Help with AQA A-Level Physics?

Watch this thread
WC7867
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey all,

Hope revision is going okay for everyone! We're almost there...

I just wanted some advice on how to answer written/application questions in Physics exams, or to know if anyone else is struggling with it? I'm absolutely fine answering maths questions/remembering definitions etc. but I find the written/application questions extremely difficult to answer, even knowing all of the content.

I think it's because, for Physics, there are just so many different contexts the examiners put questions into, so it's hard to just memorise and adopt a specific technique/response (as I can do with both Biology and Chemistry). I'm doing loads of past paper questions, but they don't seem to be helping. As an example, the mass spec question on the second set Physics specimen paper (for those of you who've done it) I found atrocious.

Are there any resources/techniques anyone would recommend, or shall I keep going at it and hope I improve? I really need an A in order to make my offer for uni.

Thanks all
Dons1903
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
I'd love to be able to help you, but without a specific question I don't know what anyone can do. The main fundament with science, is that if we know the correct answer, then that is the correct answer. There's no need to write essays where one sentence will do. It's been a long time since I was at school, but if you understand the theory, then you can absolutely write a sentence or two to explain it.

Why don't you give us a question from your material, and I'm sure I, or someone else will provide you with an answer!
bleak_rage
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Hi!

Just focus on the theory part and make sure you understand the basics. When they will be marking your paper they will use the marking scheme as a guideline only; if they see that your answer fits the context then you'll definitely get the mark.

You can also do loads of past years and if you stumble upon any 'suggest' questions, write down the answers in a paper and go through them while revising. Most questions are fairly similar and sometimes even repetitive.

Hope that helped and all the best!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (19)
17.76%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (28)
26.17%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (56)
52.34%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
3.74%

Watched Threads