Lying to Student Finance?

Watch this thread
olivia30
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I know someone who I believe is lying in order to get a bigger loan. Her parents are divorced and she is using her dad's address to apply to Student Finance Wales instead of Student Finance England, and her dad's lower income will also get her a much higher loan. She does not and has not ever lived at that address.

Should I do anything about this? If so, what do I do? It annoys me because of how unfair it is, but maybe I am just being petty because this person has done unfair things to me in the past.

Thanks
imaginatxr
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
Drop that b*tch straight in it.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Okay, it's fraud, but at the end of the day it doesn't affect you so don't be a busy body and leave it be - thousands upon thousands of students do it year after year.
Desirascal98
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by olivia30)
I know someone who I believe is lying in order to get a bigger loan. Her parents are divorced and she is using her dad's address to apply to Student Finance Wales instead of Student Finance England, and her dad's lower income will also get her a much higher loan. She does not and has not ever lived at that address.

Should I do anything about this? If so, what do I do? It annoys me because of how unfair it is, but maybe I am just being petty because this person has done unfair things to me in the past.

Thanks
Babe if u wanna hustle u got to hustle

Posted from TSR Mobile
Whispers
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
It is fraud, but she'll have to pay back more at the end of the day, so it'll come back around eventually. It's not free money at the end of the day and she'll have to pay interest, so her loss in the long run. It's not like it's free money. If it were a grant or a scholarship, I'd say report it, because they're usually limited and it wouldn't be fair.
olivia30
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by AaronNaughton)
It is fraud, but she'll have to pay back more at the end of the day, so it'll come back around eventually. It's not free money at the end of the day and she'll have to pay interest, so her loss in the long run. It's not like it's free money. If it were a grant or a scholarship, I'd say report it, because they're usually limited and it wouldn't be fair.
I was under the impression that SFW gave you a grant for around half of the tuition? Or did they stop this? I could be just behind the times.
Whispers
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I was under the impression that SFW gave you a grant for around half of the tuition? Or did they stop this? I could be just behind the times.
You could be right... In that case, yeah report it. I didn't know that about SFW
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
What proof do you have she's actually lying? It has nothing to do with you.
sophia5892
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
As far as I'm aware that's still the case and quite possibly why she's doing it!
I believe Welsh students pay around £4k fees through tuition loan and the rest is a grant.

I'd struggle in that situation. Part of me would be incredibly angry she was getting 15k in tuition grant that she's not entitled to. But then, I imagine lots of students do use loopholes to work for them. It's up to you if you think it's worth reporting.
username3114760
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Having looked at Student Finance England and Student Finance Wales it appears you can only get a tuition fee loan from the former, and you can get tuition fee loans and a partial tuition fee grant from the latter.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (14)
30.43%
Take a gap year (11)
23.91%
Resit my exams (8)
17.39%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (6)
13.04%
I don't know yet (4)
8.7%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
6.52%

Watched Threads