Ramadan during exams... Watch

carrotxox
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
For those who don't know:
Ramadan is a Muslim thing were people fast for 30 days...

and coincidentally, it falls right between GCSEs.

Now, I don't fast (I see you groaning, wait a bit) but my school is 99% Muslim, and I guarantee that most of them will be fasting.
The thing is, it's exams, Ramadan starts around 27th May or somewhere near there, which is basically exam season.
I'm gonna want to eat, but I won't be able to because I'll feel too bad for everyone fasting (and of course, everyone judges you)
Do you have tips for people who are fasting because I bet that's why most people clicked on this.
And also...What should I do?
Steve5427
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by carrotxox)

and coincidentally, it fails right between GCSEs.

Now, I don't fast (I see you groaning, wait a bit) but my school is 99% Muslim, and I guarantee that most of them will be fasting.
The thing is, it's exams, Ramadan falls starts around 27th May or somewhere near there, which is basically exam season.
I'm gonna want to eat, but I won't be able to because I'll feel too bad for everyone fasting (and of course, everyone judges you)
Do you have tips for people who are fasting because I bet that's why most people clicked on this.
Just eat I would . Up to you
laurawatt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you have to, even go into the school loos to get a bite to eat at break and lunch
Good luck!
username2390469
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi, i am a Muslim who will fast. Tbh and tbf i think you should eat and not worry about what others think. If you are a Muslim, you maybe a bit frowned upon but then again, these are exams that determine you future, or sort of do. If your not Muslims then you shouldn't even be worrying about this, as a lot of my friends arnt muslims and so do not fast, and hardly anybody takes offence or even cares tbh.
username1439610
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

The thing is, it's exams, Ramadan starts around 27th May or somewhere near there, which is basically exam season.
Put your examinations first as they'll be important for you in the future. If that means missing a few days of fasting then so be it. It was a similar situation last year and a lot of my friends didn't fast during the exam period.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mosope17
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Eat. You will be able to concentrate better and therefore get better grades.
If they what to judge you, let them judge you. At the end of the day it is your religion and your grades. Your the one who has to put whatever grades you get on your Cv not them.
dogears
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Most Muslims don't care plus there'll be some girls that cant fast sometimes. I had a mate that didn't fast because her parents thought she was 6 not 16.

Also you guys have it easy in school while you're fasting, its even worse when you have to work.
username2427341
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm a Muslim and I'm going to be fasting by if fasting is something your not use to then just eat don't worry about what others say, they don't have the right to judge you. But maybe you can try fasting during the weekends and when you have your exam don't fast that day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
urgurlbecca
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

If you're female just tell everyone you're having a really long period
Kaneki Ken
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

as a muslim, if u dont fast then eat if u want, muslims fast for the sake of God AlMighty so its shudnt matter if u eat if they get sensitive then theyre being silly
i have people eating burgers and chips infront of me couldnt give one lol

in terms of muslims fasting and time managment......judt revise hard now so wen exam/ramadhn happens your just reading over notes, organise ur sleep really well also
Pink_Sparkles
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

I m a Muslim and I fast too but u shouldnt worry about others like if ur not fasting what is their problem? dont worry too much . Eat like a normal person and concentrate on ur exams cuz in our religion we r taught patience from these things so even if u eat in front of Muslims unintentionally its ok. Muslims who r fasting wouldnt and shouldnt mind
Plantagenet Crown
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Just eat and tell them to stuff their judgement where the sun don't shine. If they want to put their grades in jeopardy then that's up to them, but they shouldn't expect you to do the same.
tamanna___
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Hey
I'm speaking from a Muslim point of view, when I'm fasting and see people eating it doesn't bother me honestly, my old school was 99% Muslim too and it honestly doesn't matter. If your no fasting your allowed to eat so go ahead!!

Some people don't fast on the day of their exams just so they can grab a bite to eat, so you won't be alone.

I don't know what the people are like in your school but if they're judging you, it's wrong and it sure does tell you something about the intention of their fast.

Anywho, when exams come round make sure you get enough rest and food!
Jirga
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Just skip it on the exam days and keep them after. Ignore people judging you, your religion is between yourself and god, you don't need to give anyone an explanation.
Ladymusiclover
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Don't feel bad. I went to an exam centre where a few were fasting. Tough. I need to drink water and have food to concentrate. It's a choice they made that shouldn't affect you.
HAnwar
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well you should fast that's what you should do. Fasting comes first then your exams.
You'll be fine, the people telling you it'll affect your exams don't know what they're talking about. As long as you eat properly and healthily it won't affect your exams. And get a decent amount of sleep too.

And if you really aren't gonna fast then at least have some respect and not eat in front of people who are fasting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Claire461
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by HAnwar)
Well you should fast that's what you should do. Fasting comes first then your exams.
You'll be fine, the people telling you it'll affect your exams don't know what they're talking about. As long as you eat properly and healthily it won't affect your exams. And get a decent amount of sleep too.

And if you really aren't gonna fast then at least have some respect and not eat in front of people who are fasting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fasting at this time is unreasonable. She cannot focus on revision/exams if she is hungry and fasting. It is unfair to put such pressure on young people when they are expected by their parents to do well, but insist on these outdated practices. The parents won't be happy if she doesn't do well in her exams, but then, it won't be Allah who will be looking at her CV, will it?
Pink_Sparkles
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by HAnwar)

Posted from TSR Mobile
HAnwar , I think she is not a Muslim thats why she needed advice I think as to how will she eat in front of Muslims who r fasting !? or maybe even if she is a muslim , she might have some problem thats why ??
SoulfulTwist
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think that's considerate of you.
However, a Muslim should understand if you do eat.

Advice for those fasting, eat healthily in between fasts, and drink water too. Rest well. There's a lot out there, telling you what the right foods are for these longer fasts, and lots of guidance. Follow them.
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Don't feel bad about it.

Do as you wish.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (238)
14.83%
The paper was reasonable (896)
55.83%
Not feeling great about that exam... (352)
21.93%
It was TERRIBLE (119)
7.41%

Watched Threads