The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Because you don't have the right to shame someone for a choice they made that doesn't affect you. Do you shame everyone everytime they make a choice you disagree with? If so it's probably you that should be ashamed.
Just asking: when was the last time you heard a man being called a slut?

A person shouldn't be defined by the amount of relationships they have had.
Sluts don't exist btw.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by TrotskyiteRebel
if someone is a slut (and that includes men by the way) and s/he things there is nothing wrong with being a slut, why is that person shamed if called a slut? In other words, why can't people call you what you are?
That is just a major source of confusion to me.

You've just started WW3, congrats. Expect some rants.
Words have context behind them. Negro literally means black, but if you call a black person a negro, the unsaid implication is that you're using it as a pejorative. The same is the case for the word slut.

I'm surprised you have to ask this tbh, most people pick up the mechanics of conversation around about high school.
if someone is a slut (and that includes men by the way) and s/he things there is nothing wrong with being a slut, why is that person shamed if called a slut? In other words, why can't people call you what you are?

Because you dont have any right to shame, distress and harass someone else. Should you attempt to do so, then dont be surprised if you get a visit from the police.
Original post by Zargabaath
Words have context behind them. Negro literally means black, but if you call a black person a negro, the unsaid implication is that you're using it as a pejorative. The same is the case for the word slut.

I'm surprised you have to ask this tbh, most people pick up the mechanics of conversation around about high school.

I think the background of 'slut' is that it was a word used for women who did the housework or something(I'm not entirely sure atm)
Reply 7
I don't think there's anything wrong with slut shaming if its like bed hopping. I knew some girls that were disgusting and they were proud to be called sluts. Genuinely.

But some people call you a slut even if its like a serious relationship- and if you've had loads of serious relationships.

People have made this whole 'slut shaming' a thing by saying its demeaning women, but its also about men. And people slut shame because they hate sluts.
Original post by feministy
Just asking: when was the last time you heard a man being called a slut?

A person shouldn't be defined by the amount of relationships they have had.
Sluts don't exist btw.

To be fair, men also get called sluts; so that question is out of the window.

Lol I get called a fu*ckboy and manwhore quite a lot, it's worse when you get called it off your own mum and sister all the time. I know I'm not one, and I never will be one so I don't bother taking it personally, it's embarrassing to think some people are offended when they are called it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dictionary defines slut as "a woman who has many casual sexual partners." If there's nothing wrong with that (I'm not saying there is something wrong with having many casual partners neither am I saying it is not wrong, just trying to make a objective case), then I don't see why being called a slut should even be seen as derogatory. It's just an adjective then. So why get offended unless one subconsciously links 'having many casual sexual partners' as condemnatory and therefore themselves are guilty of what they accuse others to be - what a paradox!

Spoiler

Original post by RoyalSheepy
To be fair, men also get called sluts; so that question is out of the window.

I've only ever heard men being referred to as 'male sluts'. I don't get out much though lol.
Original post by feministy
I've only ever heard men being referred to as 'male sluts'.

Exactly, so they still get called 'sluts'.
Original post by transient life
Dictionary defines slut as "a woman who has many casual sexual partners." If there's nothing wrong with that (I'm not saying there is something wrong with having many casual partners neither am I saying it is not wrong, just trying to make a objective case), then I don't see why being called a slut should even be seen as derogatory. It's just an adjective then. So why get offended unless one subconsciously links 'having many casual sexual partners' as condemnatory and therefore themselves are guilty of what they accuse others to be - what a paradox!

Spoiler

Read something like this somewhere a long time ago-
In the English Language there are about 200 words to describe women with many sexual partners(and similar. Whilst there are only about 12 of these kinds of words to describe men.
Original post by LiamHolt
Because you don't have the right to shame someone for a choice they made that doesn't affect you. Do you shame everyone everytime they make a choice you disagree with? If so it's probably you that should be ashamed.

it's only shaming if you define it as shaming.

Original post by 999tigger
Because you dont have any right to shame, distress and harass someone else. Should you attempt to do so, then dont be surprised if you get a visit from the police.

some people don't agree with sexual promiscuity and they have the right to have their opinion defended. Maybe they don't want to live in a society that celebrates it. Maybe they dont agree with living in a country that has the highest rate of teen pregnancy.
Original post by transient life

Spoiler

I think if they think there is nothing wrong with what they do they should not feel shamed and slut shaming would actually only be slut calling. It's their own insecurity that they express.
it's only shaming if you define it as shaming.

some people don't agree with sexual promiscuity and they have the right to have their opinion defended. Maybe they don't want to live in a society that celebrates it. Maybe they dont agree with living in a country that has the highest rate of teen pregnancy.

You can have an opinion its when you cross the line and attempt to harass and distress someone else that you get into trouble. You dont appear to understand what slut shaming actually is. If you dont like living here then go and live elsewhere.
Reply 17
"slut" is a derogatory term. simple as. most people who use the term confer that they look down on the person who they're calling a slut, reducing them as a person to just someone who gets around a lot.
Original post by 999tigger
You can have an opinion its when you cross the line and attempt to harass and distress someone else that you get into trouble. You dont appear to understand what slut shaming actually is. If you dont like living here then go and live elsewhere.

yea you shouldn't harass anyone. But sometimes I just say 'no i dont like sluts' and people say im not supposed to say that. All I said was that I dont want a slut to be my girlfriend and I dont get what is wrong with that.
yea you shouldn't harass anyone. But sometimes I just say 'no i dont like sluts' and people say im not supposed to say that. All I said was that I dont want a slut to be my girlfriend and I dont get what is wrong with that.

That isnt slut shaming.

Latest