The Student Room Group

A Level Latin?

Hi this is my first post on TSR so bear with me!
I'm studying Latin for GCSE, the Cambridge Course and the exam board is WJEC. My exams are this year, last year I did a half GCSE (I think that's what my teacher called it) and I got an A. I enjoy Latin and I was wondering how much more difficult an A Level would be as I would like to carry on studying it! I'm good with learning vocab, it's just grammar I have a pain with.
If you did Latin at A Level would you recommend it and how different was it to GCSE Level?
Thanks in advance!
I only studied German at GCSE so I cannot help an awful lot, however I do not believe it gets so much more difficult going into A-Level. I mean if you think about it what more different things can you learn? I mean it's not like other subjects where you have to learn harder methods and understand new ideas.

Chances are the speaking and writing segments will be longer pieces and the other exams will be more complex with a higher breadth of vocabulary and such.
I'm glad you're considering it as an A-Level option! There isn't too much of a jump from GCSE to A-Level, but there will be more grammar to learn (particularly even more things that you can do with the subjunctive!), but as long as you use the coming summer to make sure you revise your GCSE grammar, you'll be in a good place to start.

As you're doing WJEC at the moment, there's a possibility you might not have studied set texts before (WJEC offer two separate Latin qualifications - Latin Language and Latin Literature - both of which are the equivalent of 1 GCSE). If you haven't done any set texts before, then this might be the biggest change you'll find, as you'll start reading authors in the original Latin, which can be quite tricky until you get used to it.

Nonetheless, if you keep up to speed with the grammar and vocab, the set texts hopefully won't prove too much of a challenge. :smile:

Quick Reply