally speaking it's the same pattern of questions every year with the odd twist. I would really recommend doing the Solomon past papers over the exam board ones as they're made to the hardest level which could be set, meaning you can be prepared for the worst.
S1 isn't too bad it's just a bit of a memory game rather than a maths exam. C3 and 4 are very different to core 3 and 4 though. The vast of them is just integrating and differentiating more and more complicated things, but it gets really hard really fast imo.
Original post by Xzerzes
Generally speaking it's the same pattern of questions every year with the odd twist. I would really recommend doing the Solomon past papers over the exam board ones as they're made to the hardest level which could be set, meaning you can be prepared for the worst.
S1 isn't too bad it's just a bit of a memory game rather than a maths exam. C3 and 4 are very different to core 3 and 4 though. The vast of them is just integrating and differentiating more and more complicated things, but it gets really hard really fast imo.

So do you think its possible to do C1,C2,C3,C4 and S1 and M1 in 6 months and get an A? To be honest just typing that out made me realise theres so much what if I get a B I am screwed :redface:

I am also going to have to do the International version which are supposed to be tougher apparently...
Original post by transient life
So do you think its possible to do C1,C2,C3,C4 and S1 and M1 in 6 months and get an A? To be honest just typing that out made me realise theres so much what if I get a B I am screwed :redface:

I am also going to have to do the International version which are supposed to be tougher apparently...

It's possible, but you would need to work very hard and be disciplined. Why can't you complete it over the normal two year period?
Original post by Xzerzes

They're the same modules?? Did you mean C3/4 are very different to C1/2?
Original post by HopelessMedic
It's possible, but you would need to work very hard and be disciplined. Why can't you complete it over the normal two year period?

Because I am planning to apply to university for entry in 2018 so I would have to finish it before I start.

When you say it's possible and i would need to be disciplined do you mean if I am good at math to begin with or enjoy it and study it 10 hours everyday?

I am okay with practicing past papers everyday for the next 6 months but what I am scared about is getting a question I have never seen while doing past papers in the exam and then freezing in the middle. I find that I understand concepts fairly quickly and if its the same pattern of question I can answer the questions but if it's a total new type of question I don't understand what I need to do and get really scared.

What scares me as well is that I don't enjoy math neither do I think im one of those people that are good at it. So if people who consider themselves good at math and actually enjoy it yet get stuck especially on paper C34 how could I ever even do it?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by an_atheist
They're the same modules?? Did you mean C3/4 are very different to C1/2?

Do you mind giving your opinion on the question please? It'll be very helpful.
Do you mind giving your opinion on the question please? It'll be very helpful.

Maths A2 is very different from maths AS, and require you to be pretty well versed on C1/2. The applied modules aren't too bad if you can remember the concepts well, parts of C3 and 4 will pose a challenge as others have already mentioned but on the whole I see no reason you wouldn't be able to self study the whole A Level in a year, it will just be a lot of work.
Original post by an_atheist
Maths A2 is very different from maths AS, and require you to be pretty well versed on C1/2. The applied modules aren't too bad if you can remember the concepts well, parts of C3 and 4 will pose a challenge as others have already mentioned but on the whole I see no reason you wouldn't be able to self study the whole A Level in a year, it will just be a lot of work.

Except it wouldn't be in a year but 6 months (although I wouldn't have any other subjects to do along side it). I must mention as well that my strongest subject isn't math. So what is so challenging about C34? Are the questions always similar to those from previous years or do you get questions which are completely different?

What scares me as well is that there are students who enjoy math and think they're good at it yet struggle and here I am, I dont enjoy math neither am I good at it so I will most definitely not get a good grade isn't it? On top of that they have tutors where as I won't.
Reply 13
If you get good grades in AS, then you won't struggle much in A2. Because the studying methods are the same, and the question structure is identical.
(edited 6 years ago)
Because I am planning to apply to university for entry in 2018 so I would have to finish it before I start.

When you say it's possible and i would need to be disciplined do you mean if I am good at math to begin with or enjoy it and study it 10 hours everyday?

I am okay with practicing past papers everyday for the next 6 months but what I am scared about is getting a question I have never seen while doing past papers in the exam and then freezing in the middle. I find that I understand concepts fairly quickly and if its the same pattern of question I can answer the questions but if it's a total new type of question I don't understand what I need to do and get really scared.

What scares me as well is that I don't enjoy math neither do I think im one of those people that are good at it. So if people who consider themselves good at math and actually enjoy it yet get stuck especially on paper C34 how could I ever even do it?

I didn't see before that you would only be studying maths, in which case you should be fine. 6 months is a lot of time study one A-level, especially maths where little teaching is required and you can go at your own pace.

Set yourself deadlines for when you want to finish each module by and make sue you stick to them, leave 1-2 months before the exams for just past papers and there's no reason why you can't get an A/A*.
Original post by HopelessMedic
I didn't see before that you would only be studying maths, in which case you should be fine. 6 months is a lot of time study one A-level, especially maths where little teaching is required and you can go at your own pace.

Set yourself deadlines for when you want to finish each module by and make sue you stick to them, leave 1-2 months before the exams for just past papers and there's no reason why you can't get an A/A*.

Are you saying that bearing in mind I don't feel very confident with math neither do I think I'm that good at it? :smile: Also why does everyone find C34 so difficult and are the questions each year totally different in the question papers or do all the questions follows same pattern of question from one of the past years papers?
Are you saying that bearing in mind I don't feel very confident with math neither do I think I'm that good at it? :smile: Also why does everyone find C34 so difficult and are the questions each year totally different in the question papers or do all the questions follows same pattern of question from one of the past years papers?

All the papers are the same pretty much, although some are harder than others.

C3 and C4 aren't that hard, you just have to put in a lot of work and some of the stuff takes a while to understand, but once you get it, it really easy to replicate over and over again.
Original post by philipd
All the papers are the same pretty much, although some are harder than others.

C3 and C4 aren't that hard, you just have to put in a lot of work and some of the stuff takes a while to understand, but once you get it, it really easy to replicate over and over again.

So the questions in the question paper does follow similar pattern to previous years?
So the questions in the question paper does follow similar pattern to previous years?

There's no set pattern beyond the harder questions are later on in the paper (generally)

With all due respect you if you aren't good at maths and don't enjoy it why are you even considering taking it? Is it necessary for your course at uni or do you just need to get an A in something?

I still stand by that nearly anyone, irrespective of ability, can do well at A-level maths if you work hard. The content is not difficult and if you do tonnes of past papers ( 20-30 for each module at least) then getting an A should be very doable.

C3&C4 are harder than C1 and C2, but remember they are worth the same UMS. So you could get 100 in C1&2, then 60 in C3&4 and you would still average an A ( provided your applied modules average 80 ofc).

Quick Reply

Latest