The Student Room Group

What's A level sociology like?

Hello, I'm currently in year 11 and i'm unclear if I should to take Sociology I enjoy essay based subjects and the course sounds extremely interesting. If anyone has taken sociology and succeeded could you please help me out and how you revised for sociology and what grade you got. Thank you for reading?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Danny Dorito so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

I hope this isn't too late for you now, but I couldn't recommend sociology highly enough! I do AQA sociology and am in the second year, my first exam being next Thursday. :smile: The topics we've covered over the two years are education, families and households, beliefs in society and crime and deviance. As well as those topics, we also cover sociological research methods in various forms, which gives a bit more insight into whta it's actually like to be a sociologist and how you can discover what there is to be discovered! Personally I've found it all really exciting, crime and deviance slightly less so since it has less relevance to my own life (although in the run-up to the general election it's feeling a lot more relevant, since one of the key concepts is of crime arising from social instability...). It is really enjoyable because it's so relevant to the world today and it's great fro challenging your preconceptions of the world, no space to take things for granted! Being good at essay writing is essential and it sounds like you've got that covered. I will warn you that there is a high volume of content to learn so it's definitely one of the more academic and challenging subjects, though I think if you have enough personal interest that does a lot towards carrying you through.

I got an A last year and am predicted an A* or A this year depending on how high I dare to hope. As for how I revise... well I don't do nearly as much as I should so I'll just sweep that under the carpet for now shall I?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending