The Student Room Group

Work experience for medicine

Hi guys, I'm looking for work experience to get into medicine but no matter how much I surf the internet, I can never find any. I live in the UK (London), so it would be great if anyone has any information for various forms of experience in London. Any help would be very much appreciated, thanks. :-)
Reply 1
Original post by georgelagalle
Hi guys, I'm looking for work experience to get into medicine but no matter how much I surf the internet, I can never find any. I live in the UK (London), so it would be great if anyone has any information for various forms of experience in London. Any help would be very much appreciated, thanks. :-)

NHS is a great place to start! You are so lucky you live in London and there are so many great hospitals there! I would be applying as a HCA to every hospital if I was you! Especially areas like A&E, theatres, ITU and even EAU or MAU, that's where you see doctors a lot especially juniors. Any hospital will take you if you're interested in medicine, I would even call HR and ask for vacancies or even joking STAFFBANK which means you're on 0 contract but there are shifts all the time which means you can work anywhere in the hospital. Trust me working in NHS gives you great opportunity and insight. I don't care what people say about NHS it's simply great!
Thanks for the guidance, I will definitely have a look.
Original post by georgelagalle

Hi there!

Firstly, it might be a good idea to look up different types of work experience to get a feel for the kinds of opportunities available to you:

- Volunteering
- GP placements
- Hospital placements

Try contacting different hospitals and GPs in your local area in London to see if you can gain work experience there. You might find it useful to read our Step-by-Step Guide to Gaining Medical Work Experience to help you!

You could also try contacting local care homes or hospices to volunteer. This is a great way of gaining experience and developing key skills needed for Medicine, like communication and empathy. You could try shadowing a healthcare professional or gaining experience working in a pharmacy.

Another thing to do would be to contact your school's careers department and see if they can help you find a placement - other students in the past may have completed placements locally. You could also ask friends, family members and other acquaintances if they know anybody working for the NHS.

Don't forget too that some medical schools (like Brighton and Sussex) place equal emphasis on medical and non-medical work experience, so it might be helpful to do your research for the medical schools you're applying to.

You might find it useful to look at our section on Work Experience here. This has lots of info on where to volunteer, and different types of work experience.

We also have a few relevant blogs:
- How to Find Medical Work Experience
- Medical Work Experience: My Top Tips

Good luck!

Hope this helps! :smile:
The Medic Portal

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending