The Student Room Group

Work experience placement in physiotherapy

Is shadowing a physio therapist relevant enough for a prospective medical student
Well, it's not ideal. Personally I wouldn't bother. Med schools want to know that you have a realistic idea of what working as a doctor is like and have been committed to becoming one for a reasonable length of time. They also want you to be able to give examples of situations where you've shown characteristics important for a doctor like empathy and good communication skills and actually caring about people. These things are easy to achieve with a combination of shadowing doctors (or even just talking to them) and long-term volunteering in a caring setting where you actually get to help and interact with patients (essential). Shadowing a physiotherapist would tell them nothing about these things they're looking for, really.
Reply 2
I don't agree. Physiotherapists are part of the multidisciplinary team, and appreciating that role, and how they work with doctors, is valuable

Physios also interact with patients and deliver care, so though it's not exactly the same as a doctor, a lot of the same principles apply

I wouldn't say it's enough on its own, but that doesn't mean it's not worth doing. You could certainly get valuable things to talk about in your PS/at interview

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending