Effective ways of studying - Need grades Watch

Gqze
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I know there are many threads regarding the matter which I'm presenting at-hand, however, I want to see if anyone has gone through the same troubles as me. I used to be an A*/A student in all subjects prior to Year 10. When the time came to sit end of year practice examination in Year 10 my grades dropped drastically, I had only 1 A in English and the rest B's. I was upset at the time but I thought it was just due to little revision, however, come Year 11 mocks I went down to B's and a C regardless of the amount of revision I did.

I've recently sit Chemistry ALT, Chemistry MC and English Lit. I hope I've done well in them but I don't really see me getting good marks on any of them so I'm asking if anyone has some effective revision methods. I've also made a list of the grades I'm trying to achieve:

Chemistry: A
Biology: A
Physics: A
Maths: A
English: A/B
History: B (Would love an A but I don't understand how to achieve high marks)
Geography: B (Could get an A but I really have no motivation)
IT: B (I know I'll never get an A despite being the most knowledgeable person in my year as the paper caters towards people who don't grasp it).

I'd also like to take into account that I also need effective revision methods for someone who has high dyslexia and eidetic memory. I've done 5 past-papers in the recent weeks for Chemistry although I feel as if this wasn't enough.

I'm open to all suggestions, my next exam is Physics MC and ALT in 6 days.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Gqze)
I know there are many threads regarding the matter which I'm presenting at-hand, however, I want to see if anyone has gone through the same troubles as me. I used to be an A*/A student in all subjects prior to Year 10. When the time came to sit end of year practice examination in Year 10 my grades dropped drastically, I had only 1 A in English and the rest B's. I was upset at the time but I thought it was just due to little revision, however, come Year 11 mocks I went down to B's and a C regardless of the amount of revision I did.

I've recently sit Chemistry ALT, Chemistry MC and English Lit. I hope I've done well in them but I don't really see me getting good marks on any of them so I'm asking if anyone has some effective revision methods. I've also made a list of the grades I'm trying to achieve:

Chemistry: A
Biology: A
Physics: A
Maths: A
English: A/B
History: B (Would love an A but I don't understand how to achieve high marks)
Geography: B (Could get an A but I really have no motivation)
IT: B (I know I'll never get an A despite being the most knowledgeable person in my year as the paper caters towards people who don't grasp it).

I'd also like to take into account that I also need effective revision methods for someone who has high dyslexia and eidetic memory. I've done 5 past-papers in the recent weeks for Chemistry although I feel as if this wasn't enough.

I'm open to all suggestions, my next exam is Physics MC and ALT in 6 days.
With an eidetic memory, i presume you're long term memory is brilliant but your dyslexia is affecting your short term memory? As a dyslexic myself flashcards are own of the few revision methods which has been quite successful for me especially electronic ones with being dyspraxic too
username2427341
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi, I don't have dyslexia, but I do have learning difficulties and a really bad memory. I would suggest you use flashcards as you can use them on the go wherever you are and also there are many apps like Quizlet that provide ready made flashcards so you don't have to carry them around and just keep doing them. Do all the past papers available. They're a gift. After you do a paper and track your grade and try to work out if your grades are consistent, low or are improving. This is something I would do so I would really recommend it and also, do t let your mock grades let you down! You can always do well because you've got time. Your mock grades might have not gone well because of a number of factors and anyways they're meant to motivate you to do well. Goodluck for your exams! My first exam is on the 15th

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gqze
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
With an eidetic memory, i presume you're long term memory is brilliant but your dyslexia is affecting your short term memory? As a dyslexic myself flashcards are own of the few revision methods which has been quite successful for me especially electronic ones with being dyspraxic too
Cheers for the reply, you got it spot on. I've started using flashcards for Chemistry and they work surprisingly well. I have my next batch of exams on the 11th (Physics) so I'l start using your suggestion.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Gqze)
Cheers for the reply, you got it spot on. I've started using flashcards for Chemistry and they work surprisingly well. I have my next batch of exams on the 11th (Physics) so I'l start using your suggestion.
flashcards do certainly force the info into your long term memory, you just have to use them at the right time gap between them. I know using colour can work for some dyslexic people, doesnt work for me but if you know your visual memory is strong you can try that.
Gqze
Rep:
?
(Original post by *Alisha*)
Hi, I don't have dyslexia, but I do have learning difficulties and a really bad memory. I would suggest you use flashcards as you can use them on the go wherever you are and also there are many apps like Quizlet that provide ready made flashcards so you don't have to carry them around and just keep doing them. Do all the past papers available. They're a gift. After you do a paper and track your grade and try to work out if your grades are consistent, low or are improving. This is something I would do so I would really recommend it and also, do t let your mock grades let you down! You can always do well because you've got time. Your mock grades might have not gone well because of a number of factors and anyways they're meant to motivate you to do well. Goodluck for your exams! My first exam is on the 15th

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've been doing a couple of past-papers for both Chemistry exams which have certainly helped as some questions are repeated, easy marks. I've been recommended flashcards already and they're working great. Cheers for the reply and good luck to your exams as well.
username2427341
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Gqze)
I've been doing a couple of past-papers for both Chemistry exams which have certainly helped as some questions are repeated, easy marks. I've been recommended flashcards already and they're working great. Cheers for the reply and good luck to your exams as well.
Goodluck to you to👍🏼
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (109)
17.87%
It's just nice to be back! (166)
27.21%
Not great so far... (218)
35.74%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.18%

Watched Threads