Organic chemistry help?

Watch this thread
justineromaine
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,
Could anybody help me identify these skeletal formulae?
Name:  ORGANIC CHEMISTRY.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  4.0 KB
I'm really struggling with this !
Thanks!
Gerry-Atricks
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
Number of lines/branches equals length of carbon chain so first one has 3 of them and so is prop- , the two lines indicates a double bond so it ends in ene so this is prop-2-ene, understand?
Alextox
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
From left to right

(E)-but-2-ene

butan-2-one

butane

butyraldehyde

butyric acid
an_atheist
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by justineromaine)
Hi,
Thanks!
The ends of each line represent a carbon atom. the number of lines represent the number of carbon-carbon bonds present.

Are you having difficulty with the functional groups at all?
bleak_rage
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by justineromaine)
Hi,
Thanks!
Hi!

You can use the following link to learn about the order of functional groups as in, which one should be given the highest priority while naming them.

http://www.masterorganicchemistry.co...-nomenclature/

Hopefully this helped!
TheFailedMedic
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Using IUPAC naming you get (from left to right):

1. but-2-ene (Alkene - C=C)

2. butan-2-one (Ketone - RCOR)

3. butane (Alkane - C-C)

4. butanal (Aldehyde - RCHO)

5. butanoic acid (Carboxylic acid - COOH)
Gerry-Atricks
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Alextox)
From left to right

(E)-but-2-ene

butan-2-one

butane

butyraldehyde

butyric acid
The last two are wrong ( or at least uncommon, should be butanal and butanoic acid) and we try to help people understand in study help not give them the answers.
Alextox
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by glad-he-ate-her)
The last two are wrong ( or at least uncommon, should be butanal and butanoic acid) and we try to help people understand in study help not give them the answers.
The last two are right and those names are not uncommon. Take as example the ethanoic acid, it's more common to say acetic acid. This also happens with formaldehyde (it's weird to call it methanal). However, all those nouns are accepted by the IUPAC.

Perhaps I should have given to the user a small introduction to organic chemistry nomenclature rather than the answers. Perhaps, the user can name others structures likewise
Gerry-Atricks
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
The last two are right and those names are not uncommon. Take as example the ethanoic acid, it's more common to say acetic acid. This also happens with formaldehyde (it's weird to call it methanal). However, all those nouns are accepted by the IUPAC.

Perhaps I should have given to the user a small introduction to organic chemistry nomenclature rather than the answers. Perhaps, the user can name others structures likewise
Oh thanks for that then but all the mark schemes ive looked at in A level chemistry call aldehydes by the -al suffix and carboxylic acids by the oic acid suffix so they may lose a mark by not using the common answers, though yours are technically right, its better safe than sorry with these specific mark schemes
Alextox
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by glad-he-ate-her)
Oh thanks for that then but all the mark schemes ive looked at in A level chemistry call aldehydes by the -al suffix and carboxylic acids by the oic acid suffix so they may lose a mark by not using the common answers, though yours are technically right, its better safe than sorry with these specific mark schemes
You're welcome

I totally agree with you. Therefore answer like they taught you in order to avoid any mishap

Good luck!!!
Gerry-Atricks
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
You're welcome

I totally agree with you. Therefore answer like they taught you in order to avoid any mishap

Good luck!!!
Thank you
Bulletzone
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TheFailedMedic)
Using IUPAC naming you get (from left to right):

1. but-2-ene (Alkene - C=C)

2. butan-2-one (Ketone - RCOR)

3. butane (Alkane - C-C)

4. butanal (Aldehyde - RCHO)

5. butanoic acid (Carboxylic acid - COOH)
The answers you need.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (20)
16.95%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (31)
26.27%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (63)
53.39%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
3.39%

Watched Threads