The Student Room Group

Any Mature Gamers (18+) interested in childish games

I've noticed a trend in gaming sites where reviewers keep on raving about kids games. The latest one ive noticed is lego city undercover, which Ill admit looks interesting (like GTA / Saints Row but with lego and you play as a cop instead of a crook).

this got me thinking, anyone else 18+ like childish games

Spoiler

Most child games are boring, only some like pokemon are fun sometimes.
I've been considering buying the Pajama Sam series of games after watching PBG review the first one on Youtube. The humour appeals to me, and I like point and click adventure games anyway.
Yes my ex played a lot of childish games.
Original post by quasa
I've noticed a trend in gaming sites where reviewers keep on raving about kids games. The latest one ive noticed is lego city undercover, which Ill admit looks interesting (like GTA / Saints Row but with lego and you play as a cop instead of a crook).

Spoiler

Does Rayman Legends/Origins count?
Original post by Fermion.
Yes my ex played a lot of childish games.

It took me a worryingly long time to get that, I was fully ready to ask you for examples of games.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Does Rayman Legends/Origins count?

I guess it does
Reply 7
Original post by quasa

Spoiler

Sometimes I do play them. Usually when it's the return of a franchise from back in the day, such as 2D Castlevania, Sonic, Mario Bros, etc. I still play the originals every so often. Colour me uninterested for the just hatched Yooka Laylee... despite the involvment of some ex-Rare developers. I was mildly interested in playing the new Parappa until I discovered it's only a high-def remaster of the original game.

Most kids games are unplayable money spinners and always were, but some kids games are genuinely well made. Often those that are standalone and not connected to any established franchise.
Many of these web critics are in their 30s and 40s who grew up in a time when gaming was colourful and largely aimed at children. They play something like LittleBigPlanet or Rayman and think ah, proper game this takes me back.
I used to play childish games. However, I can't now that I have played 18+ games that have really good storylines, e.g. The Last Of Us, Life Is Strange etc. Children's games just feel simplistic and I find that I can't enjoy them. I don't play any Nintendo games now because they don't have games that pack an emotional punch like The Last Of Us. Nor do they challenge me like Bloodborne and Dark Souls.
I'm 17 but yeah nintendo games are great even though they are "for children". Like yeah sure the japanese people wrecking you in splatoon are kids. Not every game has to be edgy or have some mediocre tv show/bad movie tier story line. I am a big fan of the souls games too and I do like a handful of jrpgs but they are more for teenagers and yeah jrpg storylines are just mediocre anime XD.
Original post by noggins
Sometimes I do play them. Usually when it's the return of a franchise from back in the day, such as 2D Castlevania, Sonic, Mario Bros, etc. I still play the originals every so often. Colour me uninterested for the just hatched Yooka Laylee... despite the involvment of some ex-Rare developers. I was mildly interested in playing the new Parappa until I discovered it's only a high-def remaster of the original game.

Most kids games are unplayable money spinners and always were, but some kids games are genuinely well made. Often those that are standalone and not connected to any established franchise.
Many of these web critics are in their 30s and 40s who grew up in a time when gaming was colourful and largely aimed at children. They play something like LittleBigPlanet or Rayman and think ah, proper game this takes me back.

Original post by black1blade
I'm 17 but yeah nintendo games are great even though they are "for children". Like yeah sure the japanese people wrecking you in splatoon are kids. Not every game has to be edgy or have some mediocre tv show/bad movie tier story line. I am a big fan of the souls games too and I do like a handful of jrpgs but they are more for teenagers and yeah jrpg storylines are just mediocre anime XD.

even though I havent played it, ive always been fascinated with splatoon. to me, they could really make it a vr / ar app for multiple devices and rake in the money
VR seems to have kinda died down recently although third person shooter in vr sounds like ultimate vom inducer. Also yeah nintendo keeps things exclusive on their platforms as they make loads of money from people having to buy the consoles.
I liked Keeper of the Grove and found the music and the cartoon graphics very apt.

The game is pretty cool and hard to get perfect scores.

Free as well

http://armorgames.com/play/13271/keeper-of-the-grove
VR seems to have kinda died down recently although third person shooter in vr sounds like ultimate vom inducer. Also yeah nintendo keeps things exclusive on their platforms as they make loads of money from people having to buy the consoles.

speaking of nintendo consoles, the new 2ds xl looks nice (shame I wont be spending money on it but still)
Reply 14
i sometimes play mario bros on the ds when i'm bored
Original post by quasa
speaking of nintendo consoles, the new 2ds xl looks nice (shame I wont be spending money on it but still)

Yeah don't really know who's it aimed at. I imagine most people who wanted a 3ds already have one. 3ds does have a pretty great library although shame games are way too expensive for what they are.
I still play the odd childish game. Mostly retro simple stuff.

I tried to get back into Pokemon but just couldn't get on with it. Enjoyed pokemon go though. Added a bit of fun to jogging.

BUT I also tried something called "Yo-Kai Watch." Picked it up on the cheap and really enjoyed it.
Yeah don't really know who's it aimed at. I imagine most people who wanted a 3ds already have one. 3ds does have a pretty great library although shame games are way too expensive for what they are.

agreed. Also a shame sony just doesnt turn the vita into a phone / replace it with a phone as it had potential but noone was interested in it.
Lego games are generally pretty good, it doesn't matter what age you are.
Original post by quasa
agreed. Also a shame sony just doesnt turn the vita into a phone / replace it with a phone as it had potential but noone was interested in it.

Nokia did it back in the day with the N-Gage. It wasn't that good.

Most people don't want their phone battery life tied into their gaming habits.

Quick Reply

Latest