The Student Room Group

Pharmacy - urgent help required

Okay, I'm sending off my application within the next two days and need to know which (London based) pharmacy unis I should apply to. However, this is solely as a back-up career.
I'm applying for medicine (that's what my P.S is on) and hence need to find a pharmacy uni that don't interview and don't mind whether or not I've mentioned pharmacy in my personal statement. Also, what are my chances of getting into pharmacy through clearing? I know it will most likely be a random, out of London uni...

Any ideas? I'm currently looking into Medway and Kingston.
Chemistry is the traditional "backup" you know... pharmacy is pretty competitive.
Reply 2
Pharmacy is very competitive at the moment. I know that the "good" uni's in london ask for real silly grades. LSOP are asking for ABB! -they are one of the best in London atm. I would say Kingston is a good bet also i would encourage you to look into Medicinal Chemistry ar UCL especially! Its very similar to Pharmacy but more about drug development and has very good career opportunities!

Kings may look at u too but depends if u are applying for Medicine there too!
ChrisRH
Chemistry is the traditional "backup" you know... pharmacy is pretty competitive.

Not true. Pharmacy is a pretty standard backup for medicine, dentistry etc And to be honest, I dont think its a highly competitve course. I believe LSOP ask for an additional personal statement.
Reply 4
Thanks for the replies thus far.

I've looked at KCL but for some reason or another as well as Bio and Chem (standard) they require one of Geography, Law, Politics, Sociology, History (humanities in other words) as a third A-Level. I'm studying Spanish but no modern languages were mentioned - so Kings is ruled out.

As for the additional personal statement, time is of the essence and it would be nigh on impossible for me to write one for pharmacy at this stage.
So is Kingston a relatively safe bet for a not-so-competitive, non interviewing uni? Anyone know details in regards to Medway? Whether they require a pharmacy related PS etc?

I'll also look into medicinal chemistry.
do you know that you cna send off your med application now, then add the 5th choice later at any date up to jan 15th?? if you're undecided, i'd go for this, give you the chance to havea proper think about it.
#1_Wasteman

As for the additional personal statement, time is of the essence and it would be nigh on impossible for me to write one for pharmacy at this stage.

You dont need to write it now, they will ask you for one if you get an offer in a couple of months time.
Reply 7
Ok then I'd definitely be able to write one in the future.

So which unis from the choice of Kingston, LSOP and Medway would be advisable in my situation? Note - the one that's less competitive and doesn't require an interview/is lenient in regards to my PS being based on medicine?

Any ideas?
Reply 8
three of my friends had personal statments about medicine, they put pharmacy at LSOP down as backups. they got invited to interview, and all three were given conditional offers. this was last year by the way. so suppose LSOP pretty lenient with medicine students.

oh and kingston/medway both good as insurance's. i applied for kingston- predicted grades were AAA. gt an offer without an interview.
Reply 9
smile, when you say you got an offer without interview, was that for pharmacy?

I've already put Kingston down as my back-up - but thanks a lot for the info.
I got Aston offer without interview also last year. It was a backup for Dentistry.
Reply 11
What jobs can you get with medicinal chem

Latest

Trending

Trending