The Student Room Group

How did you pick your undergraduate major?

Hi guys, just wondering about it. And do you have any regret?
I talked with a Italian guy, who is studying medicine and he said "I regret it and most of my friends did it too." So I'm curious about you all.

Thanks x
Original post by akashabjw
I talked with a Italian guy, who is studying medicine and he said "I regret it and most of my friends did it too." So I'm curious about you all.

Thanks x

I would have liked to study music but was too crap at the time and though I had an interest in philosophy and classics, I also wanted to get a job at the end of my degree. That made me decide upon Natural Sciences. I didn't get the requisite grades for that programme so I considered the two sciences I was most interested in - Biology and Chemistry - and thought about the pros and cons of studying both.

Ultimately, I decided that I preferred Biology and would prefer to learn Chemistry in my spare time rather than the reverse so now I study Biological Sciences (Biochemistry).
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by akashabjw

Thanks x

I went off where my strongest grades were/which subject I preferred at A Level, so I decided on Ethics, Philosophy and Religion. I think choosing it by preference backfired slightly as I've come to realise I more enjoyed it in comparison to what else I was taking, doing it full time I've realised I don't care for it quite as much as I thought I did. I do have regrets as while there are some elements I really enjoy, there's also a lot I don't enjoy. If I could choose again I'd maybe choose history as that's something I enjoy in my spare time though if I studied it I may not enjoy it as much.
I picked something that interested me. Bad decision.
It's kinda funny from the age of 5 till like 17 I thought that I wanted to be a vet and go to veterinary school because I love animals and want to help them etc etc. I did some work experience to build up my applications but like the year before applications I realized that I don't like veterinary science. I like most sciences but veterinary science isn't the one that I read about or study in my spare time at all. I realized that I love psychology. So applied to psychology courses instead. I'm very happy with my choice!! No regrets at all.
I really liked Biology in school, and I was interested in all kinds of life sciences courses, medicine, biomed, etc. I went for Biology because I didn't think I'd be able to make a competitive medicine application, and most bio degrees are very broad and I was interested in lots of different topics.

I really enjoyed my degree, but it didn't leave me with much direction, and sometimes I wonder if I'd be in a better position by having not been so wrapped up into wanting to study at Oxford and had applied to a more vocational course like pharmacy. Doing a master's now has definitely helped I think, in terms of figuring out what I want to do and building some specific skills, but it's a luxury that's not possible for everyone, and it's a little scary to be nearly 24 and not began a 'career' yet when all my friends have already.
I originally applied to study English Lit and Classics after seeing a BBC4 docu about classical civilization and a particular uni was thanks for its participation and I was like "damn I wanna study there and study that!"

About 6 months later, I realised a history based degree (after dropping AS History) was a bad move and changed uni to read Literature and Philosophy having missed A-level Philosophy.

I sometimes wonder if I would have had a happier experience (thus far) if I went to a different uni.. probably. But, I am happy for the friends I made here. But I think I do know things would have played out differently.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending