The Student Room Group

Napier University Graphic Design interview (2017)

As I would have loved to have more information on Napiers interview process for graphic design myself, I thought I would share how my experience went...hope it helps...
(unconditional offer)

After sending In a digital portfolio for the start of January I heard back on the beginning on February asking me to attend an interview in a few weeks time.
The email invitation was very vague as it only had one sentence about the interview itself.
"Please bring ONE PIECE OF PHYSICAL WORK to discuss at interview. Please do not arrive with a full physical portfolio."

I originally expected the interview to be one-on-one, however when I got there on the day I saw about 11 other applicants. Overall it was a very relaxed group interview that lasted about 1 and a half hours.
(I think this is a fairly new method of how they interviewed the applicants, so it may change again)

We had a discussion at the start where we got told about the course and shown examples of the work. We then got taken on a tour of the art department from a student. When we came back to the interview room we were asked to present our piece to the group explain what it was. The interview asked some questions about the piece, and also asked others to give their opinion on it.

My one piece of physical work was a development sheet for ticket design starting from basic sketches to the final outcome. This was a self generated project I made for the interview.

I would recommend taking a graphics based piece if you can as the interviewer seemed to like that more than expressive drawings and artwork. (also the interviewer did make a comment about how she was bored of seeing work from higher graphic communication as many of them look the same) However there was a mix of both at my interview. Just take a piece you are proud of and feel like you could talk about confidently. But if you are taking a drawing find a way that it could relate to design as she did ask that. I would come prepared with brief knowledge of designers that inspire you, as although she didn't ask about you about them, she seemed to be impressed when you brought them up.

At the end of the interviewer said we should hear back within a few weeks. They would take both the interview and the digital portfolio into consideration. However I was lucky enough to hear back the day after with an unconditional offer.

Hope this was helpful :h:
Original post by abbiestrachan13
As I would have loved to have more information on Napiers interview process for graphic design myself, I thought I would share how my experience went...hope it helps...
(unconditional offer)

After sending In a digital portfolio for the start of January I heard back on the beginning on February asking me to attend an interview in a few weeks time.
The email invitation was very vague as it only had one sentence about the interview itself.
"Please bring ONE PIECE OF PHYSICAL WORK to discuss at interview. Please do not arrive with a full physical portfolio."

I originally expected the interview to be one-on-one, however when I got there on the day I saw about 11 other applicants. Overall it was a very relaxed group interview that lasted about 1 and a half hours.
(I think this is a fairly new method of how they interviewed the applicants, so it may change again)

We had a discussion at the start where we got told about the course and shown examples of the work. We then got taken on a tour of the art department from a student. When we came back to the interview room we were asked to present our piece to the group explain what it was. The interview asked some questions about the piece, and also asked others to give their opinion on it.

My one piece of physical work was a development sheet for ticket design starting from basic sketches to the final outcome. This was a self generated project I made for the interview.

I would recommend taking a graphics based piece if you can as the interviewer seemed to like that more than expressive drawings and artwork. (also the interviewer did make a comment about how she was bored of seeing work from higher graphic communication as many of them look the same) However there was a mix of both at my interview. Just take a piece you are proud of and feel like you could talk about confidently. But if you are taking a drawing find a way that it could relate to design as she did ask that. I would come prepared with brief knowledge of designers that inspire you, as although she didn't ask about you about them, she seemed to be impressed when you brought them up.

At the end of the interviewer said we should hear back within a few weeks. They would take both the interview and the digital portfolio into consideration. However I was lucky enough to hear back the day after with an unconditional offer.

Hope this was helpful :h:

Thanks so much for this! Got my interview next Friday
Original post by SketchyStudent
Thanks so much for this! Got my interview next Friday

Good luck! I hope it goes well :smile:)

Quick Reply

Latest