killerjayko
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So im in my first year of college currently and next year im going to have the option of doing an EPQ so i was thinking about some topics i can do that are physics related or just something im interested in and i came up with a few ideas that i think i could of (havent thought of titles yet)

My Ideas:
Something to do with time travel
Nuclear physics
Comics

One of the favourite ideas that i came up with was to do an essay about the physics of the flash, meaning that i'd use scientific equations etc and apply them to the flash, the moves he uses etc to see how powerful he would be in a realistic battle, and compare him against say someone like superman however im not sure if that would be allowed as i havent had the meeting yet and im not entirely sure on the rules of an EPQ, does it have to be entirely non-fiction, or can it be a little bit fictional like the idea i just proposed

Thanks
p.s. im also open to any other suggestions for ideas
AlphaWolfZ
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by killerjayko)
So I'm in my first year of college currently and next year I'm going to have the option of doing an EPQ so I was thinking about some topics I can do that are physics related or just something I'm interested in and I came up with a few ideas that I think I could of (haven't thought of titles yet) My Ideas: Something to do with time travel Nuclear physics Comics One of the favourite ideas that I came up with was to do an essay about the physics of the flash, meaning that I'd use scientific equations etc and apply them to the flash, the moves he uses etc to see how powerful he would be in a realistic battle, and compare him against say someone like superman, however, I'm not sure if that would be allowed as I haven't had the meeting yet and I'm not entirely sure on the rules of an EPQ, does it have to be entirely non-fiction, or can it be a little bit fictional like the idea I just proposed Thanks p.s. I'm also open to any other suggestions for ideas

The beauty of an EPQ is that you could make it about anything really. I know a few students who did short prose style text. Now, this idea seems interesting, applying physics to pop culture and I'm sure you'll really enjoy the process.

A slight issue of concerns is that will you be able to research that for 40-60 hours or does it require much much less. A fundamental aspect of an EPQ needs to research using a variety of different results. For example in my EPQ, which was about the ethicality of facial transplantations, I did the more conventional research of research journals and books, but then I conducted interviews with both surgeons and face transplant recipients. Do you think you can achieve a similar depth with your EPQ title. How many hours would it take to get a fundamental understanding of the research principles and then apply them.

Another important factor is the logbook, the essay isn't really the greatest thing ever, the logbook has a major weight. For that reason I only managed to get a high A instead of an A*, those marks lost where from the logbook. So remember, the journey is more important than the final product in this case. So make sure you are REALLY interested in this topic. It seems quite interesting so do post your results if you do manage to explore it, we're waiting. Good luck and if you have any further questions, just hammer away

P.S. I would advise you to pop at the Film Theorists Channel to get some ideas. They do a similar thing by applying science to pop culture and go to quite some depth. I'm sure that'll help you loads
_Hafsa
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by AlphaWolfZ)
The beauty of an EPQ is that you could make it about anything really. I know a few students who did short prose style text. Now, this idea seems interesting, applying physics to pop culture and I'm sure you'll really enjoy the process.

A slight issue of concerns is that will you be able to research that for 40-60 hours or does it require much much less. A fundamental aspect of an EPQ needs to research using a variety of different results. For example in my EPQ, which was about the ethicality of facial transplantations, I did the more conventional research of research journals and books, but then I conducted interviews with both surgeons and face transplant recipients. Do you think you can achieve a similar depth with your EPQ title. How many hours would it take to get a fundamental understanding of the research principles and then apply them.

Another important factor is the logbook, the essay isn't really the greatest thing ever, the logbook has a major weight. For that reason I only managed to get a high A instead of an A*, those marks lost where from the logbook. So remember, the journey is more important than the final product in this case. So make sure you are REALLY interested in this topic. It seems quite interesting so do post your results if you do manage to explore it, we're waiting. Good luck and if you have any further questions, just hammer away

P.S. I would advise you to pop at the Film Theorists Channel to get some ideas. They do a similar thing by applying science to pop culture and go to quite some depth. I'm sure that'll help you loads
Hi.
I'm sorry to kind of steal the spotlight from OP. I'm also in first year, and hoping to do my EPQ over the summer so it doesn't take up my time once I start year 13 and exams are around the corner. My school seems to be lacking in giving me all the information I need early. I was hoping you could help me with that. So I do already have a question/ topic areas in my mind, as I hope to study Law in Uni these are my ideas;

What would the world be without Law? Why does Law exist? Does Law and Order effectively control the people? Does Law protect citizens or restrict them?
Does the legal system work for those from low income background? Basics of how law works, the legal system etc. Is racial and social inequality a influential factor in the legal system? Is the legal system faulty or the lack of diversity within the legal system a reason?

Sorry for the long winded question, but I'm just so eager to start. I know I need a diary to log everything I do, but what else do I need to know? Where do I start?
Thank you
killerjayko
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Well i watch a lot of vsauce and science channels as well as film theory, game theory and nerdst so thats sort of where the inspiation for the idea came from to begin with. Sorry but whats the log book so far all ive heard about is the actual essay or final piece, also does it HAVE to be 40-60 hours of research? What if say i have enough research to write an in depth evaluation etc after a much shorter period of time, will that greatly affect the result? Because theres not much research that can be done other than youtube videos, reading comics and researching theoretical physics
AlphaWolfZ
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by _Hafsa)
Hi.
I'm sorry to kind of steal the spotlight from OP. I'm also in first year, and hoping to do my EPQ over the summer so it doesn't take up my time once I start year 13 and exams are around the corner. My school seems to be lacking in giving me all the information I need early. I was hoping you could help me with that. So I do already have a question/ topic areas in my mind, as I hope to study Law in Uni these are my ideas;

What would the world be without Law? Why does Law exist? Does Law and Order effectively control the people? Does Law protect citizens or restrict them?
Does the legal system work for those from low income background? Basics of how law works, the legal system etc. Is racial and social inequality a influential factor in the legal system? Is the legal system faulty or the lack of diversity within the legal system a reason?

Sorry for the long winded question, but I'm just so eager to start. I know I need a diary to log everything I do, but what else do I need to know? Where do I start?
Thank you
I personally have no idea how things work in other schools, but the first step is to determine a working title. This would change over time and will evolve as your research continues. It is something you will reflect in your diary/logbook. However, one important thing is to make it as concise as an example. In my case, my first title was simply "determine the ethicality of facial transplantation". However, after my first meeting with my supervisor, I was told this was too broad of a topic and that would require much over 20K words to write about. My final title was "to what extent are facial transplantations justifiable in accordance to Beauchamp and Childress's biomedical ethics framework?". This is an example of the concise nature a title needs to be and your supervisor should inform you in your meetings.

So first step is to determine a topic, which I see you did. Do some quick research to see I will you still be interested in this topic after 40-60 hours of research. Keep going concise as possible and take it from there. Good luck
AlphaWolfZ
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by killerjayko)
Well i watch a lot of vsauce and science channels as well as film theory, game theory and nerdst so thats sort of where the inspiation for the idea came from to begin with. Sorry but whats the log book so far all ive heard about is the actual essay or final piece, also does it HAVE to be 40-60 hours of research? What if say i have enough research to write an in depth evaluation etc after a much shorter period of time, will that greatly affect the result? Because there's not much research that can be done other than youtube videos, reading comics and researching theoretical physics
This is exactly what I mean about the depth of research. I believe it is required to prove that you have completed about 40 hours worth of research. Your supervisor will need to see proof of work that you have studied the required amount of hours needed per step in your process. Now there are two things you need to accomplish by the end of your EPQ process. An essay which is crucial but not the main source of marks. The main bulk of your marks will be from the logbook/diary. Whilst I had a kickass essay and one of the best essays in school, I kind of slacked in the blog book and now I'm left with just a high A, note no A*. The EPQ is your way of determining your "journey" rather than just a final product. So with all these factors, I really feel that your idea, whilst fascinating, lacks the depth required for an EPQ.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (129)
18.12%
It's just nice to be back! (194)
27.25%
Not great so far... (255)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (134)
18.82%

Watched Threads