Turn on thread page Beta

My website now up and running now watch

ReputationRep:
    It almost makes me want to visit Manchester.

I had no problems with firefox, but then I have setting set so that I have a nice mauve background so i can read it without coloured lenses.

It might be worth giving a choice of background colour but just one thing NO FLASH - THANK YOU

ReputationRep:
    Do you get commission for gig tickets sold, surely that'd be a much nicer way to pay for the site than google ads?

ReputationRep:
    I don't mean to be rude but I am nt sure who the site is aimed at. Anyone who knows manchester and is interested i that sort of music will know all the information you have and those who are interested but don't know manchester will probably buy timeout (if there's a manchester version). Also, the design is very off-putting. You need some space.

MB

ReputationRep:
    in the about section, is it meant to say:

....this helped spread the North Soul music scene, which was......

ReputationRep:
    fix the design.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Do you get commission for gig tickets sold, surely that'd be a much nicer way to pay for the site than google ads?
    I am working on this, I need a little bit more traffic on the site then I will be contacting companies such as Piccidilly Box Office and Ticketmaster. If I could do that I could get rid of the google adds.

As for target audience the idea is its just not about gigs and stuff, its about history (i.e the older bands) and there is a forum on there too. Its a lot more interactive than the magazines and there is also more gigs on there (I think). It has more than 120 gigs for the remains of 2004 alone and I am still adding more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    It almost makes me want to visit Manchester.

I had no problems with firefox, but then I have setting set so that I have a nice mauve background so i can read it without coloured lenses.

It might be worth giving a choice of background colour but just one thing NO FLASH - THANK YOU
    I was thinking of maybe offering an alternative stylesheet like a new skin but that may be a bit gimmicky. As for flash that is another thing why I hope my site will be different, because its mainly CSS based and has hardly and graphics and no flash it loads of really quickly. A lot of the similar sites take ages to load up even on a fast connection because of all the flash animations which are pointless.

ReputationRep:
    praps you could find some sort of xml stream or something, from the ticket companies, so you dont ahve to manually update and add gigs yourself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I was thinking of maybe offering an alternative stylesheet like a new skin but that may be a bit gimmicky. As for flash that is another thing why I hope my site will be different, because its mainly CSS based and has hardly and graphics and no flash it loads of really quickly. A lot of the similar sites take ages to load up even on a fast connection because of all the flash animations which are pointless.
    i know it loads really fast but when you first look at it, i have a feeling people will go: hmm....looks a bit tacky.. soemtimes graphics can help..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    praps you could find some sort of xml stream or something, from the ticket companies, so you dont ahve to manually update and add gigs yourself?
    That would be great I am not sure how easy it would be in practise though. In a few months time getting comission and getting live information would be perfect. Its not worth doing though until the site is on google etc and has visitors.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 21, 2004
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.