Will you be old enough to vote in the general election? Watch

Richard.T
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
If you are old enough to vote, I want to debate with you. I support labour and I can't vote so I want to try and convince you all!
Anonymous #1
Report 2 years ago
I won't be able to in this one, but I will in the next!
Why labour?
Their policies are a train wreck led by a man who seems to live on another planet and doesn't even seem to be able to present himself well. We were always told in school "Dress for success" - was he not taught this?
brainzistheword
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I really wish I was but another year to wait yet!
Anonymous #2
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I won't be able to in this one, but I will in the next!
Why labour?
Their policies are a train wreck led by a man who seems to live on another planet and doesn't even seem to be able to present himself well. We were always told in school "Dress for success" - was he not taught this?
Exactly this. A vote for labour just seems like a waste of a vote.
Pugglet
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
oui, i can vote
Richard.T
Rep:
?
Thank you for commenting, a vote for labour is NOT a wasted vote (even if the right wing propaganda tells you different). I am sick and tired of a conservative government who claims to have a "strong and stable economy" because we do not. Our economic is weak because the conservatives love to tax the poor and feed the rich, our economy is not strong, our NHS is in crisis, our social care is in crisis, our infrastructure is in crisis. This is why labour is not a wasted vote, labour want a future for the MANY not the privileged few. Thank you
username2981082
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Richard.T)
If you are old enough to vote, I want to debate with you. I support labour and I can't vote so I want to try and convince you all!
I am old enough to vote. I voted Labour in the last election because I very much agreed with Miliband's ideology. I would have voted Labour this time if the Remain campaign won. Corbyn does not have it in him to be able to stand up to Europe and get us a good deal. He has established no clear policies for a post-Brexit Britain like the Tories have. His leadership of the Labour Party has been divisive. Ultimately, he does not inspire confidence in the public.
username2965904
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You will not convince me, so spend your time debating with someone else.
Count Bezukhov
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Corbyn is a threat to national security. Not wanting to renew Trident alone is a sufficient reason not to vote for him, but even if Parliament managed to reign him in and retain the nuclear deterrent, previous interviews have called into question whether or not he'd even be prepared to press the button in the event such an action was necessary. This is not someone who is fit to be Prime Minister. Another idiotic idea from Corbyn is a "maximum wage", which will be a deterrent for entrepreneurs and other talented workers, who instead will likely decide to relocate abroad where their earning potential isn't capped. It is self-evident that this will be damaging for British business. Oh well, at least with Corbyn at the helm we'll be good "friends" with lovely organisations such as Hamas and Hezbollah (that is sarcasm, for those who cannot tell - Corbyn's sympathy for terrorist groups is rather alarming).

Sources (since people tend to lack these when making claims in debates)
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.bbc...s/amp/34399565
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.t...ximum-wage-law
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.tel...and-hezbo/amp/
Richard.T
Rep:
?
(Original post by Count Bezukhov)
Corbyn is a threat to national security. Not wanting to renew Trident alone is a sufficient reason not to vote for him, but even if Parliament managed to reign him in and retain the nuclear deterrent, previous interviews have called into question whether or not he'd even be prepared to press the button in the event such an action was necessary. This is not someone who is fit to be Prime Minister. Another idiotic idea from Corbyn is a "maximum wage", which will be a deterrent for entrepreneurs and other talented workers, who instead will likely decide to relocate abroad where their earning potential isn't capped. It is self-evident that this will be damaging for British business. Oh well, at least with Corbyn at the helm we'll be good "friends" with lovely organisations such as Hamas and Hezbollah (that is sarcasm, for those who cannot tell - Corbyn's sympathy for terrorist groups is rather alarming).

Sources (since people tend to lack these when making claims in debates)
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.bbc...s/amp/34399565
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.t...ximum-wage-law
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.tel...and-hezbo/amp/
May I stop you right there Jeremy Corbyn has always stood up for a Trident missile campaign I do not get why the right wing Media make these false stories . Jeremy Corbyn is not a national threat to security he is a saviour that those voices who are not heard on a daily basis he is a Savior to those opinions what I'm not listen to. This is why I'm trying convince you to vote labour. labour is the only party that is real. Labour is the only one for your children and therefore actually stick up for the people in need.
Jackieox
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm old enough to vote but no idea who i'm gonna vote for, tempted to not even vote at all =/
Count Bezukhov
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Richard.T)
May I stop you right there Jeremy Corbyn has always stood up for a Trident missile campaign I do not get why the right wing Media make these false stories . Jeremy Corbyn is not a national threat to security he is a saviour that those voices who are not heard on a daily basis he is a Savior to those opinions what I'm not listen to. This is why I'm trying convince you to vote labour. labour is the only party that is real. Labour is the only one for your children and therefore actually stick up for the people in need.
I'm not pulling these claims out of thin air - I've left sources right there for you to read. The one about Trident is from the BBC, no less, which can hardly be called a 'right wing' outlet. Rather than babbling on about how Corbyn is somehow the next Messiah, why don't you actually put some substance into your arguments? My argument is that Corbyn's refusal to press the nuclear button makes him a national security threat. You evidently disagree. Tell me why you disagree; this is how debates progress.
brittanyindia
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My 18th birthday is two days after the general election!! Two days.

I'd also vote labour if I could. Which I can't. Sigh.
Count Bezukhov
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by brittanyindia)
My 18th birthday is two days after the general election!! Two days.

I'd also vote labour if I could. Which I can't. Sigh.
I was about to say "that's really unfortunate", but then I read the second sentence

Why do you support [Corbyn's] Labour? Just out of interest.
neal95
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
21 and voting conservative
brittanyindia
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I was about to say "that's really unfortunate", but then I read the second sentence

Two main reasons
- I genuinely like Jeremy Corbyn and he's one politician whose ideas and policies I've actually majoritively agreed with
- My area is currently Conservative and the strongest opposition is labour, I genuinely dislike Conservatives

I'd consider myself very left wing and Corbyn is strongly for democracy which I think scares a lot of people though it shouldn't. All politicians to me appear the same, they dress the same, they regurgitate the same slogans, they have the same privileged upbringing and Oxbridge PPE. Corbyn is I guess the most 'normal' and 'relatable' politician to me personally.
Count Bezukhov
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by brittanyindia)
Two main reasons
- I genuinely like Jeremy Corbyn and he's one politician whose ideas and policies I've actually majoritively agreed with
- My area is currently Conservative and the strongest opposition is labour, I genuinely dislike Conservatives

I'd consider myself very left wing and Corbyn is strongly for democracy which I think scares a lot of people though it shouldn't. All politicians to me appear the same, they dress the same, they regurgitate the same slogans, they have the same privileged upbringing and Oxbridge PPE. Corbyn is I guess the most 'normal' and 'relatable' politician to me personally.
Regarding policy, have you read my post further up the thread? I'd be interested to hear what you have to say about those policies. It would be nice to generate some genuine debate

I don't think there are any candidates who aren't "strongly for democracy" as you put it. Historically, the far-left haven't been very democratic at all (just saying ). I agree that it's sad how petty politicians are, as everything tends to devolve into scoring cheap political points against the opposition, but there are equal amounts of this on both sides. I don't doubt Corbyn's sincerity, as he has a strong record of voting in line with his beliefs (often against his own party... ironic how he now demands loyalty from the parliamentary party). But I think his policies will be disastrous for the United Kingdom. Regarding the PPE thing, I think you're approaching this from the wrong direction. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing that a lot of politicians have studied PPE (and similar subjects) from top universities; indeed, we want our politicians to be well educated so that they may be more effective in their role. However, we need to ensure that access to good education is available to everyone, based on merit rather than family background. There has been a lot of progress here, but we still have a bit of a way to go before we live in a real meritocracy. But I digress; Oxbridge PPE isn't the problem. (On a side-note, most PPEists that I've met have also been pretty normal people, although I have only met those from our generation).
Loopy91
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

So, because someone doesn't have the same political opinion as you, it's not unfortunate anymore?
Richard.T
Rep:
?
I'm not pulling these claims out of thin air - I've left sources right there for you to read. The one about Trident is from the BBC, no less, which can hardly be called a 'right wing' outlet. Rather than babbling on about how Corbyn is somehow the next Messiah, why don't you actually put some substance into your arguments? My argument is that Corbyn's refusal to press the nuclear button makes him a national security threat. You evidently disagree. Tell me why you disagree; this is how debates progress.
Quoting from your extract, I am "blabbering on." i'm not just blabbering on I am speaking for those voices who in which are not heard. I am speaking just like the Labour Party would. You moan that I don't give you facts I will give them to you, the National Health Service is underfunded social care for the people who need it the most is underfunded, the Division between the rich and the poor widened, investment in infrastructure downgraded, taxing the Lowest of Society feeding the highest of society, making a hard brexit, creating an underfunded educational service, the introduction of grammar schools to help widen the division between the rich and the poor, An increase in homelessness in the United Kingdom right now and today making enemies with the EU leaders the leaders that we had to negotiate with the leaders that we need to get the best deal for the UK with. You moan about me not giving you facts, Labour Party speaks volumes you just speak a load of rubbish. Everybody if you are able to vote, please vote for the only party that stands up for the only party, that stands up for tuition fees that is the Labour Party and that it's a party I would have voted for if I was 18 years of age.
Count Bezukhov
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Loopy91)
So, because someone doesn't have the same political opinion as you, it's not unfortunate anymore?
It was supposed to be taken in jest...

It won't really matter either way though, since Labour are going to be slaughtered in June.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (128)
27.71%
1 (69)
14.94%
2 (71)
15.37%
3 (74)
16.02%
4 (37)
8.01%
5 (30)
6.49%