amazedmatt
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi, I have to do an EPQ presentation for the investigation part of the EPQ and I have no idea what to say! Does anyone know how I can set it out in order to gain high marks and present it effectively?

Thanks!
Normy18
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Mine was on Wednesday and to be honest it was okay and I wasn't really prepared for it. You just talk about your essay for about 10 minutes and then show off related things to your survey (mine was a survey and a taste-test, but it could be your artefact, interview video, or nothing else if you didn't do this). They will ask you questions like:

What have you learnt since completing your EPQ? Here are my answers:

Improved my time management; having to do all the research and writing on top of school and other activities meant that I had to learn to balance my time and make use of my spare time.

Research Skills. I learned how to be selective in my reading and only select the areas that were relevant to my essay. Widened the variety of sources I got my information from: not just books written by nutritionists, but articles, videos and some more contemporary sources.

Structuring Essays. With so much information it was important to have a clear structure to the essay. Having organised such a large amount of information in my EPQ it will be easier in other essays.

Improved my ability to learn independently. This a really enjoyable aspect of the EPQ because if you found an area that particularly interested you, then you were free to look at it in more detail, something which you can’t do so much in your A-level subjects.

The will possibly ask you about the validity of your sources too, but you just need to mention the sources that you believed weren't as reliable and why, and the ones you thought were reliable and why.

I got asked about the +ves and -ves of my EPQ.

I also got asked if I changed anything since starting the essay - this is in your log book so basically read what you put in there.

Don't start reading your EPQ word-for-word, just look at the subheading and then talk about what you remember about that part of your EPQ (It's good to get to know your EPQ essay before your presentation).

Look at the person you're talking to.

Try to not say 'errr' or 'hummmm' - if you're thinking of an answer then just pause and then say your answer (this will be tricky as its what we all do without realising)

Don't worry about the presentation too much, just remain positive and it will all go smoothly
amazedmatt
Rep:
?
(Original post by Normy18)
Mine was on Wednesday and to be honest it was okay and I wasn't really prepared for it. You just talk about your essay for about 10 minutes and then show off related things to your survey (mine was a survey and a taste-test, but it could be your artefact, interview video, or nothing else if you didn't do this). They will ask you questions like:

Improved my time management; having to do all the research and writing on top of school and other activities meant that I had to learn to balance my time and make use of my spare time.

Research Skills. I learned how to be selective in my reading and only select the areas that were relevant to my essay. Widened the variety of sources I got my information from: not just books written by nutritionists, but articles, videos and some more contemporary sources.

Structuring Essays. With so much information it was important to have a clear structure to the essay. Having organised such a large amount of information in my EPQ it will be easier in other essays.

Improved my ability to learn independently. This a really enjoyable aspect of the EPQ because if you found an area that particularly interested you, then you were free to look at it in more detail, something which you can’t do so much in your A-level subjects.

The will possibly ask you about the validity of your sources too, but you just need to mention the sources that you believed weren't as reliable and why, and the ones you thought were reliable and why.

I also got asked if I changed anything since starting the essay - this is in your log book so basically read what you put in there.

Don't start reading your EPQ word-for-word, just look at the subheading and then talk about what you remember about that part of your EPQ (It's good to get to know your EPQ essay before your presentation).

Try to not say 'errr' or 'hummmm' - if you're thinking of an answer then just pause and then say your answer (this will be tricky as its what we all do without realising)

Don't worry about the presentation too much, just remain positive and it will all go smoothly

Thank you so much!!
Normy18
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by amazedmatt)
Thank you so much!!
No problem Good luck!!
Vikingninja
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Normy's explanation was pretty good already and gave a lot of what I was going to say.

My EPQ was a pure research by reading EPQ whilst emailing some people. For my presentation I basically spoke about each section that I had and what I found but make sure to condense it for 10 minutes and so that the people you are giving it to understand it (I was talking about astrobiology/physics to psychology, art, chemistry, law etc. Students). I also had a slide about problems I encountered. A more minimalistic PowerPoint presentation is better because it means less reading for your guests and instead pay attention to your speaking more so are more engaged. I would also prepare a script to try and follow so that you know what to say and practice it before. I brung it to the session but my tutor didn't collect it (would've down marked me) as I didn't need to use it.

Make sure to read your EPQ writing as well so that you can prepare for questions. Your tutor will ask questions about the project itself or specific areas that they are interested in or confused about, I had to explain in further detail about how a turning spaceship would provide artificial gravity. Depends on who else is in the room on how many more questions you will be asked.
amazedmatt
Rep:
?
(Original post by Vikingninja)
Normy's explanation was pretty good already and gave a lot of what I was going to say.

My EPQ was a pure research by reading EPQ whilst emailing some people. For my presentation I basically spoke about each section that I had and what I found but make sure to condense it for 10 minutes and so that the people you are giving it to understand it (I was talking about astrobiology/physics to psychology, art, chemistry, law etc. Students). I also had a slide about problems I encountered. A more minimalistic PowerPoint presentation is better because it means less reading for your guests and instead pay attention to your speaking more so are more engaged. I would also prepare a script to try and follow so that you know what to say and practice it before. I brung it to the session but my tutor didn't collect it (would've down marked me) as I didn't need to use it.

Make sure to read your EPQ writing as well so that you can prepare for questions. Your tutor will ask questions about the project itself or specific areas that they are interested in or confused about, I had to explain in further detail about how a turning spaceship would provide artificial gravity. Depends on who else is in the room on how many more questions you will be asked.
Ok thanks guys, I have mine on Thursday!
Akramrahman
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi guys if you want an A* example of an EPQ presentation, here you go! https://youtu.be/aBrxSV3NWl0
If you have any question ask me ~the spectra
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (6)
35.29%
No - I have already returned home (2)
11.76%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (6)
35.29%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (0)
0%
No - I live at home during term anyway (3)
17.65%

Watched Threads