I'm 16 - Can I Sign Up To Paypal? + Info Needed Watch

The Stig
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I'm 16 and I have a debit card. I want to sign upto Paypal - Is it possible to do so even though I'm not 18. Will paypal figure it out and not allow me? Or do I just lie about dob?

Anyone here under 18 and have a Paypal account?

Also how does it work? Is it direct from your debit card or do you load money onto the paypal account from your debit?

Cheers.
dh00001
Badges: 14
Report 12 years ago
IIRC you can go direct or you can fund it, you can select.
but you should be 18 as you need a way to confirm it. well you did when i signed up
Sephirona
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
So is that a yes or a no, cos I"m wondering as well.
Cortez
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by The Stig)
I'm 16 and I have a debit card. I want to sign upto Paypal - Is it possible to do so even though I'm not 18. Will paypal figure it out and not allow me? Or do I just lie about dob?

Anyone here under 18 and have a Paypal account?

Also how does it work? Is it direct from your debit card or do you load money onto the paypal account from your debit?

Cheers.
I was using it when I was 15 and never had any problems so just go ahead and make it up.
Cortez
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
What on earth for?
Last edited by RK; 9 months ago
anderue
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I've had my real DOB on paypal since I was 15 and I haven't had any problems. If you enter a fake DOB your card may not validate so the account would be useless.
Cortez
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Certain company being paypal?

Do you really think the browse the net looking for people who admit to using it under age so they can de-activate their accounts? In all honesty I really don't think they care ... more people using it = more money for them.

Edit: I actually have my real DOB in too (I assumed I had made it up before) and as said earlier I've been using it way before 18
brimstone
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I had one aged 16 with a Solo debit card.
davidjones90
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I was using it since 13 with good old natwest card...I was trading quite heavily and received fake payment from someone with a limited the account, inside was over £2.5k, which paypal reversed from my bank. They wanted ID, obviously had non, so I had to wait for 6 months for them to be convinced it is genuine funds.

So yes you can no problems, just don't run yourself into trouble.
Zen90
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm 16 and have used paypal for about 4 months now, got a halifax visa-electron card, setted up an E-Bay account too, (using my debit card to pay with paypal - or something like that ).
DOnt think i made an account on paypal.com though, think i wanted to buy something from a website which took payment from paypal, which gave me a link to create a paypal account, and i dont think it asked for my DOB
paperclip
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i've been buying and selling on ebay via paypal since i was 15, real DOB and all
they dont care
only bit you need to lie on is when your making your ebay account
Sephirona
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm new to the whole internet shopping.
I have a Smart Card from Nationwide, is that good enough to make a paypal account with? Also: Will my money be 100% safe if I use it online? Because I always hear about people that loose their money because of online transaction.
Cortez
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Sephirona)
I'm new to the whole internet shopping.
I have a Smart Card from Nationwide, is that good enough to make a paypal account with? Also: Will my money be 100% safe if I use it online? Because I always hear about people that loose their money because of online transaction.
Natiowide just do savings accounts right? If so I wouldn't have thought that card will be any good, sounds like a cash point card or something to me.

You'll need a debit or credit card.
Sephirona
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Cortez)
Natiowide just do savings accounts right? If so I wouldn't have thought that card will be any good, sounds like a cash point card or something to me.

You'll need a debit or credit card.
But that was the only card for my age.
Cortez
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Sephirona)
But that was the only card for my age.
Well if it's a savings account you wont get a debit or credit card how ever old you are (unless I'm seriously mis-informed..).

Current accounts come with debit cards.
The Stig
Rep:
?
I don't want to have direct access to all the money on my debit card from my paypal account. Is it possible to only load e.g £100 on my paypal?

Cheers
Cortez
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I don't want to have direct access to all the money on my debit card from my paypal account. Is it possible to only load e.g £100 on my paypal?

Cheers
Yeah you can send £100 from your debit card to your PayPal account if you really want to but I don't know why you would want to ... if your account gets frozen for any reason then you will most likely never see the money again.

The best way to use PayPal is leave your account empty and when you buy something using PayPal you just fund the purchase with your card ... it takes the money from your card and sends it to the recipient.

Plus you probably get interest when the money is in your bank. Having £100 sitting in PayPal is losing you money (maybe not much but that's not the point!).
The Stig
Rep:
?
Yeah you can send £100 from your debit card to your PayPal account if you really want to but I don't know why you would want to ... if your account gets frozen for any reason then you will most likely never see the money again.

The best way to use PayPal is leave your account empty and when you buy something using PayPal you just fund the purchase with your card ... it takes the money from your card and sends it to the recipient.

Plus you probably get interest when the money is in your bank. Having £100 sitting in PayPal is losing you money (maybe not much but that's not the point!).
Oh right, I see. Thanks. I was just catious as if it's direct transactions from my debit card and somehow they take too much money out i'm screwed. Were as if it's only a certain amount in the paypal account, if somehow there is an error and I get overcharged for something I won't lose too much money.

But I guess stuff like this doesn't happen often?
Cortez
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Oh right, I see. Thanks. I was just catious as if it's direct transactions from my debit card and somehow they take too much money out i'm screwed. Were as if it's only a certain amount in the paypal account, if somehow there is an error and I get overcharged for something I won't lose too much money.

But I guess stuff like this doesn't happen often?
I can't say I've ever heard of someone getting charged more than what is on the PayPal invoice thing. PayPal has been around a long time and bugs like that would have been gotten rid of ages ago :p:

Say you buy something on eBay and pay with PayPal you click the link to pay and it'll take you to PayPal. You log in to your PayPal account and then you get an invoice like thing ... says what you bought, how much it was, how much delivery was, etc ... the total figure is what you will get charged. Nothing more!
The Stig
Rep:
?
I can't say I've ever heard of someone getting charged more than what is on the PayPal invoice thing. PayPal has been around a long time and bugs like that would have been gotten rid of ages ago :p:

Say you buy something on eBay and pay with PayPal you click the link to pay and it'll take you to PayPal. You log in to your PayPal account and then you get an invoice like thing ... says what you bought, how much it was, how much delivery was, etc ... the total figure is what you will get charged. Nothing more!
Oh right, thanks for the help I would rep, but you've disabled it.

I'm going to try signing up in a bit, if it works i'll probably get a subscription on here to see how it paypal works lol :p:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (273)
60.94%
Yes- I don't like it (22)
4.91%
No- I want it (120)
26.79%
No- I don't want it (33)
7.37%

Watched Threads