MSc Economics: Manchester, Glasgow, Nottingham, Tilburg or Radboud? Watch

pph
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey, guys!

I'm deciding the university to do my MSc and I'd like some help from you.
I'm from Brazil, and I'm finishing my arrangements to start an MSc in Uk or Netherlands in September/2017. I have offers from:

University of Manchester: MSc Economics;
University of Glasgow: MSc Financial Economics;
Tilburg University: MSc Economics;
Radboud University: MSc Economics.
Also, I am still waiting for the decision of the University of Nottingham for the MSc Economics.

I want to focus my studies on finance and/or macroeconomic policy. I am already working in the government sector with fiscal policy and finance of infrastructure projects. After the MSc, I'd probably return to Brazil, but in a few years, I'd like to try a position on an IO like World Bank or IDB.
If I decide to go to the UK I would go self-funded. To Netherlands, I am still waiting for the result of a scholarship process, so I would go self-funded or with the scholarship.
Finally, I am going with my wife and it would be good if she could find some job during our stay in Europe (not only for financial issues but also to occupy herself in something and not going mad).

Considering everything above, what do you guys think would be the best university to do my MSc? I know that, in terms of ranking position, Tilburg would be the best shot. But would be awesome spending a year in the UK as there I'd do my MSc from a respected Uni and also improve my English. For this, I am considering to accept the offer from Manchester. Also, I think that, as Manchester is a big city, the opposite of Tilburg, there would be easy to my wife get a job.

I'd be glad if you could give me your considerations.
jpt4749
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The best universities for Economics are
1. [Oxbridge LSE UCL Warwick]
2. [Durham Bristol Nottingham St.Andrews Bath Edinburgh Manchester]
3. [Leeds Exeter Birmingham Glasgow] a bit behind

So of your list definitely choose Nottingham if you get accepted. If I'm not mistaken Manchester and Glasgow are rather reputable in Business instead.

Also your profile looks fascinating so I suggest you apply to something like Warwick UCL or LSE as well ^_^
pph
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sammy2534)
The best universities for Economics are
1. [Oxbridge LSE UCL Warwick]
2. [Durham Bristol Nottingham St.Andrews Bath Edinburgh Manchester]
3. [Leeds Exeter Birmingham Glasgow] a bit behind

So of your list definitely choose Nottingham if you get accepted. If I'm not mistaken Manchester and Glasgow are rather reputable in Business instead.

Also your profile looks fascinating so I suggest you apply to something like Warwick UCL or LSE as well ^_^
Sammy, many thanks for your reply.

I'd love to go to the universities of your listed group 1, but I think I have two limitations:

First, the price of the courses, that are much higher than the ones from the groups 2 or 3, and as I am going self-funded, and my savings are in BRL...

Second, and more important, I really appreciate your compliment about my profile (thanks!), but I don't think it is as good as they require. I have a good professional background and quite good reference letters, but only a 2:1 or 2:2 (depends on the conversion system) bachelors. In fact, I also applied to Bristol, York and Edinburg, and got rejected because of this flaw.

I have not yet received the decision from Nottingham. I sent an e-mail asking about it, and they said that they are finishing the analysis. It has been 2 months since my application. Anyway, I am considering going to Manchester. It seems to be a better city than Nottingham to live, and it is still a well-respected University, from what I've read.
.ACS.
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by pph)
Hey, guys!

I'm deciding the university to do my MSc and I'd like some help from you.
I'm from Brazil, and I'm finishing my arrangements to start an MSc in Uk or Netherlands in September/2017. I have offers from:

University of Manchester: MSc Economics;
University of Glasgow: MSc Financial Economics;
Tilburg University: MSc Economics;
Radboud University: MSc Economics.
Also, I am still waiting for the decision of the University of Nottingham for the MSc Economics.

I want to focus my studies on finance and/or macroeconomic policy. I am already working in the government sector with fiscal policy and finance of infrastructure projects. After the MSc, I'd probably return to Brazil, but in a few years, I'd like to try a position on an IO like World Bank or IDB.
If I decide to go to the UK I would go self-funded. To Netherlands, I am still waiting for the result of a scholarship process, so I would go self-funded or with the scholarship.
Finally, I am going with my wife and it would be good if she could find some job during our stay in Europe (not only for financial issues but also to occupy herself in something and not going mad).

Considering everything above, what do you guys think would be the best university to do my MSc? I know that, in terms of ranking position, Tilburg would be the best shot. But would be awesome spending a year in the UK as there I'd do my MSc from a respected Uni and also improve my English. For this, I am considering to accept the offer from Manchester. Also, I think that, as Manchester is a big city, the opposite of Tilburg, there would be easy to my wife get a job.

I'd be glad if you could give me your considerations.
As you say, Tilburg is clearly the far better university in your list. The second, without a doubt, would be Manchester.

You have to view your MSc as an investment, especially given it is self-funded. The investment will comprise two parts, the return from your actual MSc and the network you build, as well as the improvement of English/language skills you develop, assisting you with your future career. But then also, there is the social aspect and the fact you and your wife will be there for a full year.

With regard to your wife finding a job, Tilburg is only an hour from Rotterdam, and hour from Utrecht, and an hour from Antwerp, and she could easily find a job in one of those cities. Ultimately it depends on what she wants to do for work and how far she is willing to commute.

It's tough. I think overall, given your career aspirations, Tilburg does strictly dominate Manchester, as I'm not sure how many people, if any, from Manchester go into the World Bank, IMF, investment banking, etc. Whereas it has happened from Tilburg and there are links there. But likewise, I fully appreciate the appeal that Manchester has as a city and lifestyle choice.
jpt4749
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by pph)
Sammy, many thanks for your reply.

I'd love to go to the universities of your listed group 1, but I think I have two limitations:

First, the price of the courses, that are much higher than the ones from the groups 2 or 3, and as I am going self-funded, and my savings are in BRL...

Second, and more important, I really appreciate your compliment about my profile (thanks!), but I don't think it is as good as they require. I have a good professional background and quite good reference letters, but only a 2:1 or 2:2 (depends on the conversion system) bachelors. In fact, I also applied to Bristol, York and Edinburg, and got rejected because of this flaw.

I have not yet received the decision from Nottingham. I sent an e-mail asking about it, and they said that they are finishing the analysis. It has been 2 months since my application. Anyway, I am considering going to Manchester. It seems to be a better city than Nottingham to live, and it is still a well-respected University, from what I've read.
Hello my friend ^_^

I understand your point but believe it or not everything in the world is uncertain. I got rejected by Warwick and UCL and KCL before getting offers from LSE as they tend to focus on overall grade as a whole rather than delicate component like LSE did. Thus don't worry about Bristol York Edinburgh as they haven't seen your genuine intelligence.

In that case I suggest you wait a little until Nottingham gets back to you or you can still apply to those in the group 1 and show your strength to them. I'm pretty sure some of them (and Nottingham of course) will accept you as you've already got accepted by Manchester which has an outstanding and 5-star business school.

All the best with your application and study in the UK and feel free to message me if you need help. I've done Economics during my undergraduate degree in Australia and now I'm slightly shift my field to Management at LSE ^_^
pph
Rep:
?
Sammy2534 and .ACS., many thanks to all yours considerations.

After thinking a lot, I decided to go to Manchester. I seemed to me that there I will have the best overall city and university experiences.
Unfortunately, after the acceptation of Manchester's offer, payment of the first part of the tuition and emission of the CAS, I received the offer from Nottingham - they took almost 4 months to give me the final answer. I really thought they had lost my application. Now it is too late for me to change plans and go there

Anyway, next September I am going to start my MSc in Manchester and I think it will be a very good experience.

Sammy, I wish all the best for your MSc at LSE. It's a world-class institution. Congratulations! Enjoy and get the best of it.
jpt4749
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by pph)
Sammy2534 and .ACS., many thanks to all yours considerations.

After thinking a lot, I decided to go to Manchester. I seemed to me that there I will have the best overall city and university experiences.
Unfortunately, after the acceptation of Manchester's offer, payment of the first part of the tuition and emission of the CAS, I received the offer from Nottingham - they took almost 4 months to give me the final answer. I really thought they had lost my application. Now it is too late for me to change plans and go there

Anyway, next September I am going to start my MSc in Manchester and I think it will be a very good experience.

Sammy, I wish all the best for your MSc at LSE. It's a world-class institution. Congratulations! Enjoy and get the best of it.

Thanks a lot for your kind encouragement ^_^

I'm pretty sure you'll love Manchester as it's ranked very high worldwide so you will definitely have a great prospect upon graduation. I also wish you a wonderful time of your study at Manchester and look forward to connect with you sometime in the future ^_^
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • Middlesex University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (165)
18.46%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (91)
10.18%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.55%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (131)
14.65%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.51%
How can I be the best version of myself? (274)
30.65%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed