A/A* Macbeth quotes???Watch
Instead, focus on a plot thread or motif and analyse that in detail using quotes to support your points; for example in MacBeth, you have the idea of power, and how it can corrupt, for that I'd contrast two quotes, one from the beginning of the play, and one from the end, to illustrate how power has corrupted him and caused his downfall.
'My dearest partner of greatness'
- Dearest connotes preciousness, showing how much they trust each other
- The word partner implies a more ambitious relationship, but also shows that their power in the relationship is considered equal. This is unusual particularly in a patriarchal society.
- The use of superlative stresses how important they are to each other.
'Great Neptune's ocean could not wash away his stain of guilt'
- The blood symbolises guilt for Macbeth
- The hyperbole of a god's ocean shows that even a large amount of water can not wash away his deed
- Banquo's death has really got too him, and he is showing extreme signs of regret.
- This contrasts greatly to Lady Macbeth's feelings when she said 'A little water clears us of this deed'- this perhaps contrasts the difference in ambition for power.
This quote is prevalent throughout the entire novel; for example, the witches appear to be helping Macbeth, but they do not, Macbeth seems like a strong warrior (which he is), but in his marriage, his wife (Lady Macbeth) controls him; this is very strange as at the time in which the story was set, the man was the dominant partner.
Does anybody know A/A* quotations from Macbeth that can be analysed in depth?
Hope it helps.
Posted from TSR Mobile